Zotac AD10 - in case anyone is interested (1 Viewer)

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    One of the biggest flaws with wireless is codecs, if you have one that is trying to access to far into the future of the HD file, then playback goes out the window and ends up choppy or worse crashing.

Cyberlink is most probably the best at this, not sure about CoreAVC, which claimed to be the fastest decoder in existance at one stage.

loadme

Portal Pro
    January 7, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Re: Zotac AD10 - in case anyone is interested

Hi there,

The size of the file is not the issue, there are normally two main things that cripple playback:

Bandwidth of the video and audio streams - such that there is either too much data for the LAN to consistently supply or for the client to process
    Video processing (Interlacing/upscaling/etc) - you are asking the client to do too much processing (hopefully it is all done by the GPU which should cope)

J.

ps - Will be intersting to see how good the WLAN is ;)

hey back,

by file size I was refering to a higher bandwith that will be needed in order to press everything through within 90 minutes.
    And I dont know if we are on the same page @streaming: by streaming I understand preprocessing to compress all files before sending them, done by the server. I meant just direct network access on a regular file drive.

Thanks for all the answers and clearing up about the GPU power of the 350

wycklk

November 23, 2011
    Hi all,

I understood the video encoding/transcoding capability is limited for E-350 chipset based on the benchmark review, may I know if I run Skype with HD camera, can AD10 handle it?

I am real keen on this box, but worry about the slowness of navigating windows 7 UI and doing Skype video call.

:D

foxbenw

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 12, 2011
    Welwyn Garden City
    Home Country
    Hi
    A quick update.

I didn't get the included remote working straight away and I haven't tried anything else as I don't particularly like it. Out of the box the only buttons that worked were power off, arrow keys and back (although that was the 'clear' button not back.

SAF6 (unlocked) plus cyberlink for all video and lav for all audio has got hd files playing well. I have only tried local remuxed mkvs from blurays. Using ffdshow truehd audio had a big audio/video delay. Processor runs at c30%.

I have turned off the dynamic refresh rate as it didn't seem to be doing anything after getting the codecs right. I have also turned off the processing on my bravia tv.

I have installed Avalon and menus are all smooth.

The limited testing i have done using wifi produced quite bad results. The box is under a chest of drawers in my bedroom. HD tv was stuttering, so bluray was a definite no go. I guess this will differe depending on everyone else's wifi setup. I'll have another test at some point but I am not going to be using wifi permanently anyway.
    (Although, I have come across a problem with my homeplugs. bluray over the network is stuttering. local files were fine. I don't know if different codecs would help at all but the cyberlink video codec was the only one that worked. I think I need to work on the network speed rather than the codecs now though)

As for skype - sorry, I have no idea. But the box plays bluray just fine using dxva. I don't know how skype video is handled.

Ben

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Bolton, Lancashire, England
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi Ben,

When I was setting up my Zotac clients, also using AV200 Homeplugs I was having problems and didn't know if it was the network speed or just video codecs. I downloaded this Bandwidth Monitor >>here<< just to check if my Homeplugs bandwidth was being overloaded. I found that a full HD (1920 x 1080) recording was using about 36Mbps, and was thus a third of the available network bandwidth. You would have to run MP in window mode (Alt & Enter) to see the bandwidth monitor though.

HTH,

M.

loadme

Portal Pro
    January 7, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Zotac AD10 - in case anyone is interested

Hey again,

2 more questions regarding the newer zotac boxes:

1. am i right here and does the Zotac AD10 only has analog audio out?
    did you guys work around with some usb-audiocard? or where did you get your digital audio from?
    i really dont want to pull it through the hdmi cable, as it should go directly in my stereo
    - maybe you can unplug the wifi to get a mini pci-e slot? and put an audio card in there?

2. does the motherboard of the Zotac AD10 supports usb booting from s3?
    to get it back on its feed with your remote?

thanks once again!

foxbenw

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 12, 2011
    Welwyn Garden City
    Home Country
    Hi
    1 yes. I only use the hdmi.
    2 yes it does. It has an internal ir on the front too but I have that turned off as you have to be directly in front of it for it to work.
    I have got USB ir working for power off and on for both the supplied remote and another one that I bought. You have to choose the usb2 port you want to use it with and disable the power out from that port in the bios for wake from s3 to work.
    Ben

loadme

Portal Pro
    January 7, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

thanks for the reply regarding the usb power off/on. glad it works.

has anyone every tried an external sound card with the zotac boards for digital out?
    thats is the only thing left, that bugs me a bit.

loadme

Portal Pro
    January 7, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

sorry that i have to bring this up one more time.
    i really dont wanne go into macGyver-mode when it comes to minimalistic and powerful hightech in my living room

1. is there any more tiny and yet solid solution to get digital sound out here? the only HDMI splitters with S/PDIF that i found, were all hdmi hubs and startet at 30-40 € (but i dont need any hdmi signal splitter. only an audio split)
    2. has anyone tried an external USB soundcard ever? still - i dont like them. you are getting back to the mac gyver style, using such things
    3. is there already a similar small, low volt, well-priced but yet powerful system like the zotac ad10 out there, that has its S/PDIF or optical already included?

thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom