4:3 skin ::: aMPed 2.0 final (1 Viewer)

joz

Portal Pro
March 17, 2008
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Well yeah it does look good but it's a widescreen screenshot.
Not sure if this kinda design will work in 4:3, small screen and large fonts. Will keep it in mind though, nothing has been decided yet.

happy

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 6, 2009
    Explorer :D
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Well yeah it does look good but it's a widescreen screenshot.
    Not sure if this kinda design will work in 4:3, small screen and large fonts. Will keep it in mind though, nothing has been decided yet.

yeah i know its widescreen but something along them lines i personally reackon would look amazing, cheers for considering it :)

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Happy - LOL, wouldn't it be nice! Chop the width of that screen by 45% and height by 20%. Then increase the font size by several points so you can actually see it on a small screen. Then imagine what it would look like, and you'll see what we are up against! That said, we do appreciate your feedback, and we got some ideas so stay tuned! We're trying to get everything we can in there, but it ain't easy!

Re the major overhaul, I was referring to the TV Section a lot of which is from the default Blue3 skin. For 4:3 I think perspective menus/sliding panels are the only way to keep the main screen free for as much data and gfx as possible. Joz and I are new at MP skinning so have patience, but keep the feedback coming!

happy

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 6, 2009
    Home Country
    Happy - LOL, wouldn't it be nice! Chop the width of that screen by 45% and height by 20%. Then increase the font size by several points so you can actually see it on a small screen. Then imagine what it would look like, and you'll see what we are up against! That said, we do appreciate your feedback, and we got some ideas so stay tuned! We're trying to get everything we can in there, but it ain't easy!

Re the major overhaul, I was referring to the TV Section a lot of which is from the default Blue3 skin. For 4:3 I think perspective menus/sliding panels are the only way to keep the main screen free for as much data and gfx as possible. Joz and I are new at MP skinning so have patience, but keep the feedback coming!

point taken lol, maybe i should just get a new monitor

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    That's what everyone tells me to do! But here in India the multinational companies dump their two year old tech for almost double the price! And they wonder why the world thinks they are robber barons! So I gotta wait for the old stock to go so I can buy something decent.

happy

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 6, 2009
    Home Country
    That's what everyone tells me to do! But here in India the multinational companies dump their two year old tech for almost double the price! And they wonder why the world thinks they are robber barons! So I gotta wait for the old stock to go so I can buy something decent.

thats strange, everytime i go India im shocked at the prices, everything is cheaper there, but then again £ is worth alot more than the Rupee and the exchange rate etc.

explodedk

Portal Pro
    December 27, 2008
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    happy... if ya uncle have a hdtv i wouldn't run a 4:3 skin...
    in a 4:3 skin you cant have that much focus on fanart as streamedmp has in your screenshot...

happy

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 6, 2009
    Home Country
    happy... if ya uncle have a hdtv i wouldn't run a 4:3 skin...
    in a 4:3 skin you cant have that much focus on fanart as streamedmp has in your screenshot...

im not running a 4:3 on his HDTV it was a comparison i havent had the privilege of using MP in widescreen

moh

Portal Member
    February 12, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi Dadeo,

That's great Moh, what did you hard code in the xml for the weather condition to display properly? I had the same thing happen on my weather today! And on the first line there was only one 5 letter word!

We have made the RSS feed 10 pts higher, moved a few things around. I'm glad that works for you cuz there ain't no more space! I'll check out the Video OSD at a height of 60 and see if I can live with that.

Just checked out r84 for some testing - the video-osd looks very good. Also the weather-page looks perfect. Wow.
    But still got the RSS-ticker issue. I din't find any changes in svn regarding the position of the feed - it's still at y=535 in common-window-home.xml.

Ah, and the weather condiition thing:
    I just changed the string resources and also replaced '#temp | #condition' by something longer like '#temp | bla bla blubb muh #condition', no wrapping in both cases. I hope the gui-behaviour is similar with real weather data - never got such complex condition values during the last days ;)
    Another way of testing it could be to manipulate the curWeather.xml in the cache folder - to force some conditions known as problematic... I'll check it out tomorrow.

Thanks again for your excellent work guys, I love this skin :D

Regards,
    moh

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Glad the changes are working for you. Joz is trying some extra magic on myweather (and it wasn't actually perfect, but thanks) RSS TIcker was originally posy 545 in the 1.0 download zip. I changed it to 535 way back in revision 53 (was that only 2 days ago?) and then Joz incorporated that change in the new common.window.home.xml

With future changes we might be able to squeeze some more space for it. Maybe we can get it up to 530 (which should be within the recommended overscan). In the meantime just move it up a bit :)

Thanks for the tip about weather condition. I tried the blah blah blah technique and it didn't wrap on me! Go figure.

Do tell us what your favorite screens are, it will help us in designing new layouts! Not to mention boost our energy (egos?) LOL!

BTW have you checked out the Customizing aMPed pages on Google Groups?
    Customizing basic menus - aMPed - General discussion | Google Groups
    Customizing TVSeries - aMPed - General discussion | Google Groups

It's an open discussion, so users can add their own tips, or even create a discussion on things they do to tailor aMPed just the way they like! Tips like that tend to get lost in the forum, whereas we can keep those pages updated. Kinda like a sticky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom