Adding Explorer To TV Server Processe Tab To Stop Standby (1 Viewer)

Da_JoJo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 6, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    taskmgr.exe

and set in options : hide when minimized

gperkinson

Portal Pro
    October 28, 2008
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi,

So this keeps the machine from going to sleep while in Explorer ... or is it more for anything??

Thanks for the reply - appreciated.

Cheers

Graham

Da_JoJo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 6, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    it prevends going to standbye as long as you have taskmanager running in the background so your wife wont see it on the taskbar and probably get annoyed by it. you have to quit taskmanager manual to go to standbye in this case.

gperkinson

Portal Pro
    October 28, 2008
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks for the reply.

What I really need is for Powerscheduler to understand when in Windows Explorer it will not go to sleep. I don't want to manually do something with Taskmanager to make this happen as my wife will then have to remember to do this rather than just turning on the computer and just start using it. I don't think I'm alone on this when I say that our better halves just want something to work without complications!!

Surely there must be a process command for Windows Explorer I can put into the Processes tab of Powerscheduler?

Regards

Graham

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Besides changing to XPsp3, there is no way in Vista a open explorerer window can be set to keep powerscheduler from shutting pc down.

XP does have this ability, ie if mouse\keyboard used then standby is postponed, and our Dev's currently have no way of making this work the same in Vista and believe me they have tried.

Having your web browser set to stop standby, is by far the easiest logical option.

gperkinson

Portal Pro
    October 28, 2008
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks for the reply Paranoid Delusion - much appreciated.

I'm certainly no expert about what Vista has over XP etc etc, so it's good (or I guess bad in this case) to hear how it is. I was warned about Vista by other people and some of the challenges with it, so I have to say I'm not surprised.

Once again, thanks for the reply.

Regards

Graham

gperkinson

Portal Pro
    October 28, 2008
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi All,

It's been a year since I last wrote in this forum, but I thought it is the best place to post my latest problem which is related to the Powerscheduler processes. I'm glad to say that my Vista 32 bit operating system is behaving itself much better since moving from SP1 to SP2 - all sleep / waking problems appear to be resolved.

The specific issue I appear to be having is centred around the "processes" and the periodic "no tuner card - cannot start timeshifting" error. This appears to happen periodically after I have finished using one of the processes outside Media Portal e.g. internet explorer, handbrake etc without Media Portal on and the machine suddenly goesinto sleep mode as soon as I have finished with the application compared to Media Portal which appears to continue running for the allocated timeout before going into sleep mode.

I guess my question is, when I exit an allocated "process", is there a way of ensuring the machine goes to sleep after the scheduled timeout like Media Portal does?

Any help appreciated.

Regards

Graham

Bump

gperkinson

Portal Pro
    October 28, 2008
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi All,

Would appreciate some help with this one.

I went away on holiday for 4 days, rebooted the machine before I left and had no issues loosing the TV tuner - the machine recorded everything. My problems with the TV tuner appear to be related to the fast S3 sleep shutdown after I have finished using one of the "allocated processes" in Media Portal - but this doesn't happen all the time.

Can anyone help with this??

Cheers

Graham

fromaron

Portal Pro
    October 18, 2007
    Home Country
    Hi All,

Would appreciate some help with this one.

I went away on holiday for 4 days, rebooted the machine before I left and had no issues loosing the TV tuner - the machine recorded everything. My problems with the TV tuner appear to be related to the fast S3 sleep shutdown after I have finished using one of the "allocated processes" in Media Portal - but this doesn't happen all the time.

Can anyone help with this??

Cheers

Graham

Hi Graham.
    I can asure you are not the only person suffering from the problem. To be honest I didn't see a simple solution to it at all. It does appear the problem is more related to your motherboard and the DVB-T card hardware issues during wake up. I do have two different PCs with different DVB-T cards and both were showing the same problem. I managed to fix the problem on one of them by applying new BIOS version. The other PC still waiting for the upfate (no BIOS version I tried so far fixed the problem).
    There is a work around though. Do search for a Standby Tool which lets you to shut down and start up services in the order to suit your particular system. There will be some minor tweaking required, but it's no overly complicated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom