xmltv - new line (1 Viewer)

steo

Portal Member
October 31, 2014
Home Country
Germany Germany
@Vasilich: For title and episode I agree not to allow new line. But for description its definitely helpful. Without new lines it´s not really readable. For example I also add some additional information like actors, year, country and so on to the description (I know xmltv has extra fields for actor,year,country and so on but mediaportal doesn´t seem to use this information so I am adding this to the description). If I then have no new lines it´s not really good to read.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Without new lines it´s not really readable. For example I also add some additional information like actors, year, country and so on to the description (I know xmltv has extra fields for actor,year,country and so on but mediaportal doesn´t seem to use this information so I am adding this to the description). If I then have no new lines it´s not really good to read.
    I would not support inclusion of new-lines based on this justification. Actors etc. should be in separate fields where they can be formatted/displayed more appropriately by the skin.

steo

Portal Member
    October 31, 2014
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    as I already said I know that there are extra fields for actors in xmltv. But the the currently used default skin doesn´t show them. So I have added them into the description. As I have learned now, the information displayed from xmltv is also depending on the skin. Maybe I should change to another skin. Which skin will use/show the additional information like year,country,rating,star-rating,actor,director,icon,review,sub-title and so on?

Another reason I added all additional information to the description is that I am also using Kodi as Frontend (has a Mediaportal plugin) on some devices (there I cant use mediaportal because MAC book). Kodi seems to only handle title,sub-title and description.

But anyway, also If I will only use the description for the description. If the text is really long it´s not good to read without blank lines. But I think this discussion is more a discussion of the users personal taste as a technical discussion. So maybe it´s possible to add some checkbox like "allow line breaks" to the xmltv-plugin-configuration-screen and then the user can decide to use it or not?

Last edited:

pünktchen

Portal Pro
    October 26, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I would not support inclusion of new-lines based on this justification. Actors etc. should be in separate fields where they can be formatted/displayed more appropriately by the skin.
    I agree with you. Hopefully actors, year, country and so on can be imported in TVE3.5. Right now it's not possible.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Perhaps I have misunderstood text mark-up languages (GML, SGML, HTML, XML), but I was under the impression that successive lines of text in the input file are concatenated together, with the CRLF at the end of each line being replaced by a single blank. The philosophy behind text-mark-up languages is to disconnect the physical layout of the text in the file from the eventual appearance of the text on the screen (or printed page).

The correct solution has already been mentioned by @Vasilich -- the original poster should use the BR tag to indicate where he wants new lines to occur in the output, and the SP tag to generate blank lines in the output.

I will mention that I considered raising a bug with regard to the XML file that MP creates when making a TV recording, because line breaks in that file result in line breaks on screen. This caused a problem when I converted my DVR-MS files to TS. I wrote a REXX script to generate the XML files from the metadata contained within the DVR-MS files. I wanted to avoid long lines (longer than 79 characters), but I was forced to create long lines because MP treats the CRLF at the end of each line as a BR tag. Surely this is in contravention of GML/HTML/XML coding standards? (I chose not to raise the bug, as there are more important things for MP developers to do with their time.)

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Vasilich

Portal Pro
    August 30, 2009
    Germany, Mayence
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    XML does not forbid to have linebreaks in text, and this fact is widely used. IMHO that part having problems with it, should strip linebreaks, but not generally "we will remove all linebreaks because (maybe) one part can have problems with it". Linebreaks carry information, dividing text parts one from another.
    XML file that MP creates when making a TV recording, because line breaks in that file result in line breaks on screen
    And this is expected behavior. I WANT to see these linebreaks.
    This caused a problem when I converted my DVR-MS files to TS
    Here is the problem, not in linebreaks existence itself. So this part should be fixed if it has problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom