xbmc (Frodo) with pvr functions (1 Viewer)

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.

You forgot the wonderful Owlsroost dshowhelper developpment
    I don't forgot but I never was in a need for a changing. To be honest, I never tried them at all...
    And I now go back to watch crystal clear and razor-blade sharp HDTV with MediaPortal ;)

wouter1971

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 19, 2008
    Purmerend, Holland
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Lehmden: Now you are honest, you have VLC installed on your system for video playback above MP internal player. Because it plays all, that's especially where xbmc is doing a great job. It plays well and no codec hell.
    I don't want to think and i don't want to make a fool of myself when family and friends come over and i have to kill MP and go into configuration of MP to tweak codecs again.

Tomislav

Portal Member
    May 4, 2011
    Home Country
    Croatia Croatia
    I really don't understand what "codec hell" are you talking about. Once I set up my codec during first run, it plays everything just right. XBMC picture quality is just not adequate to that of MEPO, and the option to change codec is of paramount importance to every user that knows to appreciate picture quality. Why do you think that people develop "DSPlayer" for XBMC?

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Codec hell is in the past using LAV filters.

And so everyone has a fair opinion, I used xbmc frodo for a week with the registry hack + AutoHotkey to try and get full functionality out of my mce remote, failed miserably, channel up\down zoomed huh, not changed channel, Recorded TV did nothing, info did nothing, tv guide opened context menu (at last found it yippee).

That and the picture quality sucked in video's (LAV + Cuvid used in MP), also missed the Intelligent frame control plugin for black bars, and xbmc's version just could not cope correctly imo with this, I do like to fill up the screen as practicably as possible.
    Music views went a bit weird for me, all my albums have artist\album covers inside, when scanned, Nearly everyone showed the same picture associated to it, well I'm damn certain Katie Melua is not in U2 or any other group I can think of that her face adorned their album ;)

I could go on, but it does seem to be little things that niggle at you when you are using xbmc, if MP did not exist then I'm pretty certain i would be a user, as both are head and shoulders above the rest.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    HI.
    Lehmden: Now you are honest, you have VLC installed on your system for video playback above MP internal player. Because it plays all, that's especially where xbmc is doing a great job. It plays well and no codec hell.
    I don't want to think and i don't want to make a fool of myself when family and friends come over and i have to kill MP and go into configuration of MP to tweak codecs again.
    I'n not using VLC "above" MP's internal player, If I would do so I'm on the same level as with XBMC, what I really don't want. What the hell make you think I'm using VLC inside MP ??? VLC is on my PC for testing purposes e.G. if a damaged video file failed to play in WMP or MP Player, than I have a look at it with VLC to see if this file is completely damaged or can be rescued in some way. This is the only time I'm using VLC. If the file is not damaged It won't fail to play inside MP at all... ..
    Codecs are easily changeable in MP- GUI, if you want to. But I set up this once and never touched them again, as it's not necessary at all...
    hc_013.jpg

Tomislav

Portal Member
    May 4, 2011
    Home Country
    Croatia Croatia
    Even before LAV, I never experienced "codec hell". To be honest, I think that all this HTPC stuff is for enthusiasts that are willing to allways look for a way to make picture quality better and better and follow what is being developed that can boost your HTPC.

If you are not into all that, HTPC is a overkill. Just buy WD live or popcorn hour for half the price. I really don't see the reason to spend couple hundred euros just to boot linux and one app. I use MEPO, XBMC with DSPlayer, MPC HC with madvr, FFDShow postprocession for XVID, Totalmedia theatre for BluRay, Potplayer when I need external subtitles on my BluRays that don't have subtitles in my language, WMC for PVR... That's the reason you build HTPC, if you just want to watch movie now and then, it's not worth it (money or time).

tompa

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 3, 2005
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Anyone know how to set up XBMC to use an MS MCE remote properly? It's a joke in the default setup. Also, how do I get XBMC to import TV-Series?

Emph

I use a MCE remote (and it is a true MCE remote and not just an imitation keyboard type remote) and it sees to work a treat with the Frodo (as it did with Eden) release of XBMC.

But to get that level of functionality I installed this...

http://xbmccustomregis.sourceforge.net/

the auto installer is here....

http://xbmccustomregis.sourceforge.net/remote_auto.html

Hi!
    When comparing this keyboard.xml file to the one who is default in xbmc I cant see any difference at all!?
    Maybe something has changed during the latest betas??

Any idea?
    /tompa

SciDoctor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 2, 2005
    England
    12.0 RC has been released and very impressed with progress made, most of my initial problems/impressions have now been somewhat ironed-out.

For a low powered system especially in the GPU dept XBMC makes an excellent client to go with the MP TV SERVER (the PVR is very clunky compared to MP though)

The GUI and GPU low overheads are impressive and the basic CODEC settings are a help on GPU of low power like ATI HD2400 pci and OB ATI HD4200.

The downside is that on a modern powerfull setup where limitations are not present ie HD7750 and dual core cpu's then MP GUI and codec choices give the better PQ.

I would put a cut off point around performacnce of an ATI HD4650 below that and XBMC becomes more of an option above that and MP is a no brainer.

It is great to have the coice from these two excellent progs.

Vimes

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 19, 2009
    Earth, for now
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Anyone know how to set up XBMC to use an MS MCE remote properly? It's a joke in the default setup. Also, how do I get XBMC to import TV-Series?

Emph

I use a MCE remote (and it is a true MCE remote and not just an imitation keyboard type remote) and it sees to work a treat with the Frodo (as it did with Eden) release of XBMC.

But to get that level of functionality I installed this...

the auto installer is here....

http://xbmccustomregis.sourceforge.net/remote_auto.html

Hi!
    When comparing this keyboard.xml file to the one who is default in xbmc I cant see any difference at all!?
    Maybe something has changed during the latest betas??

Any idea?
    /tompa

I have not done a direct comparison so I'm not sure. But are you having an issue...?

I have just done a fresh install of the RC 1 Frodo on a clean Windows 8 x64 build and prior to me installing the following....

...the Green Button on my MCE remote did nothings. After the install of that and this....

http://www.autohotkey.com/

the Green Button works fine, as does the other functions that I seem to use on the remote.

Installing and configuring the Frodo RC 1 release is a breeze with excellent functionality for an "out of the box" experience. No codecs. per se, to bother about and it all worked a treat. I just installed a WOL add-on to wake up my server and keep it awake when XBMC is streaming content and then installed the Transparency skin.

I am hoping that one single PVR option will one day be opted as the default, and thus more effort could then be focussed on supporting that. As yet it is a little hit and iss to get a working TV functionality built into XBMC. But that aspect is not at the top of my list and I do have the DVB Viewer tha tI have paid for if and when I need to access the DVB -S2 TV.

I did have a little play around with the 1.3 beta Titan release and very nice it is to :)
    If the TV series and Moving Pictures was built into MP that would be as useful as the LAV filters being installed and configured by default. The new skin looks really good and I was quite impressed.!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom