Zap2It Stopping Service (1 Viewer)

jburnette

Portal Pro
August 24, 2006
Kentucky
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I'm not sure if anyone noticed this yet or not but it appears that zap2it will no longer be available to those of us who use it.

From their website:

For several years we have offered a free TV listings service to hobbyists for their own personal, noncommercial use. In October of 2004 we posted here an open letter saying the future of Zap2it Labs was at risk because of certain growing misuses of the Zap2it Labs data. Unfortunately this misuse has continued and grown. These misuses, combined with other business factors have led to the decision to discontinue Zap2it Labs effective September 1, 2007.

lumpy

Portal Member
January 25, 2007
So anyone have an alternative source for US guide data? is the XMLTV guys already working on scraping websites again?

djshawnee

Portal Member
May 11, 2005
damn... that sucks.

actually, my zap2it stopped working when i switched to 0.2.3.0 RC1. it was working fine with 0.2.2.1. has anyone else had this problem? as of right now, when the plugin is enabled, mediaportal just freezes, and have to force a quit. has anyone else had this problem? is there a new version of the zap2it plugin that i am not aware of?

yes, and what is the alternative to zap2it now for the US?

patrick

Portal Pro
April 20, 2005
Southeast
Home Country
damn... that sucks.

actually, my zap2it stopped working when i switched to 0.2.3.0 RC1. it was working fine with 0.2.2.1. has anyone else had this problem? as of right now, when the plugin is enabled, mediaportal just freezes, and have to force a quit. has anyone else had this problem? is there a new version of the zap2it plugin that i am not aware of?

MP stand alone or with the TVServer?

patrick

tonyscha

Portal Pro
May 2, 2007
Iowa
Home Country
This sucks, Now I Wonder if someone else will be offering a similar service? Will mediaportal be effected?

ZetaVu

Portal Pro
December 9, 2005
Several threads are covering this, looks like it will die off, I am wondering if they consider products like mythtv and media portal as commercial products? I wonder if there is a way for the myth and MP admins to contact zap2it and set up a joint linking arrangement, let individual users have access for cross-credit or restricted by program or something? Otherwise, the various free (and paid) htpc groups should set up a shared source for US/Canada and run it off donations. If all the groups link to it through a common portal, requiring ads when needed for donations (I'm thinking public television, or sending through ads from sponsors) then they should be able to support themselves without too much issues.

shred444

Portal Pro
May 13, 2006
damn... that sucks.

yes, and what is the alternative to zap2it now for the US?

I am having the exact same problem. Any luck getting it to work?

Topher5000

Portal Pro
April 5, 2006
I haven't had freezing, but I don't get any guide data with 0.2.3.0 & TV2. If I start MP Setup & try to config the Zap2it plugin, I get an Unhandled Exception error.
I have to re-install SQL Server & TV3, so I don't know about that.
Maybe this should be discussed in a seperate thread in a support forum?

vort

Portal Member
June 14, 2007
Home Country
Over on the GB PVR forums, some users have created some alternative programs to get EPG data from Yahoo. It looks like the programs obtain the data, parse it into an XMLTV file. If MP can read this file, this could successfully replace Zap2it when it goes down?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom