IR Server Suite - Version 1.4.2 Test Build 3158/3281 (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

binary64

Portal Pro
July 30, 2006
I just installed, loaded Translator, click New, press green button, it detected it! Then in Misc tab i selected Beep. But when I click ok i get: "You must set a valid button mapping to press OK". Very confusing message, any chance you can make it a bit more easy to understand how to resolve the problem?

I also got a crash:

---------------------------
Test failed
---------------------------
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

at Translator.Program.ProcCommand(Object commandObj) in C:\MediaPortal Development\Plugins\IR Server Suite\Applications\Translator\Program.cs:line 1186

at Translator.Program.ProcessCommand(String command, Boolean async) in C:\MediaPortal Development\Plugins\IR Server Suite\Applications\Translator\Program.cs:line 1010

at Translator.ButtonMappingForm.buttonTest_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in C:\MediaPortal Development\Plugins\IR Server Suite\Applications\Translator\Forms\ButtonMappingForm.cs:line 516

great work though! thanks

and-81

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 7, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    binary64:

It sounds like you haven't pressed the SET button on the button mapping screen. You've selected the command you want to perform (Beep) but you haven't set it to the button.

Once you click set you will see the command show up in the box across the bottom of that window. If the command requires additional user input (Pause, for example, requires a time to pause) then you will be prompted for that when you press Set.

As for the crash, that seems consistent with what I said above, but I should catch that situation and prevent it from causing an error... I'll make some changes to the code and include it in the next version... I'll even add a popup message over the Set button when the command hasn't been set or maybe just make the message you were seeing more descriptive.

Making software like this is an exercise in user interface design more than anything else. I've tried to keep it intuitive but what is intuitive for one person is not for another. I have to always remind myself that I'm a software developer and the way I think about software is not necessarily the same as the next person.

Also, I know how to use it because I made it ... So I'm not the best person to test it's usability.

For a one man effort in software development I think the IR Server Suite is coming along fairly well (if I do say so myself) ... I haven't had as much time to work on it in the last month as I'd hoped I would, but with a bit of luck I will get the next version out shortly and after that I'll be making some big improvements that should make the future of the project a little more stable.

Cheers,

graemef

Portal Pro
    November 28, 2004
    Perth
    Home Country
    Hi there,
    I also have the problem of the STB not changing channels within MP. It works fine (after applying SP1) from within the configuration app, but if I select a channel in MP then there are no flashing lights....
    I also have two video cards (digital and analog). I can't try the not mapping channels to cards test because I cannot work out how to get MP to select a channel that is not mapped to a card.
    This is the last thing I have to do for my HTPC rebuild after HD crash.. Help....

binary64

Portal Pro
    July 30, 2006
    Thanks for your response.

I have a separate question: What's the SVN url for the code, if any? I tried creating a HID input plugin for another app but I couldn't figure out how to detect if a button was held down.

Speaking of which, I notice you have auto-repeat settings for your MCE plugin. Can I suggest you have a checkbox that when checked, reads the auto-repeat keyboard settings from the windows registry and use those. The default windows settings most people are very used to, but your default settings seems very slow.

It then dawned on me that configuring your application is a mammoth process. Could we share a global English configuration file between us all? Like a library of them. One for each application, and/or one for each type of remote.. or something like that.

and-81

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 7, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    graemef:

As soon as I get some spare time to do some testing I will get to the bottom of the problems with STB blasting.

I will hold off releasing 1.0.4.2 until it's fixed.

binary64:

I haven't been able to get the HID input plugin for IR Server Suite working yet. I've been too busy with other things. I'll let you know when I've got something that might be able to help you.

The idea about using the windows keyboard repeat settings is very good, I'll try to implement that very soon. I like it.

Also, I've been meaning to put together some default configurations for a while now. I'll try to include some in the next version. I'll probably start off with default configurations for Media Player Classic, ZoomPlayer, Windows Media Player, WinAmp and maybe even Google Earth. People could then use them as a basis for creating defaults for other programs and then email them back to me for inclusion in the next release.

Thanks for your feedback, it's much appreciated.

Cheers,

binary64

Portal Pro
    July 30, 2006
    Awesome! I have another idea, related to default configurations... how about have 2 groups of .xml configuration... both the same file format.. the 2 groups could exist in 2 separate folders. Anyway, one group would contain definitions for keys and the other would contain definitions for applications. By example is better: Say I have MCE remote and MediaPortal... i could Import keys\MCERemote.xml and then apps\MediaPortal.xml. After which, the two would mostly overlay and create a complete workable item. Otherwise, we'd have a lot of combinations such as MCEremote-with-MediaPortal.xml and it might hinder completedness. Once we've imported MCERemote.xml, user could highlight multiple app configs such as app\GoogleEarth.xml, app\Calc.xml and app\Meedio.xml - to get an instant configuration done in seconds.

Anyway, I'm *very* eager for a Google Earth support! I tried hacking Earth before with SendKeys() method for remote input, but it didn't work. They are doing something funky to get the keyboard input in the application i suspect.

Another idea.. is to consume other input systems plugins.. such as these MeediOS | Bringing Media to Life .. have a look, if any of them are wanted (i haven't cross-checked if any Meedio ones aren't in IRSS), i could help you access their API so IRSS can consume Meedio input plugins... but this idea extends to HIP/EventGhost/Girder plugins perhaps too.

graemef

Portal Pro
    November 28, 2004
    Perth
    Home Country
    Thanks and-81, do you know if there is any other way of controlling the STB in the meantime so I don't have to use the foxtel remote to change channels and the EPG will work again ?

StaticMan

Portal Pro
    May 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Crash with VMC

Aaron,

On one of my machines I'm using IR Server Suite in a different way. I have Vista Media Center and I use IR Server Suite strictly to handle the exit button (Closing VMC is painful).
    So I install Input Service and Tray Launcher, uncheck Input Service from disabling the ehome stuff, then teach the tray button to run a kill VMC command. When it works, it works great.
    After maybe a day it crashes. I've attached the log.

TheBatfink

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 11, 2007
    Nottingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi, I have just downloaded this software and installed. However I can't get anything to recognise my remote key presses. I'm assuming its because I have incorrectly configured the Input Service however I'm struggling with what I'm supposed to set.

My remote currently works in MP - I have a cyberlink remote control and reciever (USB) using windows XP. It just works in MP but I cant get anything in the IR server suite to see anything.

I have loads of buttons not currently used by MP which I'm hoping to get mapped using this software.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

and-81

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 7, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    graemef:

In the meantime, try using one of the older TV Blaster plugins that are around. You should be able to find one of my standalone TV2 or TV3 MCE or USB-UIRT blaster plugins either here in the forums or in the download area. They can be used to call EXE programs when a channel change is needed, with that you could then call either the IRBlast utility of IR Server Suite or maybe the MceIrPlay program that came with the replacement driver.

StaticMan:

I'll try to rig my computer to do a long term test and see if I can isolate the problem... Looking at the log it looks like the access to the device was deliberately terminated (doesn't look like a mistake) ... So I wonder if maybe one of the VMC components jumped in and terminated the access (by trying to access it itself) or if something terminated the process...

Do you have a log file for the Input Service and one for the Tray Launcher I could take a look at (from the same time)?

TheBatfink:
    What remote control support in MediaPortal do you activate?

It sounds like I don't have support for your remote in the IR Server Suite yet. If it works in MediaPortal but not in IR Server Suite then it shouldn't be hard to add support for it.

Cheers,

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom