aMPdroid 1.0 - Preview Release (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DieBagger

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 11, 2007
    Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Hello DieBagger, the video and music streaming is great, but would it be possible to involve the direct play also? Files are often on some network storage where the device with AMPdroid has also an access. If I understand it well than the MPextend reads the video/music file and generates the stream. It would be much efficient for such configuration if aMPdroid only redirects the link of the original file to the player. It would reduce the workload of the streaming server and eliminate the “resampling” of the original file (what obviously has an impact to the video/music quality).

There are two problems with your idea
    a) Android doesn't natively support smb (file shares)
    b) the internal video player only supports streaming over http with a very limited range of codec/file format combinations. You can read more about it here: http://developer.android.com/guide/appendix/media-formats.html.

So you can't just play \\someshare\video.avi on your Android device like you could on your windows pc. Just trust me on that one, streaming video to android is much more complicated then you'd think it would be.

That being said, we ARE working on ways to improve streaming further and that includes:
    - server being able to "outsource" transcoding to other machines
    - Supporting direct streaming (no transcoding, remuxing if neccessary) on files that have the right format
    - some more ideas floating around in our heads

Btw, music streaming isn't supported at all right now (on ampdroid), not sure what you mean there...

I trust you. If I use some external file manager (File Manager HD, ES File Explorer) and external player (DicePlayer, MX Video Player) then I can play almost any video file on my NAS (much more formats than in Android Supported Media Formats list). So it seems to user that it is possible to play \\someshare\video.avi. I even don’t know if I am not mixing terms and this is still the “streaming”. AMdroid can also use the external player so I thought that it is feasible. If I understand it well then you would have to implement your own SMB.
    Yeah kinda, I had a look at what ES Explorer is doing, they're opening a local proxy which they then forward to the smb file... I'm not gonna start to implement direct smb access because a) out of the ampdroid scope and b) makes it very confusing for users... However we will try to improve the "direct" streaming (which is very light on the server cpu because it's just file access/copy).

ferzal

Portal Member
    December 5, 2009
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Adding samba wouldn't make sense when there's already mpextended backend. It's a lot of extra trouble for nothing. SMB is just another method (with more overheads for android) of getting the file. The "magic" in making some of those files stream via File Expert etc isn't in the SMB. It's in the way they trick android into thinking the file is local. And it still doesn't always work. Those same methods could be implemented with ampdroid without the need for SMB.

And you'll always need the mediaportal-based backend if you want access your files in a way that makes sense - and especially if you want to stream live TV.

Sekera

March 5, 2012
    Home Country
    Czech Republic Czech Republic
    There are two problems with your idea
    a) Android doesn't natively support smb (file shares)
    b) the internal video player only supports streaming over http with a very limited range of codec/file format combinations. You can read more about it here: http://developer.android.com/guide/appendix/media-formats.html.

So you can't just play \\someshare\video.avi on your Android device like you could on your windows pc. Just trust me on that one, streaming video to android is much more complicated then you'd think it would be.

That being said, we ARE working on ways to improve streaming further and that includes:
    - server being able to "outsource" transcoding to other machines
    - Supporting direct streaming (no transcoding, remuxing if neccessary) on files that have the right format
    - some more ideas floating around in our heads

Btw, music streaming isn't supported at all right now (on ampdroid), not sure what you mean there...

I trust you. If I use some external file manager (File Manager HD, ES File Explorer) and external player (DicePlayer, MX Video Player) then I can play almost any video file on my NAS (much more formats than in Android Supported Media Formats list). So it seems to user that it is possible to play \\someshare\video.avi. I even don’t know if I am not mixing terms and this is still the “streaming”. AMdroid can also use the external player so I thought that it is feasible. If I understand it well then you would have to implement your own SMB.
    Yeah kinda, I had a look at what ES Explorer is doing, they're opening a local proxy which they then forward to the smb file... I'm not gonna start to implement direct smb access because a) out of the ampdroid scope and b) makes it very confusing for users... However we will try to improve the "direct" streaming (which is very light on the server cpu because it's just file access/copy).
    Thanks for your replies and explanation.

mrmojo666

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 24, 2006
    Turin
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Hello!

yesterday i got my first ICS chinatablet. at first start ampdroid 1.0 went almost perfect (expcet the usual mixing of channel in the epg) like on my desire phone (2.3.7).
    But after that first time, now when i go on tv section and try to open epg, channels manual...etc ampdroid stop working with the usual pop up alert message. even i tried to uninstall/reinstall many times nothing changed, the question is: why could i at the first start watch tv perfectly ? Is this an known issue with ics ?
    There is a chance to get a more stable 1.0 version to test ?

DieBagger

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 11, 2007
    Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Hello!

yesterday i got my first ICS chinatablet. at first start ampdroid 1.0 went almost perfect (expcet the usual mixing of channel in the epg) like on my desire phone (2.3.7).
    But after that first time, now when i go on tv section and try to open epg, channels manual...etc ampdroid stop working with the usual pop up alert message. even i tried to uninstall/reinstall many times nothing changed, the question is: why could i at the first start watch tv perfectly ? Is this an known issue with ics ?
    There is a chance to get a more stable 1.0 version to test ?
    It's a matter of days until the final version is released...

mrmojo666

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 24, 2006
    Turin
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Thank you very much for your work, i'm looking forward for ics working version :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom