aMPdroid 1.0 - Preview Release (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayuk20

Portal Member
February 26, 2012
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Really great version on SGS2. Had a few force closes when trying to manually it up but all works ok now.

jayuk20

Portal Member
February 26, 2012
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
One thing I have noticed is that it's a bit laggy at times. I can be scrolling through stuff and my phone locks up but then unfreezes

DieBagger

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 11, 2007
    Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria

Sander-SP

Portal Member
    January 29, 2008
    The new version is working great on a HTC HD2 running Gingerbread, a Desire Z with unknown android version and a cheap Qware tablet with ICS. The only thing not working is seeking within a video.

ferzal

Portal Member
    December 5, 2009
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Feedback on this release (not complaining) - flawless experience on Samsung Galaxy S2 with Android 2.3.6, currently using the Resurrection Remix ics v9.6 Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.3 rom, works only with an external player, eg. DicePlayer or Vplayer. Hoping the internal player will work fine once the official Samsung Galaxy S2 ICS is released to the public.

Haven't tried this version yet but probably bad news. The other ampdroid doesn't work with ICS either on the official Samsung S2 ICS release. Hopefully the upcoming release of ampdroid will address that as hinted above though.

DieBagger

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 11, 2007
    Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Feedback on this release (not complaining) - flawless experience on Samsung Galaxy S2 with Android 2.3.6, currently using the Resurrection Remix ics v9.6 Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.3 rom, works only with an external player, eg. DicePlayer or Vplayer. Hoping the internal player will work fine once the official Samsung Galaxy S2 ICS is released to the public.

Haven't tried this version yet but probably bad news. The other ampdroid doesn't work with ICS either on the official Samsung S2 ICS release. Hopefully the upcoming release of ampdroid will address that as hinted above though.
    It works on my dhd with a 4.0 build... The internal video playback is one of the areas where I sometimes wish for an iOS device... ;) Anyways, official release is only a few days out, just sent out a (probably) final testversion to the testgroup...

Sekera

March 5, 2012
    Home Country
    Czech Republic Czech Republic
    Hello DieBagger, the video and music streaming is great, but would it be possible to involve the direct play also? Files are often on some network storage where the device with AMPdroid has also an access. If I understand it well than the MPextend reads the video/music file and generates the stream. It would be much efficient for such configuration if aMPdroid only redirects the link of the original file to the player. It would reduce the workload of the streaming server and eliminate the “resampling” of the original file (what obviously has an impact to the video/music quality).

DieBagger

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 11, 2007
    Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Hello DieBagger, the video and music streaming is great, but would it be possible to involve the direct play also? Files are often on some network storage where the device with AMPdroid has also an access. If I understand it well than the MPextend reads the video/music file and generates the stream. It would be much efficient for such configuration if aMPdroid only redirects the link of the original file to the player. It would reduce the workload of the streaming server and eliminate the “resampling” of the original file (what obviously has an impact to the video/music quality).

There are two problems with your idea
    a) Android doesn't natively support smb (file shares)
    b) the internal video player only supports streaming over http with a very limited range of codec/file format combinations. You can read more about it here: http://developer.android.com/guide/appendix/media-formats.html.

So you can't just play \\someshare\video.avi on your Android device like you could on your windows pc. Just trust me on that one, streaming video to android is much more complicated then you'd think it would be.

That being said, we ARE working on ways to improve streaming further and that includes:
    - server being able to "outsource" transcoding to other machines
    - Supporting direct streaming (no transcoding, remuxing if neccessary) on files that have the right format
    - some more ideas floating around in our heads

Btw, music streaming isn't supported at all right now (on ampdroid), not sure what you mean there...

Sekera

March 5, 2012
    Home Country
    Czech Republic Czech Republic

There are two problems with your idea
    a) Android doesn't natively support smb (file shares)
    b) the internal video player only supports streaming over http with a very limited range of codec/file format combinations. You can read more about it here: http://developer.android.com/guide/appendix/media-formats.html.

So you can't just play \\someshare\video.avi on your Android device like you could on your windows pc. Just trust me on that one, streaming video to android is much more complicated then you'd think it would be.

That being said, we ARE working on ways to improve streaming further and that includes:
    - server being able to "outsource" transcoding to other machines
    - Supporting direct streaming (no transcoding, remuxing if neccessary) on files that have the right format
    - some more ideas floating around in our heads

Btw, music streaming isn't supported at all right now (on ampdroid), not sure what you mean there...

I trust you. If I use some external file manager (File Manager HD, ES File Explorer) and external player (DicePlayer, MX Video Player) then I can play almost any video file on my NAS (much more formats than in Android Supported Media Formats list). So it seems to user that it is possible to play \\someshare\video.avi. I even don’t know if I am not mixing terms and this is still the “streaming”. AMdroid can also use the external player so I thought that it is feasible. If I understand it well then you would have to implement your own SMB.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom