5.1 audio over built-in RealTek optical output (1 Viewer)

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I'm trying to get my built-in RealTek ALC892 optical output to provide some 5.1 audio.
    All I get from it is 2 channels PCM.
    As anyone been through that before?

yoavain

Extension Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 24, 2009
    Home Country
    Israel Israel
    I can think of several things you can check:
    1. Windows speakers configuration. (Make sure your set to 5.1 and not stereo)
    2. Driver configuration (RealTek control panel)
    3. Codecs configuration (Make sure you're not setting it to stereo, etc.)
    You did not say if this is a problem you see in MP or not. You should first make sure you get 5.1 regardless of MP.
    You can use GraphStudioNext (or something like that) to see which codecs are used, and getting an easy way to configure codecs.

Also, you can try using this excellent guide by @kiwijunglist:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/guide-perfect-playback-display-calibration.119610/

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Optical or SPDIF of the 892 cannot transport 5.1. Instead it "knows"only about

- PCM
    - Dolby Digital
    - DTS

If you want DoDolby Digital Live (5.1) like in many games, you will need to add some other sound solution to the PC

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Windows speakers configuration. (Make sure your set to 5.1 and not stereo)

From the "Manage audio device" the "Configure" button is disabled for the S/PDIF so I can't choose a 5.1 speaker configuration from there.
    There is also no such option for S/PDIF in RealTek configuration screen.

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    You did not say if this is a problem you see in MP or not. You should first make sure you get 5.1 regardless of MP.
    You can use GraphStudioNext (or something like that) to see which codecs are used, and getting an easy way to configure codecs.
    Also, you can try using this excellent guide by @kiwijunglist:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/guide-perfect-playback-display-calibration.119610/

It's not specific to MP. I tried VLC and PowerDVD 12 and I have the same issues there.
    Thanks for the pointer I'll do some reading and try out that software you mentioned as soon as I get a chance.

For now my DecoderStation 7 AVR is going back to Teufel as it's emitting a pretty bad background whine.
    I would be happier if I could just get HDMI Audio working since it seems optical is no easier to deal with.

I knew there was a reason I kept my good hold stereo HiFi for years :)

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Optical or SPDIF of the 892 cannot transport 5.1. Instead it "knows"only about

- PCM
    - Dolby Digital
    - DTS

If you want DoDolby Digital Live (5.1) like in many games, you will need to add some other sound solution to the PC

Are you saying this is a limitation of my hardware? I have little understanding of audio so feel free to educate me :)

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Yes, that's exactly right. You can use either of the three options above, but nothing else.

The question is why you are so keen on 5.1. Music is PCM-Stereo, TV is DolbyDigital (AC3) and DVD is DTS. You "lose" advanced formats such as DTS-HD and your games will play stereo only. You can use your AV Receiver to upmix PCM to something higher, but keep in mind that you are then listening to something that was not there originally.

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    So if games just can't use it it's really not what I want. When I said 5.1 I just meant dolby I guess, but even when watching TV or BD over optical I was still getting PCM 2 channels that my AVR was upmixing.

Last edited:

yoavain

Extension Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 24, 2009
    Home Country
    Israel Israel
    What about AC3Filter?
    I think that I used to use it when my receiver only supported one sample rate.
    IIRC, it can convert any 5.1 into AC3 (this applies to movies, not games)

AC3Filter_SPDIF.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread