Ability to read CD-Text (2 Viewers)

tomtom21000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Germany
    I have a lot of burned Music CD´s with compilations or Best of.
    They are all with CD-Text. Would be nice if Mediaportal could read this information and use it when playing a CD.

tomtom21000

tomtom21000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Germany
    Hey, just remembered this 9 month old feature request :)wink: ) for a cd-text support.

Anyone else interested? Anyone wants to try to implement this support?

tomtom

tomtom21000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Germany
    I try it once a year ;) 2004, 2005 now 2006...

I spent 20 hours to tag my music nicely lately using 4 different taggers. I use the music part a lot lately and would like to get the compilations from post 1 to my hd. but this way i will need to tag every single song again. they all have cd-text, but i think noone else has this constellation.

I´ll be back 2007 ;)

tomtom

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    I'd like it a lot.
    I use CD text for all my "in-car" compilations (the pre MP3 head unit ones).

Probably your best bet is to post this in either of Steve's feature request threads. The tag editor or the ideas for improving my music. Can't be too difficult to implement if even MS can do it ;-)

Got to love your patience and manners, too.

knutinh

Portal Pro
    September 4, 2005
    Why not rip the CDs as FLAC with a program that supports CD-text->tags?

AFter all, hds are cheap, programming hours are expensive =)

-k

tomtom21000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Germany
    knutinth, marcusb:

thanks for the feedback.

the initial request was made for listening to these cd´s and track1, track2 looks horrible.
    but with bigger HDs i might start ripping a couple of them to HD.
    For listening it would still be helpful but then again it is an outdated technology that never was used much.

To use an appropriate ripper (instead of the mp build-in) is probably the solution. did not think of it.

if a programmer is interested: there still seem to be only commercial api´s around, but

you might take a look at Tiny Player. it is under GNU GPL, located on sourceforge. It is written in C++, but maybe it can be tranformed, wrapped or give inspiration on how to do it.

Audio, video and CD player that uses DirectShow technology. It can read (but not modify) ID3/Ogg/APE/WMA tags and show sub/srt/aqt/dks subtitles. CD information can be obtained from freedb, CD-TEXT or cdplayer.ini and submitted to freedb.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/tinyplayer/

tomtom

kingboyk

Portal Member
    June 5, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    uFreedb was written in VB6 and released under the GPL. I'm pretty sure it supported CDText (and, if not, the author - Jon Zahornacky - sent me some code to use, which I may still have). It might be possible to convert it to VB.net. I'd suggest it may at least be worthwhile finding a copy of the uFreedb source and having a look at it.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread