1.16pre: Mini-EPG displays start-time in front of programs (1 Viewer)

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    After upgrading to 1.16pre on both server and client the mini-EPG is suddenly displaying the start-time in fron of the program titles.

MiniGuide.JPG

Personally I think this is a case of TMI as it is taking attention away. Can I switch this off?

Holzi

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 21, 2010
    Ba-Wü
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The corresponding thread showed mixed feelings...

I expect quite a lot of similar responses from the community. This would better be an optional element rather than a forced one. The skin that I use is not maintained, hence no cure in sight.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    In German language file these entries are empty because 99,9% of the users don´t want to see this ;)
    Seriously?
    Whatever happened to consistency? :(
    To me it makes absolutely no sense for things to be one way for one language and another way for other languages. IMHO language files should only be used for translation. If people don't want certain text then we could consider removing it... for all languages... or for none.

catavolt

Design Group Manager
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 13, 2007
    Königstein (Taunus)
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Seriously?
    Yes ;) My statement above should have been "In German language file these entries are empty because 99,9% of the German users don´t want to see this" - so I believe this is a legitime measure for German users (as I don´t know the preference of non-German users) ;)
    Whatever happened to consistency? :(
    To me it makes absolutely no sense for things to be one way for one language and another way for other languages. IMHO language files should only be used for translation. If people don't want certain text then we could consider removing it... for all languages... or for none.
    Fully agree in general, but I still believe this is an one-time-exception ;)
    And BTW: A lot of language files are incomplete and missing translations ;)
    Maybe we should consider a special language translation thread and invite users to contribute?

regeszter

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 29, 2005
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    Can I switch this off?

You can not. The now/next as string were hardcoded. I just replaced with start time of the program. I can add a switch to configure if required but our MediaPortal will became OptionsPortal.

1. Now + Program Title like old MP
    2. StartTime + Program Title like MP 1.16
    3. Now + StartTime + Program Title

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    At this moment it's just my own remark: "I don't like it!" But I expect the German community to freak out...

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    This kind of stuff causes me to feel really frustrated and a bit angry. I thought we had higher standards for MP, but obviously I was wrong. :(

...because 99,9% of the German users don´t want to see this...
    Please provide a link to the poll showing this result.

...so I believe this is a legitime measure for German users...
    In my opinion this is a hack, and therefore it's not a legitimate measure for any group of people.

...(as I don´t know the preference of non-German users) ;)
    With respect, that's a weak excuse. You could have asked any time, and you can still ask now.

Fully agree in general, but I still believe this is an one-time-exception ;)
    As above: I don't agree with what has been done. In my opinion it's not a legitimate measure or exception. Rather, it seems like somebody made a unilateral decision based on their own preference. :eek::mad: Therefore I think the "exception" should be removed immediately.

And BTW: A lot of language files are incomplete and missing translations ;)
    There's a huge difference between missing translations and intentional "translation deviations".

At this moment it's just my own remark: "I don't like it!" But I expect the German community to freak out...
    So let them freak out. If people don't like the additional text, they can either customise their installation, or propose a change so the team can make an informed decision about what to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom