Advice Required: Building a new Freeview PC-PVR (1 Viewer)

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    This morning I installed MP2 for the very first time. :eek:
    It was installed on a virgin Windows 7, and proceeded without a single problem. (y) :)

[All Channels]
    [Digital Terrestrial]
    [All Channels]
    [Digital Terrestrial]
    From the names listed, it looks as though you selected the "Create digital terrestrial group" setting when you scanned for channels in "TV Server Config". I don't bother with that, as you always get an "All Channels" group. If you have only DVB-T/T2 tuners, there is no point in having a separate "Digital Terrestrial"group. That setting is useful if you also have a satellite tuner (DVB-S/S2) or a cable tuner (DVB-C).

In the screen shots below, the "Channels" tab is simply a list of everything that TV Server found during the scan; the "Channels" tab is not a group. The tabs to the right show the channel groups. The default "All Channels" group includes only those channels that you have selected on the "Channels" tab. I have created two additional groups that contain a subset of "All Channels", namely "Film Channels" and "News Channels". For radio, I have also created two additional groups -- "BBC Radio" and "Independent Radio".

(a)_tv_groups.jpg (b)_radio_groups.jpg

When you click the left-most box-button in the EPG, you see the group-selection popup that lists the TV channel groups and the radio channel groups. The one quirk is that there are two groups called "All Channels". However, one should be the TV all-channels group, and the other should be the radio all-channels group. I tried changing the name of the "All Channels" group in "TV Server Config", but the action is greyed-out for the "All Channels" group, so I guess that means that its name cannot be changed. The second screen shot below shows the EPG for the BBC radio group, and the third screen shot shows the radio-playing screen:

(c)_tv_epg_groups_popup.jpg (d)_radio_epg_bbc_group.jpg (e)_bbc_radio_playing.jpg

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Nice you give MP2 a try (y)

The one quirk is that there are two groups called "All Channels". However, one should be the TV all-channels group, and the other should be the radio all-channels group. I tried changing the name of the "All Channels" group in "TV Server Config", but the action is greyed-out for the "All Channels" group, so I guess that means that its name cannot be changed.
    Oh, I was not aware of it. But checking my screenshot I saw the same :eek:
    I guess this will be only solved when the guides are completely separately for TV and Radio.

groovybaby

Portal Pro
    December 3, 2017
    Home Country
    Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
    Many thanks for that but I just realised I did not make that question completely clear, I was asking about BBC2 in the Iplayer Live section of Online Videos not the desktop Iplayer app. Very sorry but please can you confirm your answer was BBC2 Live in Online Videos?

OK so:
    Online Videos < BBC iPlayer < Live TV (eg: at the very bottom of the list)
    None of the BBC Channels listed worked for me.

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Many thanks for that you just confirmed my findings when I tried to watch the 10 o clock News on BBC1 this evening, looks like all BBC Live has gone the same way as BBC2, honestly they were working last night and earlier today.(n):cry::cry::cry:

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Yes same here that is a bug!
    I'm aware of it. Currently the MP2 skin engine does not allow auto scaling according to available space yet.
    I tried once to implement a xaml based solution, but it was not possible. However it's long time ago and I might have another idea with a fresh mind, so I'll take another look into it.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    @groovybaby : If you previously recorded radio when you used WMC, you might be interested in the statistics shown below. The approximate file size for a 30-minute recording from "BBC Radio 4" is:
    • WTV file (Windows 7 WMC): 750MB
    • DVR-MS file (Vista WMC): 250MB
    • TS file (MP1 or MP2): 50MB
    All three file types record exactly the same data, so it is not the case that the sound from the TS file is inferior to the sound from the WTV file.

I think that the difference in size between a TS file and a DVR-MS file is because the DVR-MS file contains an empty video datastream, which consumes space even though it is empty. You can notice the difference using MP1, because jump-forward and jump-backward are possible while playing a DVR-MS radio recording, but not possible while playing a TS radio recording. MP1 supports fast-forward and fast-rewind for both file types. (I don't know what support MP2 offers in this area.)

I think that the difference in size between a WTV file and a DVR-MS file is because the WTV file encrypts the content in order to support digital-rights-managment (DRM), which was required by US cable TV providers in order to allow WMC to record cable TV channels.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I'm aware of it. Currently the MP2 skin engine does not allow auto scaling according to available space yet.
    I tried once to implement a xaml based solution, but it was not possible. However it's long time ago and I might have another idea with a fresh mind, so I'll take another look into it.
    Fixed for all skins and inplemented into WiP2.4 branch. The font size is now smootly scaling with the height of the cells.
    • [MP2-867] Dynamic font scaling for EPG programs in relation to number of rows @ge2301 DONE

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Install Help Please: RSVP

OK: I've finally repaired my previous mobo, and I've now got a working W10 64bit PC, dedicated for my new HTPC.

Now I've read the pages that tell me what to do to prepare my PC, and those that keep telling me how easy it is to install, (eg: Installing MediaPortal + Installer - Deploy Tool etc)
    but they seem to go round & round incircles, without giving any exact install info.

So I've downloaded: MediaPortal 2 / 2.3 Release
    Not sure if this is the best but I have to start somewhere or I'll never start!

Then I unzipped the file I've just downloaded, eg: MediaPortal2_2.3.zip
    ...which contains these 2 files: MP2-Setup.exe / MP2-Setup-Logging.bat

Then I double clicked its .exe file: MP2-setup.exe
    This installed something, and resulted in these 5 icons on my desktop, eg:
    MediaPortal 2
    MediaPortal 2 (x64)
    MediaPortal 2 TV Configuration
    MediaPortal 2 ServiceMonitor
    MediaPortal 2 LogCollector

So what do I do now?
    During the above install, I was expecting to see the options mentioned on the above info page, eg: Installer - Deploy Tool

I wish to install a stand-alone system capable of everything. eg, TV etc, including remote.

Many thanks.
    If you are still on version 2.3, you should update to the latest version 2.3.2. There are many bug fixed and improvements.

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    In the screen shots below, the "Channels" tab is simply a list of everything that TV Server found during the scan; the "Channels" tab is not a group. The tabs to the right show the channel groups. The default "All Channels" group includes only those channels that you have selected on the "Channels" tab. I have created two additional groups that contain a subset of "All Channels", namely "Film Channels" and "News Channels". For radio, I have also created two additional groups -- "BBC Radio" and "Independent Radio".
    I found an easy solution for the double "all channels" entries. There is a tv option "hide "all channels", so if own groups are created, only those are shown
    1616325992405.png

Brownard

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 21, 2007
    Home Country
    OK so:
    Online Videos < BBC iPlayer < Live TV (eg: at the very bottom of the list)
    I have fixed these as of yesterday, you might need to pull the latest updates to get the fix. On the site selection screen, select Manage Sites from the side menu, then on that screen, select Automatic Update from the side menu.

EDIT: Above update instructions are for MP1, for MP2 go to Settings->Plugins->OnlineVideos->Manage Sites->Automatic Update

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom