Your chosen Codec & Postprocessors? (1 Viewer)

cul8er

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 31, 2006
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Using ffdshow also as postprocessor to sharpen and upscale the picture

How do you do this? What are the settings in MP and what should I do in ffdshow to get this working?

revs

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 1, 2007
    The Sauce of Worcester
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    You need to set MP to use the ffdshow raw processor and then in the ffdshow configuration (from the start menu) you can choose the options you want on.

It is very CPU intensive though!

dinky

Portal Member
    February 7, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I use dscaler at the moment. I got an nvidia 6100 agp card to use the hardware acceleration properties with purevideo. Unfortunately if I enable hardware acceleration it works (looking great) for about 10 minutes and then blue screens with a nv4.dll failure. I am trying to narrow this problem down, I don't think it is MP related at present. If I deactivate the hardware acceleration it doesn't crash.

I suspect this is something to do with the 6100 being a drop in replacement for an overheating 6800 without doing a clean reinstall of either the drivers or purevideo. It will probably be fixed with a clean reinstall of the OS, but I am putting that off for the same reasons I'm putting off getting a tattoo; I don't really want to, it'll take a long time, it'll be painful, I'll swear and my wife will shout at me.

dscaler seems (subjectively) to have better picture quality than mpv, so I am sticking with it for the time being. FFDShow post processing looks very interesting though.

/off to read more.

FlipGer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 27, 2004
    Leipzig, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

I am using, more or less the settings of the guide revs mentioned:
    http://www.htpcnews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=132&Itemid=29

- Blur & NR
    * denoise 3D 0.5 0.5 5.0

- Sharpen
    * msharpen high quality 15 15

- Resize & Aspect
    * Resize if resolution < 1280 x 1024 (my TFT resolution)
    * Rezise to 1920 x 1536 (TFT x 1.5, recommended is x 2, but this consumes to much CPU ;))
    * Lanczos 4.0 4.0 1.5 1.5

CPU: Core2Duo 6300
    Usage without ffdshow postprocessing:
    Video 5%
    TV 15%
    With ffdshow postprocessing:
    Video 43%
    TV 75%

Unfortunatly I cannot get it to work with DVD currently. The ffdshow raw filter does not connect to the DVD graph. Perhaps someone has a hint?

Flip

FlipGer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 27, 2004
    Leipzig, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

yes. As mentioned above, it is even recommended to use the double resolution. Would be in my case 2560 x 2048. But that is to much for my CPU. :D

The reason is based on the Nyquist-Shannon sampling theorem. Simply spoken the picture gets more natural due to the downsizing after resizing.

And it works! In my eyes the picture looks quite better resizing it above TFT resolution. (Could be my imagination though ;)).

Flip.

revs

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 1, 2007
    The Sauce of Worcester
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    hmm i can hardly cope with resizing to 1920xbla (bla being whatever res happens to keep the aspect ratio). i couldnt do double my res - that would be ummm 3840*2400!

back from work - so time to mess about some more!

are you guys testing with a dvd or tv?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom