XBox Media Center Support for tv Scheduling (1 Viewer)

A

Anonymous

It would be nice in the xbox media center that you could schedule programs for recording. Also delete programs when finished viewing.

A

Anonymous

I agree that this would be a killer feature. With microsoft releasing their own xbox media center in October, XBMC and MP could use an extra boost to stay ahead of Windows Media Center Edition. If you could run MP on a computer and use XBOX (as a front end) to schedule recordings, it woudl be killer. The files then could be played off of the server to the xbox over smb as is usually done already in XBMC. This way the server running MP could be in a closet some place or in another room and any tv with an xbox could schedule recordings. This makes it easier to watch tv and record tv because then you don't have to be at your computer. It won't need to play live tv or timeshift because, well, that's why you have a tv. I was thinking about putting up a rewards program tied to a paypal account to convince a XBMC developer to do this because I feel that it is an essential part to the future of MP and XBMC. Perhaps a reward would even bring Frodo back to the xbox scene if only for a short while. Ever since he ported MP, in my opinion, it seems like no big gains have been maid on the XBMC front. So Frodo, what do you think about it?

A

Anonymous

dirkoneill said:
I agree that this would be a killer feature. With microsoft releasing their own xbox media center in October, XBMC and MP could use an extra boost to stay ahead of Windows Media Center Edition. If you could run MP on a computer and use XBOX (as a front end) to schedule recordings, it woudl be killer. The files then could be played off of the server to the xbox over smb as is usually done already in XBMC. This way the server running MP could be in a closet some place or in another room and any tv with an xbox could schedule recordings. This makes it easier to watch tv and record tv because then you don't have to be at your computer. It won't need to play live tv or timeshift because, well, that's why you have a tv. I was thinking about putting up a rewards program tied to a paypal account to convince a XBMC developer to do this because I feel that it is an essential part to the future of MP and XBMC. Perhaps a reward would even bring Frodo back to the xbox scene if only for a short while. Ever since he ported MP, in my opinion, it seems like no big gains have been maid on the XBMC front. So Frodo, what do you think about it?

XBOX is the past, htpc the future ;)

MrMario64

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    xbox will be forgotten when xbox 2 etc is out........
    PC is a better format to build and extend on.

That said, it will be a waste to develop something that will be gone in a year or 2.

Ofcourse the xbmc people can implement this, no problem with that.
    So perhaps ask them on their forum ?

(this does not reflect anything regarding quality of XBMC!, XBMC is a really cool app and I enjoyed it thoroughly!!!!)

A

Anonymous

The ability for the XBox to control the MediaPortal is the killer feature for me. Otherwise I will stick to MythTV, which is NOT what I want to do!!!

I dont want a PC in the loungeroom, I am VERY happy with XBMC, and the only thing it lacks it TV viewing capabilities - which I have, but its not neat - in MythTV.

The XBox 2 may be coming out, but I have everything I want in the current one, bar the TV functionality from within XBMC.

Id like to chime in saying again, that this is my primary reason for following MediaPortal.

A

Anonymous

No the xbox is not dead and yes there will be xbox2 next year but that is next year. it is very hard to shove a pc, with tv recording capabilities and have it display on your tv, into your entertainment center. The goal here is to give xbox tivo capabilities using Media Portal and not a hardware modification. I posted it here because I imagine there will need to be some code additions made in media portal in order to set up the scheduling.

gt would you be willing to donate money in the form of a bounty for the developer or team of developers that implements this patch? That was really the reson for my post. 1, to see if other people are interested in this. 2, to see if I or someone else created a bounty page where the goals are described and money can be donated to an unverified paypal account. Like this site if you are unfamiliar with the concept http://www.nuclearelephant.com/papers/v710hackers.html

A

Anonymous

There is talk in the IRC channel about starting a topic specifically to get support drummed up for this feature.

WOuld you like to start a new thread on it dirkoniel?

I will if you havent after a short time, though it sounds like your more aware of the process described on that website url.

A

Anonymous

Sorry for the delayed respone, I have been working a crazy week. I think maybe this weekend I might try to put together a bounty page. What I would need though is a place to host the single page since I am no longer running my own webserver. Anyone up for this?

SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    the Xbox2 will need a G4 to compile...so all the xbmc coders now will need to buy MAC's......which prolly wont happen

there will prolly be a community for xbox2 modding/hacking/howebrew apps...and i do hope XBMC is continued on the Xbox2(assuming it can be hacked)...as M$ will prolly not go in the TIVO direction.....but it will be a smaller community(or a newer community anyway) which is no good for continuing XBMC...

i wouldnt hold my breath waiting for more options on the Xbox 2 for TV recording, playback, etc etc ....

A media player is better on a PC anywayz...as there are infinitely more things possible on a PC...we just need coders to impliment them :)

A

Anonymous

I wouldn't hold my breath for many if any xbox2 homebrew projects. In fact if has less to do with the fact that it uses a chip that is in a Mac then it does the actual hardware architecture. In fact it will not use a G4 it will use up to 3 G5 style chips. Those chips (if it is 3) combined will be more powerful then 90% consumer desktop computer sold today.

Hacking the Xbox was mostly possible because it is a game system built with computer hardware. Xbox next will be built with specialized hardware, as are most game systems. I believe that the hacking of the original Xbox is probably the reason it became as popular as it did. Think about it, basically the same games as ps2 give or take halo on Xbox and GTA at release on ps2. Hacking will be harder because less people will have specific knowledge of the hardware, not because it uses a mac style chip. Those sa,e chips will soon be in routers and switches as well as have previous power pc chips.

You are correct, there are infinitely more things to do a PC. NO! Macs are the same as are all computers. You program they perform. Windows just tend to reach a larger population. Look at viruses. How many viruses have there been in just the last 2 months? There has been one for the Mac in four years. Why? Because it isn’t worth the time to affect 3% of the population. As Linux grows up and reaches the desktop computer as a viable option for the everyday user, the number of viruses will grow proportionally to the number of users. A computer is a computer; you can do the same thing on any one of them. Look at the Xbox. It was designed as a video game system and has turned into a computer for some. It reached a smaller audience. But you must be right because the Xbox is not a pc so it doesn’t have infinite possibilities. Wrong again. Look at the community that surrounds the game system outside of gamming. The software you are using to now play and record movies was originally built for the Xbox, not the pc. Cost and time decide what options are available. Recording could be built for the xbox but no one wants to spend the time to implent it or spend the money to develop a hardware solution that a handful of people could actually have the skill to install.

Anyway, I imagine that the xbox will mirror a dreamcast like post death. It will become more vailuble once they are not available in stores. People will use them not soely to play games but as an inexpensive answer to the home entertainment center.

Ignorance is Weakness

Users who are viewing this thread