Completed Added my project to the wiki (1 Viewer)

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Really nice job on the HTPC and showroom powermarcel10 - I think you should copy it to a Blog on our HP!

Of course I disagree with ' MovingPictures as the ultimate plugin for (all your) movie collection" It is a great plugin, and easy, but the ultimate is My Films - it does about 10x more than MovingPictures. :p

powermarcel10

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 30, 2010
    Groningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Really nice job on the HTPC and showroom powermarcel10 - I think you should copy it to a Blog on our HP!

Of course I disagree with ' MovingPictures as the ultimate plugin for (all your) movie collection" It is a great plugin, and easy, but the ultimate is My Films - it does about 10x more than MovingPictures. :p

Thanks Dadeo!

I have done some updates to it allready as there where some things missing including some misspellings.. (I'm shure there are still ~100.000, but I can't find them as my English is not THAT good! :p)

Would be nice if the team like to publish it as a kind of news blog. But I'm not going to ask for it. :)

BUT some more frequent blog and news things on our website would be cool! I liked the interviews with team members we have done a couple of times in the past as an example.

About Myfilms, I think both are pretty awesome, but Myfilms is for me personally WAY to complex.. MovingPictures is doing exactly what I need, and I like the ease of use.. But I'm shure that you're right that Myfilms can do a lot more.. I have tried it a couple of times, but everytime I dropped it as it is so enormous extensive.

Do you have experience on both? Can you give me a couple of highlights of Myfilms that MovingPictures doesn't do? Maybe I should give it one more try! ;)

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I was just teasing you about the word 'ultimate' which in English means 'Representing or exhibiting the greatest possible development or sophistication." :p

I am a big believer in choices. and I think it is great that every user can choose the movie plugin that suits them best. Moving Pictures and My Films are both great plugins, and I am very impressed with the work Deda has done on Videos in MP. I have used all three, though of course I am more familiar with My Films.

You can read all the 'unique' features of My Films in the blog My Films 6 released under 'What's so Unique about My Films'. However, the main reasons I choose My Films are:
    1. Easy Setup - My Films is one of the few plugins that offers a Setup Wizard - and if you have a movie catalog already it's a 2 min setup max. - you don't even have to rescan your data, My Films just loads it up. If you don't have a movie catalog already, it's a bit like MP - it can be as easy or as complex as you want because there are so many options you can choose to customize.
    2. Never scan my data again - and store it where I want - database/artwork etc can be anywhere I want.
    3. Advanced and Batch/Global Updates by record/group of records or by field or group of fields. I am very picky about my data and over the years different grabbers and changes in source data, result in inconsistencies. When you use advanced views (to view your data by field/value) or search, that makes a big difference. Plus, update by field is essential for me because I have customized my data quit a bit over the years and My Films lets me select which fields to update with newer data, or preserve my custom edits.
    4. Views and Views Menu - I love being able to view my data by any field 'on the fly' - such as to see how many of my movies use a specific codec, fps, which are on hard drive (even which one) DVD/ old CDs etc. I can even see my own comments about the quality of the disk/file or a zillion other things if I want. I often check how many films I have from a specific studio, director, country aso. And if I use a view often, I can just save it in GUI and it displays on the Views Menu (even saving my layout, sort options etc)
    5. Control over titles - My Films has always let you select if you prefer to use the original title or translated title. Now it even lets you select which aka titles (and certifications) to grab by region/language. You don't need any other add ons like IMDB+ to do all that.
    6. Search! I often see an actor in a film and I know I saw them in a film before - 2 sec search for other films with the same actor without typing a single character - My Films lists all the actors, I just select them from the list and it finds the other films in my database. (the Actors Info Deda has added to Videos is really awesome imo - but not quite as easy as a context related search).
    7. Probably one of the big reasons I use My Films is the option to use whatever movie catalog app I want as a back end. If you have ever used one, you just can't go back to using 'View Movies' ;) with it's limited options and display.
    I could go on and on LOL That's just a few of the major reasons I use My Films. But as I said, it depends on your needs and preferences and you should pick the plugin that suits you best.

All that is pretty OT, but you asked :p

Users who are viewing this thread