3D video support for MP2 (1 Viewer)

radical

Portal Pro
December 16, 2010
Home Country
Germany Germany
A 3D-TV schould always recognise SBS, TAB or Frame Packing also without the plugin.
The Auto-3D plugin increase the usabillity by automaticly swithing your TV an MP OSD in 3D Mode.

spenca

Portal Pro
December 19, 2006
Home Country
Austria Austria
A 3D-TV schould always recognise SBS, TAB or Frame Packing also without the plugin.
The Auto-3D plugin increase the usabillity by automaticly swithing your TV an MP OSD in 3D Mode.

This is not true ... how should this work?? a SBS or TAB looks like a normal 2D frame for the TV. Different with frame-packing, there you would find your own protocol over the player and TV is communicating. Furthermore a frame-packed frame has its own format at all, so recognition is very easy for TV.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Some 3D TV's claim to detect SBS and TAB 3D. I imagine they do it by process the image and comparing the two halves.

spenca

Portal Pro
    December 19, 2006
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Some 3D TV's claim to detect SBS and TAB 3D. I imagine they do it by process the image and comparing the two halves.

Really? Nice feature!! I havent seen such a model, but if it works this save some hacking on remote ;-))

Marcus Venturi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 23, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Both MP1 (via 3rd party plugin) & MP2 are having non-optimal 3D quality for the video playback. In both cases 50% of the pixels get lost as the image is scaled. To overcome this limitation we should do a proper 3D support. This can be done with Windows 8 natively with OS API (requires DX11.1 based renderer) or with olders OSes with GPU manufacturer specific APIs. It is propably only worth to go with the Windows 8 route.

Yes and no. The problem is, that most 3D TVs that are currently sold are using polarized glasses. They are much cheaper, that the ones with the shutter glasses. Especially if one needs more glassed for the family members. The drawback of this technology is, that the pictures have only the half resolution, because the images for the left/right eye are shown simulaneously on different polarization planes.

If you are playing a 3D BluRay in Windows 8 with framepacking support, you won't get a better quality or higher resolution on those TVs. Currently it looks the polarized glasses will dominate the market in the future.

This might be the reason why the manufacturers start the push the new 4K TVs, because they can display a 3D movie in the full quality, but I think it will take a while till they are affordable for the most of us.

So I won't sign that MP1/MP2 have non-optimal 3D quality, at least not for the moment. But that might change in the future. ;)

Despite of that it makes sense to get frame packing support with Windows 8 into MP1/MP2, but I won't get a Windows 8 license for my HTPC just for that. So for Windows 7 it is necessary to support at least a correct display for 3D SBS/TAB movies.

Last edited:

spenca

Portal Pro
    December 19, 2006
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Both MP1 (via 3rd party plugin) & MP2 are having non-optimal 3D quality for the video playback. In both cases 50% of the pixels get lost as the image is scaled. To overcome this limitation we should do a proper 3D support. This can be done with Windows 8 natively with OS API (requires DX11.1 based renderer) or with olders OSes with GPU manufacturer specific APIs. It is propably only worth to go with the Windows 8 route.

Yes and no. The problem is, that most 3D TVs that are currently sold are using polarized glasses. They are much cheaper, that the ones with the shutter glasses. Especially if one needs more glassed for the family members. The drawback of this technology is, that the pictures have only the half resolution, because the images for the left/right eye are shown simulaneously on different polarization planes.

If you are playing a 3D BluRay in Windows 8 with framepacking support, you won't get a better quality or higher resolution on those TVs. Currently it looks the polarized glasses will dominate the market in the future.

This might be the reason why the manufacturers start the push the new 4K TVs, because they can display a 3D movie in the full quality, but I think it will take a while till they are affordable for the most of us.

So I won't sign that MP1/MP2 have non-optimal 3D quality, at least not for the moment. But that might change in the future. ;)

Despite of that it makes sense to get frame packing support with Windows 8 into MP1/MP2, but I won't get a Windows 8 license for my HTPC just for that. So for Windows 7 it is necessary to support at least a correct display for 3D SBS/TAB movies.

Hi all!

I have a LG passive 3D TV and I would NOT say, that picture quality in 3D mode is less than in shutter technology. Marcus is right in explaining the passive glasses, what additionally the fact is, that the TV plane itself always have a full HD picture at all. Just for one eye it makes it half in resolution. The industry says, that our brain is able to fill this half-side pics together to "see" a full HD pic at the end in our brains. I can confirm this! Picture is clear than it is in common shutter TVs, but much more quiet and smoother for my eyes!

Greets!

Mario

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005

MP doesn't aim the lowest quality denominator :p Otherwise we would be still just having NTSC SD resolution with crappy mono sound :)

If you are really into developing the W8 based frame packing support then the lisence is not an issue - consider it already bought one :)

Last edited:

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    The industry says, that our brain is able to fill this half-side pics together to "see" a full HD pic at the end in our brains. I can confirm this! Picture is clear than it is in common shutter TVs, but much more quiet and smoother for my eyes!

This is pretty much same with the interlaced content - half of the image data is trown away and then "regenerated" either by brain or deinterlasing algorithms. Both are not 100% same quality as the real progressive content. Of course it is a bit bad comparision since interlacing is good for some fast movement like sports as it allows the double fps with some loss of detail.

spenca

Portal Pro
    December 19, 2006
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    The industry says, that our brain is able to fill this half-side pics together to "see" a full HD pic at the end in our brains. I can confirm this! Picture is clear than it is in common shutter TVs, but much more quiet and smoother for my eyes!

This is pretty much same with the interlaced content - half of the image data is trown away and then "regenerated" either by brain or deinterlasing algorithms. Both are not 100% same quality as the real progressive content. Of course it is a bit bad comparision since interlacing is good for some fast movement like sports as it allows the double fps with some loss of detail.

... pretty the same, with the different, that every eye is showing another half of the full HD frame at the same time. Important is the distance between your eyes and the TV. There's a point where your eyes suddenly see horizontal lines, this is too close to TV ;-). But also this depends on the plane of TV. I have a AOC PC monitor with passive 3D technology, and the distance between is about half a meter with no problem at all! In any case I think, passive 3D technology is cheap and it works like it should, and this is the point for future technologies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom