Added Option to play TS Files with Movie Codec (1 Viewer)

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Hi,

Related to this Mantis : -->>4355 <<--
    Branch related -->> here <<--
    Link for Full Installer : -->> here <<--

Actually all .TS files is played with TsReader source filter.
    We can add an option (MP Config and GUI) to use Movie codec section when playing from MyVideo. (It can use LAV Splitter for ex.)

2013.04.15 : Area 51 for testing

What need testing :
    • Try to play .TS files inside Myvideos with or without options checked
    Configuration_Video_Codecs_for_TS.PNG

Last edited:

Dragy

Portal Pro
    April 27, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I don't see how this is useful? Can someone explain a case when this option is preferred?
    Is the only advantage that you don't have to pick the codecs at both sections?

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I don't see how this is useful? Can someone explain a case when this option is preferred?
    Have to say I agree. I can only see this adding more options to confuse people.

@Sebastiii what is the reason for needing this option?

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    Have to say I agree. I can only see this adding more options to confuse people.

@Sebastiii what is the reason for needing this option?

Well, if you play a TS file the way you are 'supposed' to (live or recorded TV) then it will always use TV codec settings.

I guess if you have a TS file in your videos, you might expect it to play it with the video codecs.

To be honest, I don't see any reason for this to be a setting. If the file is in your videos, it should automatically play with video codecs. This patch won't affect TV playback from recorded/live TV will it?

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    Currently all ts files play with TV codecs. I have a feeling this is to force TSreader to be used and there is a good chance that codecs that work with video settings won't work with TSreader?

Just trying to figure out what the issue is with playing TS files from my videos using TV codecs? (There is a warning that all TS files will use TV codecs)

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Hi Guys,

@vuego can tell us more, i have added this for him but also have in mind for others too.
    For example playing .ts from movpic will use TsReader and also codec from TV Section.

Lav Splitter does a good job for .TS and use MPC-HC Subtitle engine too (so you can use external subtitle with .ts etc.)
    So maybe it's the way to do, if we play from MyVideo, Moving Pictures / MyFilm etc. -> USE Movie codec section and let use TsReader for TV.

Why added an option, to let the user choose what he want lol.

All working nicely here even on movpic but movpic need to parse a 'true' of 'false' to tell MP to use or not TsReader :)

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    At present, we register TsReader.ax as the default splitter for .ts files in the system, so in theory other players will use it to play *all* .ts files. This isn't a great idea, since TsReader.ax isn't a very 'generic' splitter, so maybe we should stop doing that anyway.

There is a problem in that some cameras/camcorders use .ts as the file extension (and TsReader.ax can't handle the files so they won't play in MP).

Maybe the compromise would be to get the video player to check for a .xml file of the same name as the .ts file (which always exist for TV server recordings, AFAIK) - if it exists then it uses the TsReader player/splitter (which means you get DVB subtitle support etc), otherwise it uses the splitter filter specified in the video codec settings ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom