AIM support (1 Viewer)

A

Anonymous

It seems like Aim is the most commonly used IM software in the US, and MSN is more mainstream in canada. Will there be any support for aim within the MP? I'd like to see it.

A

Anonymous

favian said:
It seems like Aim is the most commonly used IM software in the US, and MSN is more mainstream in canada. Will there be any support for aim within the MP? I'd like to see it.

Noooo!!!!!!!! Anything but AIM!!!!! No more AOL CD's.. PLEASE!!!!

Sorry... just another former AOL employee having flashbacks.

MrMario64

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    frodo won't make AIM.
    MSN is the network of choice and will remain so.

A

Anonymous

MrMario64 said:
    frodo won't make AIM.
    MSN is the network of choice and will remain so.

why? easier to port?

i dont know a single person in my college campus or in the NJ/NY area that uses msn messenger.

would anyone else be up to the task?

A

Anonymous

I think the msn code is part of Microsofts .net development examples if I'm not mistaken. Implementing it really means just interfacing the code to the htpc app. (I may be mistaken here)
    AIM on the other hand has no available source code, and they even go so far as to change their standard from time to time specifically to bump off third party clients. Maybe a programmer might check out gaim http://gaim.sourceforge.net and see if they want to implement a multi client messeneger from that code base.

A

Anonymous

Meat_PoPsiclez said:
    I think the msn code is part of Microsofts .net development examples if I'm not mistaken. Implementing it really means just interfacing the code to the htpc app. (I may be mistaken here)
    AIM on the other hand has no available source code, and they even go so far as to change their standard from time to time specifically to bump off third party clients. Maybe a programmer might check out gaim http://gaim.sourceforge.net and see if they want to implement a multi client messeneger from that code base.

strange, how does trillian work then?
    wouldnt they need the source code to access the aim network?

chipx86

December 8, 2004
    Meat_PoPsiclez said:

Hi there.

I'm one of the Gaim developers, and have been using Media Portal program ever since I saw it on Slashdot not long ago. First of all, I've got to say that I love this program. I picked up a nice little Vaio for cheap from a guy at work and thought I was stuck with the horrible little Giga Pocket software.

Anyhow, I've developed portions of Gaim so that it would be more or less trivial to do this kind of stuff. I don't have time right now to hack on this at all, but I've considered setting up a small client/server to pass presence information (who's online, their state, etc.) and whether or not you have new messages back and forth between a Linux or Windows box running Gaim and a Windows box running Media Portal. *Maybe* if I get some time and the desire, I'll do it. Otherwise, anybody who wants to set up a perl script or something could also interface the two. It just depends on whether or not you want an instance of gaim running full-time on your media portal box or not. :)

A

Anonymous

trillian works the exact same way as gaim.. they write their own from the ground up. It's a viable solution for a huge dev team, but when the powers that be decide to change the protocol things break quite easily. For example, in 5 years span icq went through 3 completely different communications standards.
    In any case, there are a handfull of opensource programs (like gaim) that would work great as a backbone, but keeping the code as similiar as possible to the original is essential unless you want to get caught with your pants around your ankles when things change.

A

Anonymous

I really dont understand the need for a media app to support
    any chat program at all.
    Including MSN messenger plugin thats already been developed. (Waste of time).

I mean are you going to chat with the remote ? Doubt it..
    Seems to me this feature is for desktop users only, even then
    it doesnt make sense.

Dst

Users who are viewing this thread