Your chosen Codec & Postprocessors? (1 Viewer)

FlipGer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 27, 2004
    Leipzig, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

yeah, well I think doubling 1920 could be a bit to much. ;)

I am testing with TV (PAL), AVI-Video and DVD.

Above I said I have difficulties with ffdshow getting to work with DVD, well this was because of the MPV I used. Currently I am testing PureVideo and ffdshow connects without problems.

This really gives me a great picture. I often sit in front of my TFT and think by my self: Wow, what a sharp picture! :)

I am testing PureVideo only a short time now. But I must confess that the picture is more colorfull and somewhat sharper / clearer than using MPV. Main big point: I have no problems playing DVDs anymore. Previously I had sometimes a black picture and problems navigating the DVD menus.

Flip.

Beesoc

Portal Member
    January 31, 2007
    Dallas
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    HUGE performance increase on multicore processors

Hello everyone,

I have been messing with ffdshow for a few weeks now trying to get the best results and they were always rubbish. I would resize just to 960*544 and my core2duo would hit 90% utilization.

Then I found this thing:
    http://ffdshow-tryout.sourceforge.net/

If you have a multicore processor you HAVE to try this out. I can now oversample the video and audio a LOT and my processor utilization stays amazingly low.

With the latest beta ffdshow and the exact same settings I was consistently at least 75% utilization. With FFDShow Tryouts the same settings my processor utilization is at 23%!!!

Gotta go turn on more filters now that I have some free resources again. :D

Beesoc

revs

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 1, 2007
    The Sauce of Worcester
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    Just to update the thread.. after lots and lots of testing I decided to go with just using PureVideo.

Using ffdshow didnt seem to make much difference - well not enough to justify the CPU useage on my machine!

gxtracker

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2005
    Home Country
    Canada Canada

Thank you Beesoc, I was waiting for someone to mention FFDshow Tryouts!

For those of you using the regular FFDshow: FFDshow is dead software. it hasen't been updated in several years, and is still quite buggy and slow.

FFDshow tryout is a new project that took the source of FFDshow and built up from it. It supports many more options and codecs (even MPEG decompression) and is much more optimized for faster CPU's and multicore platforms.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    FFDshow tryout is a new project that took the source of FFDshow and built up from it. It supports many more options and codecs

That should be the one, all the links now point to.

As the sight says, many improvements and over 50 bugs fixed.

gxtracker

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2005
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Post Processing is when the video signal is processed in some way after the video stream has been decoded but before it's displayed.

De-interlacing is the best example of this: after an interlaced MPEG file is decoded, instead of it being directly displayed onto the screen, you can run a de-interlacing filter to turn that interlaced image into a smooth progressive image.

There are other filters that do things like sharpen the picture, modify brightness and contrast, remove noise, etc...

Klept

Portal Pro
    January 9, 2007
    Utah
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Post Processing is when the video signal is processed in some way after the video stream has been decoded but before it's displayed.

De-interlacing is the best example of this: after an interlaced MPEG file is decoded, instead of it being directly displayed onto the screen, you can run a de-interlacing filter to turn that interlaced image into a smooth progressive image.

There are other filters that do things like sharpen the picture, modify brightness and contrast, remove noise, etc...

Great explanation. Thanks!

It does bring up another question that I forgot I wanted to ask. About DeInterlacing. Maby I'll post it in the general help forum.

philljp

Portal Member
    December 22, 2006
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi,

Above I said I have difficulties with ffdshow getting to work with DVD, well this was because of the MPV I used. Currently I am testing PureVideo and ffdshow connects without problems.

Im trying to get this to work with DVD's in MediaPortal too. How did you get yours to work. Ive checked all the other suggestions in this thread, and ive ticked the OSD so i can see if ffdshow is being used. However, nothing appears, the DVD just plays as normal.

FlipGer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 27, 2004
    Leipzig, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

choose nVidias PureVideo as video decoder in the DVD settings of MP. Activate "ffdshow raw video filter" as postprocessor. Do not forget do edit the settings of this filter to set "all supported formats" in the codec section.

HTH,
    Flip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom