an old maddening problem -- that's holding me back from upgrading (1 Viewer)

cewillis

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 27, 2010
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I have a maddening problem that dates back to Sept 2010, just after I started using MP.
    The problem was roughly described in https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/possible-info-on-freeze-problem.86625/ and http://mantis.team-mediaportal.com/view.php?id=3033, but never resolved.
    A more concise description is below.
    I would really appreciate it if someone knowledgeable could tell me if the problem is fixed (for sure!) in a later version of MP. If so, I will happily upgrade; if not, I see no reason to do so.
    Changing OS is not an option: I started with MP explicitly because it is supported on WXp.

Description:
    My HTPC is set to automatically reboot every morning at 5:00 am, after which it runs a script to repair the database if necessary, and downloads EPG data for import by the XmlTV plugin.
    PowerScheduler is set to put the machine in S3 standby after 5 minutes of no activity.
    I have never used ffdshow, and I am using local loopback as described in MSLoopback Device for Singleseat users. I have installed all MS recommended updates (as of several months ago), despite the MP log saying 'Updates: NEVER'.
    The problem usually occurs when I manually bring the computer out of S3 standby using the remote, and attempt to watch a prerecorded TV show. Rarely, it occurs after watching one show, and attempting to watch another.
    Then -
    1) time display stops incrementing, and the display is frozen, no remote keys work, except ---
    2) pressing STOP on the remote causes the time display to go to the correct time (ie, it jumps ahead), and MP is back in business
    3) all operations are again working, except trying to play any recording puts MP back to 1)
    4) the only way I've found to get out of this cycle is reboot.
    5) Sometimes if I wait long enough at 1), I get the Windows error message: 'Mediaportal has encountered a problem and needs to close'.

I suspect that the problem is not there after a fresh MP install, but starts to occur after a while.
    From many years of using WXp on multiple computers, I am as sure as is possible that this is NOT a problem with WXp standby/resume, but rather a problem with how some MP component, or referenced external software, responds thereto.

2 sets of debug logs obtained at step 2 above are attached. (Use Task Manager to stop MP and Tv, and save logs).
    The problem happens about 1/3 - 1/2 of the times I try to watch a recording. It can be first time in the morning, late in the evening, or any time in between.

Thanks.

Attachments

• mp21712.zip
      12.7 KB
    • tv21712.zip
      2.8 KB
    • MP21112.zip
      3.7 KB
    • TV21112.zip
      279 bytes

JDWestoby

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 9, 2008
    Poltimore, Devon
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Small suggestion, I did a complete reinstall of MP (well, several tiems actually but that's another story).

Once you've got it to some stage of functionality - do a COMPLETE HDD backup (my 1TB disk is split to 32GB for the System, the rest is separate for Data/temp/Page etc.)

if you add/change something, once it is working take another backup and so on.

cewillis

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 27, 2010
    Home Country
    Well, after doing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING in the way of fixing or even changing my installation, it suddenly went for over 2 weeks without the problem (or any other problem), then last night -- it's back!
    This is really disgusting.

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    Well, after doing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING in the way of fixing or even changing my installation, it suddenly went for over 2 weeks without the problem (or any other problem), then last night -- it's back!
    This is really disgusting.

You can have a startup delay for MP and for the TV service. I would try both.

It might be 'disgusting' but since the team has limited resources, this will probably wait until someone has a clue about what might be causing it. It could very easily be driver related.

Mark

cewillis

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 27, 2010
    Home Country
    MP has 'wait until TVserver starts', which is set.
    It also has a delay on startup and resume, which is set to 1 second. I don't think it's possible that I have ever tried to start a playback within 1 second of resume.
    TVserver has a delay until cards are detected. This is set to 1 second -- but should have nothing to do with playback.
    Do you have better suggestions?

'driver related' -- what driver? Do you mean the tuner card driver? Again, should have nothing to do with playback, but there are no problems with recording.

'clue about what might be causing it' -- thus the two sets of logs attached above.

And why the seemingly random nature of this failure?

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    MP has 'wait until TVserver starts', which is set.
    It also has a delay on startup and resume, which is set to 1 second. I don't think it's possible that I have ever tried to start a playback within 1 second of resume.
    TVserver has a delay until cards are detected. This is set to 1 second -- but should have nothing to do with playback.

Well, if the TV cards are not initialised quickly enough then 1 second could be a problem. I understand that you are trying to play recorded TV, but if the TV service has a problem because the cards are not initialised, who can say what will happen.

Do you have better suggestions?

Not until you have ruled out my first suggestion, no.

Try setting the delay until the cards are detected to 10 seconds. If this doesn't help, at least we will have ruled this out.

This is a simple process of elimination.

'clue about what might be causing it' -- thus the two sets of logs attached above.

which don't give me any clues at all.

And why the seemingly random nature of this failure?

Again, I have no idea. However at least I have made a suggestion, even if you are so certain that it won't help that you don't even try it.

Mark

cewillis

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 27, 2010
    Home Country
    "Do you have better suggestions?" I MEANT, do you have better suggestions than the delays I'm using!
    "Not until you have ruled out my first suggestion, no. "(therefore this is inappropriate)

"Try setting the delay until the cards are detected to 10 seconds." A better suggestion. I'll try it , but again ----

" "thus the two sets of logs attached above." which don't give me any clues at all."
    You mean the logs are useless? Why? Done incorrectly? Or detail logs don't contain enough info?

SpudR

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 27, 2007
    Yorkshire, UK
    Home Country
    England England
    Although I understand your frustration, you really need to try to post in a less aggressive way. Mark is only trying to help you...

Please check the version of your Atapi.sys, it needs to be => 5.1.2600.55 87,168 - before this there were issues with S3 on resume (IDE disk driver does not check the busy bit in the drive status before it resets the drive resulting in things getting seriously messed up!).
    I also believe that there was some weirdness with USB things and S3 on XP - might want to check that out too...

Because Windows update seems to be not reporting correctly I would suspect that there is something wrong with your Windows install. Is it a full install of have you removed stuff?

In the longer term you might want to upgrade to Win7 as a minimum - MP2 will not be supported on anything less...

***If you respond aggressively it's unlikely you will get any help! Please try to be calm :)

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    " "thus the two sets of logs attached above." which don't give me any clues at all."
    You mean the logs are useless? Why? Done incorrectly? Or detail logs don't contain enough info?

I meant simply that I personally cannot see anything in them that helps me work out what is going wrong. Someone else may be able to spot something.

It's not my fault that MediaPortal isn't working on your system. Please remember that this isn't my job and I don't get paid for trying to help.

Resuming from sleep mode can be a challenge. On one of my own PCs, every so often when I resume from sleep, one of my hard disks is not present. Therefore, I run my server 24x7 rather than battling with sleep mode. It's a personal choice to get the best out of MP.

The same can apply to TV cards, etc.

cewillis

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 27, 2010
    Home Country

I meant simply that I personally cannot see anything in them that helps me work out what is going wrong. Someone else may be able to spot something.

Is there any chance that mm1352000, or one of the other developers could look at the logs to see if they show anything?
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/members/mm1352000.82144/

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom