Added Option to play TS Files with Movie Codec (1 Viewer)

vuego

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 5, 2006
    Göteborg
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Lav Splitter does a good job for .TS and use MPC-HC Subtitle engine too (so you can use external subtitle with .ts etc.)
    This is the reason for this patch. Thanks Sebastiii :)
    Without this option is it impossible to use external subtitles with .ts files.

So maybe it's the way to do, if we play from MyVideo, Moving Pictures / MyFilm etc. -> USE Movie codec section and let use TsReader for TV.
    Yes, this will also do. Use TSReader only in the TV Plugin and system default everywhere else. Less confusing settings, elliott :)

Maybe the compromise would be to get the video player to check for a .xml file of the same name as the .ts file (which always exist for TV server recordings, AFAIK) -
    Users of ARGUS TV for scheduling and TV-Server for recording doesn't get .xml files stored with the recording. All program information is stored inside the file.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Users of ARGUS TV for scheduling and TV-Server for recording doesn't get .xml files stored with the recording. All program information is stored inside the file

That's OK - in that case it would use the video splitter, which is what you wanted anyway i.e. it would only use TsReader with files generated by MP TV Server.

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    So why do we need this to be an option? Are there .ts files that will not be played by LAVF but can be played with TsReader?

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    So why do we need this to be an option? Are there .ts files that will not be played by LAVF but can be played with TsReader?

Probably not (I've never found one that LAV splitter couldn't handle), but you don't get DVB subtitle or teletext support, and I find the capability of playing TV recordings from the video player very useful for dev work on TsReader.ax (dev laptop has no TV capability....) - but that is a very specific use case ;)

Maybe we should hide the new option in the hidden debug settings ? (and make the video player *not* use TsReader by default)

(thinking about hidden debug options - is it time to un-hide the UNC paths option for TV ? - it's at least as stable as RTSP, and quite often better, if user feedback is correct)

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Probably not (I've never found one that LAV splitter couldn't handle), but you don't get DVB subtitle or teletext support, and I find the capability of playing TV recordings from the video player very useful for dev work on TsReader.ax (dev laptop has no TV capability....) - but that is a very specific use case ;)

I need it as well quite often (MPAR simulated live tv etc.) :)

Maybe we should hide the new option in the hidden debug settings ? (and make the video player *not* use TsReader by default)

Debug setting in XML sounds good, but it causes the teletext subtitle support to not to work which is quite important for some people so it might not be suitable solution.

Holzi

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 21, 2010
    Ba-Wü
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Why so much drama about this option?
    It is at the right place with a good description and it is useful!
    My opinion. :)

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    Why so much drama about this option?
    It is at the right place with a good description and it is useful!
    My opinion. :)

It's not drama. It's just about whether there is any possible advantage in using TsReader now? If not, we should just change the default behaviour and no need for an option.

If there is a good reason to use both depending on your usage case, then we need an option.

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Really, i don't care (even a little) i know (me) i like to be able to choose what i want (so option) but i understand all post too.

Why i post this in area51, because it's a pain to maintain fork build lol (big part related to resolve thingy) i have this for a while now but for ex :
    On moving picture, i set in code to force to use .TS (that mean that movpic need an option too ?) or maybe change the behaviour and if option is checked all external player (except TV) will use it ?

Too many question / Too many hours to try to analyse it (yeah my skill is low) so better to scratch this option :)

Holzi

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 21, 2010
    Ba-Wü
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    IMO this does not have any (negative) affects on endusers. If people don't wanna change this behaviour as it is now they won't even look at this option.
    I can see that all this discussion gets annoying for @Sebastiii.
    Thanks!

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    I understand that another option is again to confuse people even if wiki is well documented, but that always annoying me that play something on myvideo use TV Codec.

But i can understand Tourette point that some .TS has subtitle teletext inside the stream, that say teletext sub for me on CSAT package is broken so ....(but that another story).

I will try when i get time to not break movpic etc. (i mean not to change the code for use or not TS) the setting should be valide for all vmr9 stuff.
    I didn't remeber why i didn't implemente like this before, mayve that not possible @ the time, i need to look again but for sure, if nobody care about it, why spend my time on this lol (yeah low skill = many hours for few line of code)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom