A new Plugin for the Music-Part! Is it possible? (1 Viewer)

Imokles

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 27, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Also make sure that you use some other tagging tool as well than iTunes as it is known to have it's own way of handling few things.

I'll try this first. I was under the impressiong though, that iTunes tags should be compatible with MediaPortal. To me, this clearly shows that ID3 tags aren't 100% reliable. But I'm clearly wrong. :rolleyes:

This is sad though, as iTunes (even though it's at times painfully slow), is very user friendly, AND totally free.
    Emph
    I also use iTunes, and yes, iTunes does not write everything you modify into the ID3 Tags of the music file itself. Some things are only stored in its own library.xml file. I don't know exactly which modifications go into the ID3 tags and which don't, and it's not really documented.
    So you can either tag your music outside iTunes or use a freeware tool like "iTunes store file validator" (google for itsfv) to force updates to the ID3 tags from within iTunes. I use this tool (among other things) to create the folder.jpg files that MP can pick up to display covers.

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    So you can either tag your music outside iTunes or use a freeware tool like "iTunes store file validator" (google for itsfv) to force updates to the ID3 tags from within iTunes. I use this tool (among other things) to create the folder.jpg files that MP can pick up to display covers.

I'm currently running itsfv and maaan it's sloooow. It would be really cool if MediaPortal (or a new music plugin for it :p ) could import the iTunes database directly. I've spent all the spare time I could muster up the last three days to run/restart the app everytime I don't use my HTPC for what it's supposed to be doing (watching/listening to media) and as the app eats CPU like crazy, I can't run it silently either.

Edit: How does the album cover fetching work in MediaPortal's music section? I almost never get it to work, and it always gives me two different screens when I try it for different albums. Either it's jumping to
    a) the screen where you can choose if it should skip albums that already have artwork or
    b) it shows me a list of matches directly, even though I already have artwork

Is this broken in MediaPortal 1.0.2 (stable)?

Emph

ysmp

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 17, 2008
    Seoul.
    Home Country
    South Korea South Korea

I'm currently running itsfv and maaan it's sloooow. It would be really cool if MediaPortal (or a new music plugin for it :p ) could import the iTunes database directly. I've spent all the spare time I could muster up the last three days to run/restart the app everytime I don't use my HTPC for what it's supposed to be doing (watching/listening to media) and as the app eats CPU like crazy, I can't run it silently either.

Edit: How does the album cover fetching work in MediaPortal's music section? I almost never get it to work, and it always gives me two different screens when I try it for different albums. Either it's jumping to
    a) the screen where you can choose if it should skip albums that already have artwork or
    b) it shows me a list of matches directly, even though I already have artwork

Is this broken in MediaPortal 1.0.2 (stable)?

Emph

hi emph ! abut the tag editing ..i use Mp3tag ....link :Mp3tag - the universal Tag Editor (ID3v1, ID3v2, APEv2)
    for long time , after you know all option it is very fast to fix the tag's aspaclay for larg colaction ...try it ..it's free..
    my music abut 10,000 songs

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    So, now I've tagged ALL of my music correctly (according to iTunes), and I've manually fixed missing artwork etc. for everything. Still, when I reorganize my music database in MP (using embedded artwork as the provider) I don't have artwork for everything. :(

But on a brighter note, it seems that someone will soon be working on a new plugin that's related to the display of the database information. :D
    Emph

neme5i5

Portal Member
    June 8, 2006
    This thread started with good potential but has now missed the mark in two key ways.

The biggest problem with most media systems is that they take mouse and keyboard media players like winamp, media monkey, and others then remove features and blow up the font until it is viewable from a distance. This is ok if you are still navigating with a mouse and keyboard but clunky at best if you are using a remote. There are a couple of design concepts that are lacking from the current MP Library.

1. Global Search

Most of the time I don't know the artist or album but I do know the song. Search should return results from the entire music library and use all tags. For example, there is no way for me to search for composer without closing media portal and using another tool.

2. List all songs

Under any view I would like to be able to list all songs instead of having to go to the bottom of the view tree all the time or define a custom view via configuration to see all songs. This is a feature found on the iPhone it's very helpful.

3. Navigational Awareness is another area that could be improved but the first two are my highest priority.

For me good music navigation with a finger or remote is key because two or my three Media Portal PC setups I have media portal connected directly to an integrated amp with speakers to play bit perfect audio.

As for the posts about tag editing, Media Monkey works very well for me.

PussyWagon

Portal Pro
    August 2, 2008
    So, now I've tagged ALL of my music correctly (according to iTunes), and I've manually fixed missing artwork etc. for everything. Still, when I reorganize my music database in MP (using embedded artwork as the provider) I don't have artwork for everything. :(

But on a brighter note, it seems that someone will soon be working on a new plugin that's related to the display of the database information. :D
    Emph

This is one of the features in MovingPictures that works very well and hopefully could be done in a MUCH better way in the music section as well. Coverart and fanart grabbing should not be a hard thing to do, perhaps it is possible to use the code from MovingPictures and just change the scrapers and search terms to use ID3 tags.

As you asked emph, I also wonder how this coverart grabbing function works in MP as most of the time it DONT find anything for me. :(

elhefe

Portal Member
    October 5, 2009
    Home Country
    Argentina Argentina
    it would be awesome if sbdy could come up with a plugin that works like COVERJUKE, it would be perfect!

Hawkeye

Portal Pro
    January 29, 2005
    Halle (Saale)
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom