Hauppauge HD-PVR & Colossus Support (1 Viewer)

AncientYoof

Portal Member
November 25, 2013
Home Country
Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
thanks for the quick response, im not bothered about the blaster set up as I can set my STB to change channel when the programme starts and the HDPVR will record it, I need the EPG for timing and programme naming purposes only so its just the EPG that I need
I will have a go at the text editing and creating copies of the component channel

thanks again

saitoh183

Portal Pro
May 6, 2011
Home Country
Canada Canada
Hi everyone with a HDPVR

as I said a while back I would really like to be able to populate my MP EPG with UK TV data but obviously I cannot scan for channels on my HDPR which is just a capture device

I have downloaded various xml fiels with the tv settings in them but cannot import them into media portal

the best I have done is to assign one channel to the Component input and got one! line in the EPG for that channel

can anyone give a me a simple pointer on how to set up a full UK EPG for all channels that will respond to the HDPVR for recording purposes

thanks

Have you tried the xmltv plugin (see my screenshot above) and retrieving your list with http://wiki.xmltv.org/index.php/Main_Page? Before using MP schedule direct plugin, i was using SD via xmltv to retrieve my EPG info and pipe into nextpvr. Im sure you can do the same for UK if you find the right source to configure into xmltv.

AncientYoof

Portal Member
November 25, 2013
Home Country
Have you tried the xmltv plugin (see my screenshot above) and retrieving your list with http://wiki.xmltv.org/index.php/Main_Page? Before using MP schedule direct plugin, i was using SD via xmltv to retrieve my EPG info and pipe into nextpvr. Im sure you can do the same for UK if you find the right source to configure into xmltv.

Thanks, yes I have tried using the XMLTV plugin, I can get web epg or XMLTV GUI to download the relevant listings what I cant do/work out is how to get those listings into MP for all the channels under the one input for the component in the HDPVR.

I was able to link one channel to the HDPVR but thats where I am stuck, I think it is due to mapping channels but that's where im a bit out of my depth

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks, yes I have tried using the XMLTV plugin, I can get web epg or XMLTV GUI to download the relevant listings what I cant do/work out is how to get those listings into MP for all the channels under the one input for the component in the HDPVR.
    As above: it isn't possible without creating the channels.
    What saitoh183 perhaps doesn't realise is that the SchedulesDirect plugin that he/she is using automatically created channels... which is the step that you have to perform. I have not recommended SchedulesDirect for you because I don't think it is able to get EPG listings for you (SD is targeted at the US and Canada), ergo it won't be able to create channels for you, ergo it is of no use to you.

I was able to link one channel to the HDPVR but thats where I am stuck, I think it is due to mapping channels but that's where im a bit out of my depth
    It is not possible to map/link EPG to channels when the channels you want to link the EPG to don't exist. Unlike the SchedulesDirect plugin, the XMLTV plugin is not able to create channels in MediaPortal from the list of guide channels.

So with respect to saitoh183, don't let the advice confuse you.

AncientYoof

Portal Member
    November 25, 2013
    Home Country
    So basically I'm scuppered?[DOUBLEPOST=1395926419][/DOUBLEPOST]Here's a quick thought, if I installed a tv tuner and set it up in MP to use the EPG could I then set it up to link to the hdpvr and remove the tv tuner?

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    So basically I'm scuppered?
    No, not at all. :)
    The things I've said about creating your channels manually or with the import/export function still apply.
    You just can't use SchedulesDirect. That's all I was saying.

Here's a quick thought, if I installed a tv tuner and set it up in MP to use the EPG could I then set it up to link to the hdpvr and remove the tv tuner?
    Yes and no. That would get you the EPG... but it wouldn't allow the HD-PVR to tune those channels. You'd have to add analog tuning details for each of the channels so that TV Server could "tune" with the HD-PVR.

AncientYoof

Portal Member
    November 25, 2013
    Home Country
    Getting slightly somewhere but it's so convoluted, for a quick check I tried to do the same in next pvr one simple prog later I have a fully populated guide in next pvr

why is MP so complicated?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Comparing N-PVR and MediaPortal on this aspect is like comparing apples and oranges. N-PVR intentionally added support for this kind of set up; MediaPortal on the other hand was never designed to do this. It should not surprise you that it is difficult to do something with software that was not designed to do it. ;)

AncientYoof

Portal Member
    November 25, 2013
    Home Country
    Tbh that's a bit of a cop out , if done quickly in schedule direct and a lesser programme why not in MP
    Comparing N-PVR and MediaPortal on this aspect is like comparing apples and oranges. N-PVR intentionally added support for this kind of set up; MediaPortal on the other hand was never designed to do this. It should not surprise you that it is difficult to do something with software that was not designed to do it. ;)
    Well i finally sorted it out, not exactly straight forward but i found a good guide on some obscure forum

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom