an old maddening problem -- that's holding me back from upgrading | Page 3

Discussion in 'General Support' started by cewillis, February 19, 2012.

1. elliottmc
    • Premium Supporter

elliottmc Retired Team Member

Ratings:
    +5,503 / 13
    Home Country:
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Show System Specs
    I guess you could contact the relevant people to ask if they are still having the same problems. I was one of these, and I fixed it as described above.

Out of interest, why do you absolutely NEED to stick with XP? You will get a much better experience with Windows 7.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. elliottmc
    • Premium Supporter

Ratings:
    +5,503 / 13
    Home Country:
    Show System Specs
    Looking at your TsReader.log, you have

Code (Text):
    2. 17-02-2012 12:19:13.531 [e60]  MPEG I-FRAME found 1.525000
    3. 17-02-2012 12:19:13.531 [e60]  MPEG First '0' frame found. 1.525000
    4. 17-02-2012 12:20:03.312 [e60]vid:fillbuffer exception
    5. 17-02-2012 12:20:03.390 [e60]Video Continuity error... d ( prev f )
    I don't know whether this exception is a problem or not.

MediaPortal.log has

Code (Text):
    2. 2012-02-17 12:19:13.468750 [Info.][MPMain(1)]: VMR9: added Video Mixing Renderer 9 to graph
    3. 2012-02-17 12:19:13.468750 [Debug][MPMain(1)]: VMR9: SetDeinterlacePrefs()
    4. 2012-02-17 12:19:13.468750 [Debug][MPMain(1)]: VMR9: Enabled YUV mixing - No DX Error
    5. 2012-02-17 12:19:13.468750 [Debug][MPMain(1)]: VRM9: Turning on nonsquare mixing - No DX Error
    6. 2012-02-17 12:19:13.468750 [Debug][MPMain(1)]: VRM9: Set filter mode - Gaussian Quad Filtering No DX Error
    7. 2012-02-17 12:19:13.468750 [Debug][MPMain(1)]: VMR9: Now active
    8. 2012-02-17 12:19:13.468750 [Debug][MPMain(1)]: VMR9: Renderer successfully added
    9. 2012-02-17 12:19:13.484375 [Info.][MPMain(1)]: Added filter: MPC - MPEG-2 Video Decoder (Gabest) to graph
    10. 2012-02-17 12:19:13.484375 [Info.][MPMain(1)]: Added filter: MPC - MPA Decoder Filter to graph
    11. 2012-02-17 12:19:13.484375 [Info.][MPMain(1)]: TSReaderPlayer: Render TsReader outputs
    Are you using post-processing filters? I would try disabling these if you are.

Finally, I would try installing the LAV filters. These will basically play anything and seem much better (to me).

Have you got MP set to restart on resume? Your logs are incomplete (do not contain MediaPortal.xml) so I cannot tell. The logs would suggest not. Also, I would definitely try increasing the delay on startup to 5 seconds.

Ultimately, we have seen many reports of problems over the years, and chances are if only one person reports a problem, it is a configuration problem with their system. If a small number of people report a problem, then it may be down to common hardware. In order for us to determine if there is a problem, we have to have something to go on.

First of all, we would need this to be reproducible with a clean install of MP with no 3rd party plugins or skins. If it isn't reproducible under these conditions, then clearly it is something that happens in time. This would suggest a corrupted file somewhere. Then we have to work out what got corrupted, when and why.

• Like Like x 1
  4. cewillis
    • Premium Supporter

cewillis MP Donator

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Home Country:
    United States of America United States of America
    Show System Specs
    I don't NEED to: I choose to. I strongly disagree that W7 is a 'better experience'. It's just MS deciding more of what users should see and do.
    If MP doesn't 'really' work on WXp -- SO STATE, instead of advertising that it does.

5. cewillis
    • Premium Supporter

cewillis MP Donator

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Home Country:
    Show System Specs
    This had no effect, as I kind of expected; same problem occurred last evening.

6. elliottmc
    • Premium Supporter

Ratings:
    +5,503 / 13
    Home Country:
    Show System Specs
    Well, for most people it does.

WinXP is 11 years old. It was replaced 6 years ago, and its replacement was then replaced 3 years ago. No matter what we do, it is going to be hard to keep modern software running on an old OS.

Part of the problem here is that you are not posting full logs. For example, we don't have MediaPortal.xml, so that while we can see the log, we don't know what is going on in your configuration that might cause the things to happen. It may simply be that you have something selected right by a box that says "don't use this on XP". The log collector (MediaPortal Debug Mode) is there for a reason - it tells us the things we need to know.

I have done my level best to try to help you, but I feel that for the sake of my sanity I have to give up. Sorry.

Mark

7. SpudR
    • Team MediaPortal

SpudR Documentation Group

CTO, MD
    Ratings:
    +683 / 2
    Home Country:
    England England
    Show System Specs
    I was running this on Xp up until a few months ago without these issues - and I know that there are many users still doing the same.

MP DOES work on XP - you have either a hardware problem OR something in the config that is causing this.

Despite what you seem to believe MS needs to keep up with technology and trends - NOBODY will continue with ANY software without updating it, beyond a certain point else we'd all still be using DOS. If you want to keep it old school then you take the risk.

• Like Like x 1
  8. cewillis
    • Premium Supporter

cewillis MP Donator

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Home Country:
    Show System Specs
    Sorry for the delay -- . My version is 5.1.26.5512, size 96,512. This is in window/system32/drivers and also in .../servicepackfiles/.
    I should know this, but does this driver also apply to sata drives? (my hd and dvd are sata)

9. cewillis
    • Premium Supporter

cewillis MP Donator

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Home Country:
    Show System Specs
    And MP mostly works for me, and is better than anything else I've looked at -- which is why I'm still trying.
    I discovered (and posted) in another thread from long ago and far away that Debug mode used simultaneously with some other (now forgotten) standard setting causes an immediate fatal exception when MP tries to start. Thus I couldn't use debug mode to provide info on that problem. But I will post MediaPortal.xml.
    Thanks for trying, and it's fine to give up. Let's see what miroslav22 comes up with.

10. SpudR
    • Team MediaPortal

SpudR Documentation Group

CTO, MD
    Ratings:
    +683 / 2
    Home Country:
    England England
    Show System Specs
    Yes - ATAPI.sys for SATA and IDE etc...
    The version number looks a little off - SP3 should give you 5.1.2600.5512 - typo?
    I'd run a rootkit scan, there might be something there...
    I'd also use the Eset Online Scanner just to be safe.

Once you've come out clean - try running an SFC /PurgeCache then SFC /Scannow - reinstall SP3
    Grab and run CCleaner from Piriform to clean out the rubbish too...
    See where that gets you

11. cewillis
    • Premium Supporter

cewillis MP Donator

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Home Country:
    Show System Specs
    Yes -- 2600 (maybe trying to save ink when I wrote it down ---)
    I assume-
    Eset Online Scanner IS a rootkit scanner .
    SFC/... are command lines, just as you typed them .

btw, another of the all time great quotes (which often applied in my CS career):
    "Things should be made as simple as possible; but not simplier." Albert Einstein

In my most humble opinion, MP has drifted a little from that plan. (or in other words, every developer has his own pet functionality).

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!