Wrong font in Infoservice causes stuttering (1 Viewer)

Pog

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 7, 2009
    Wicklow
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    Its best to know what the particular character we have a problem with and try to fix it in the fonts.

Ok great, though it can be hard to tell which characters can be a problem.

One character that I have noticed is for the euro symbol "€" as it always seems to be in feeds that have problems.

Cheers.

catavolt

Design Group Manager
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 13, 2007
    Königstein (Taunus)
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Wrong font in Infoservice causes stuttering

StreamedMP uses the font family "Fluid" not supporting e.g. the Euro symbol (€). The skin engine of MP then has to switch to a font which will allow to display the symbol which causes stutter. A solution would be to use a font for RSS that supports ALL symbols (this applies also to Hebrew, Chinese etc.).
    BTW: Have the same problem in my skins... ;)

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Re: AW: Wrong font in Infoservice causes stuttering

StreamedMP uses the font family "Fluid" not supporting e.g. the Euro symbol (€). The skin engine of MP then has to switch to a font which will allow to display the symbol which causes stutter. A solution would be to use a font for RSS that supports ALL symbols (this applies also to Hebrew, Chinese etc.).

Again, I believe this is a problem with Infoservice, as the Euro (€) sign does exist in Fluid Body Caps, and it is mapped excactly like any other font, say Arial or Times New Roman.

But...in order to display a Euro-sign in MediaPortal, it must be converted to

My guess is that the plugin (or MediaPortal) doesn't do this conversion.

[EDIT] The forum insists on converting it to a real Euro-sign, but the code is (remove spaces):
    & # 8364;

[EDIT2] A page like this one can help you convert special characters to their entity variant:
    http://konieczny.be/unicode.html

edsche

Community Plugin Dev
    January 7, 2007
    Ulm
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Re: AW: Wrong font in Infoservice causes stuttering

Again, I believe this is a problem with Infoservice, as the Euro (€) sign does exist in Fluid Body Caps, and it is mapped excactly like any other font, say Arial or Times New Roman.

[EDIT] The forum insists on converting it to a real Euro-sign, but the code is (remove spaces):
    & # 8364;

[EDIT2] A page like this one can help you convert special characters to their entity variant:
    UTF-8 Unicode to HTML :: Piotr Konieczny
    Are you sure that MP is converting those html codes to it's real char? If so, it should be easy to implement a conversion of every char to the html code.

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Re: AW: Re: AW: Wrong font in Infoservice causes stuttering

& # 8364;

UTF-8 Unicode to HTML :: Piotr Konieczny
    Are you sure that MP is converting those html codes to it's real char? If so, it should be easy to implement a conversion of every char to the html code.

Well, if I hardcode a label with the above code, it will show a Euro-sign. But since Euro-signs and other stuff works other places in MediaPortal, I'm guessing that MP does some kind of conversion in these other places...

Take a look at this screenshot from the Wikipedia-plugin (search for Euro):

wikipedia.jpg

Does anyone have an actual RSS-feed, containg a Euro-sign? Just to test it out...

edsche

Community Plugin Dev
    January 7, 2007
    Ulm
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Wrong font in Infoservice causes stuttering

But that not a fadelabel or is it? Maybe the fadelabel does no conversion. I will have a look at the sources ;)

Slurm

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 16, 2006
    Graz
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    I still see this stutter when there are special chars in some news feeds.

Do I miss some setting or isn't there a solution yet?

krikkit

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 25, 2008
    Vienna
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    the solution is under the advanced settings tab of the plugin, there is a function where you can replace certain characters in the newsfeed...

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    This doesn't seem like a proper fix I'm afraid. I don't even know what characters are causing problems and thus need replacing in the Guardian feed The Guardian World News and even if I did, the filter config page is rather confusing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom