100% CPU Usage and still Stutter, need a new Graphic Card? (1 Viewer)

Tech Geek

Portal Pro
January 29, 2006
Denver, CO USA
Callifo said:
Cant explain that one, while it is a dx application it shouldnt be using that much. Think about it like a game, if you playing an FPS and are doing absoltely nothing, its still going to be rendering the image so it will be using cpu time. But the amount of cpu would be a lot less (much less to render), as mine last time I looked was about 5% idle on my 2600+ Sempron.

Actually, a well written game will test to see if it needs to render a new screen image.
You have a flag that you set if you modify any part of the scene and when you go to render the screen you test the flag. If it's set you clear the flag and render the screen. If it's not set you skip the rendering and the screen contents are left as is.

Christoph_vW

Portal Member
January 31, 2006
I am using CyberLink Video/SP Decoder (hardware acceleration enabled in PowerDVD options - you need version 5 or higher) and ffdshow Audio Decoder.

Runs without any frame drops on:

Celeron 700
512MB RAM
Geforce FX 5200
Hauppauge WinTV PVR350
Windows XP SP2

Tech Geek

Portal Pro
January 29, 2006
Denver, CO USA
Callifo said:
True but most screens always have something happening, ie homescreen = that gif image/clock/miniscreen.

Yes but the clock doesn't need the screen updated more than 1 time per second and a video doesn't need to update more than the frames/sec of the source video. On top of that the monitor or TV screen doesn't even refresh over 60-70 times per second anyway. There are a lot of clock cycles in between.

bigboss97

Portal Pro
January 31, 2006
Sydney
Home Country
Christoph_vW said:
I am using CyberLink Video/SP Decoder (hardware acceleration enabled in PowerDVD options - you need version 5 or higher) and ffdshow Audio Decoder.

Runs without any frame drops on:

Celeron 700
512MB RAM
Geforce FX 5200
Hauppauge WinTV PVR350
Windows XP SP2

How's your CPU usage in idle state?
I've just noticed that the 25-30% CPU usage is there even when MP is minimized, i.e. nothing to be re-drawn.

ronilse

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 19, 2005
    Moss
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    You are using MP on the primary screen (it has to be)?
    Normal load on CPU in MP Homepage is 2 – 5%, so this indicates that you have something running (plugin, etc) in background.
    You could also post your MP.log here.

Regards
    Roy

bigboss97

Portal Pro
    January 31, 2006
    Sydney
    Home Country
    wortelsoft said:
    you could try the latency tool from guru 3d:

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=951

Als enable vertical sync of your video card (this is called different on different brands of cards)

Couldn't find Vertical Sync option, but found something...
    Vertical lines
    Front porch: 1
    Back porch: 21
    Sync polarity: +
    Sync width: 3
    Refresh rate: 75
    Active pixels: 600
    Don't dare to touch it :)

Also Display Mode Timing:
    Auto-detect (selected)
    General Timing Formula
    Discrete Monitor Timing
    Coordinated Video Timing
    Fixed aspect ration timing

By the way, my PC is connect to a plasma VGA input (800x600). So, it has very limited graphic modes.

I also tried a driver (83.40 WHQL) from guru3d. It didn't help :-(

Will look at the latency tool soon.

thanks
    Phuoc

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    For Nvidia, Display Properties -> Settings -> Advanced -> <Video card> -> Performance and Quality settings

Turn Vertical Sync from application controlled to On.

jdivic

Portal Pro
    October 25, 2005
    Croatia
    Do you have VFD or any kind of external display on case? I have iMon display and when I use plugin for driving that display I have processor load of about 20-30% when idle. If I turn display and plugin off procesor load when idle is about 5%... try to shut down all MP plugins and check processor load, than turn plugins one by one and check... you should be able to find out what plugin causes load of 20-30%...
    bye

bigboss97

Portal Pro
    January 31, 2006
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Callifo said:
    For Nvidia, Display Properties -> Settings -> Advanced -> <Video card> -> Performance and Quality settings

Turn Vertical Sync from application controlled to On.

Thanks for the detailed description. I set it to ON now. It was set to 'application controlled'. I also tried OFF (accidentally) it wasn't bad either.

Now, it's still dropping some frames, but no longer in regular interval. So, I guess that's my reception because my Leadtek software also drops frames (but not that frequently).

When I was trying this last night some of the channels are 'down' (scrambled channel). Strange, they still can be viewed with Leadtek software. I'll have a closer look.

Just curious, what's the vertical sync option for, i.e. which case should be on/off?

Thanks
    Phuoc

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom