an old maddening problem -- that's holding me back from upgrading (1 Viewer)

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    " "thus the two sets of logs attached above." which don't give me any clues at all."
    You mean the logs are useless? Why? Done incorrectly? Or detail logs don't contain enough info?

I meant simply that I personally cannot see anything in them that helps me work out what is going wrong. Someone else may be able to spot something.

Is there any chance that mm1352000, or one of the other developers could look at the logs to see if they show anything?

mm1352000 is extremely busy with real life at the moment.

Did we ever establish what brand of modem/router you are using?

cewillis

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 27, 2010
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Please check the version of your Atapi.sys, it needs to be => 5.1.2600.55 87,168 -
    What exactly is this version number? 5.1.2.55 (and something else), or what? I don't know what the '87,168' is.

I also believe that there was some weirdness with USB things and S3 on XP - might want to check that out too...
    From first post: "From many years of using WXp on multiple computers, I am as sure as is possible that this is NOT a problem with WXp standby/resume, but rather a problem with how some MP component, or referenced external software, responds thereto."
    I have never had a problem with S3 on WXp -- other than this (possibly).

Because Windows update seems to be not reporting correctly I would suspect that there is something wrong with your Windows install. Is it a full install of have you removed stuff?
    Full install of WXp with SP3 plus all recommended 'upgrades'. (as of a few month ago)

In the longer term you might want to upgrade to Win7 as a minimum - MP2 will not be supported on anything less...
    From first post "Changing OS is not an option: I started with MP explicitly because it is supported on WXp."[/quote]

SpudR

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 27, 2007
    Yorkshire, UK
    Home Country
    England England
    I have a single seat install and don't use the loop back thingy - I hae no issue losing connection with the TV server.
    Try removing it for a bit...

That version number was 5.1.2600.55 and the file is 87,168k in size - my fault, though in my defense it was late!
    do you access to another XP machine to check...

Just out of curiosity, have you any anti-virus software on the PC?

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    Did we ever establish what brand of modem/router you are using?

From first post "I am using local loopback as described in MSLoopback Device for Singleseat users."
    There is absolutely no problem with my Cisco/Linksys router, or Motorola Surfboard cable modem.

Well, it's maybe a coincidence, but the modem/router that I saw the same problem with was also a linksys. Since I got rid of it and bought a netgear one, I have not had any problems.

My gut feeling, and it is only a gut feeling, is that the built-in firewall on the linksys router was a bit flaky. I have no hard evidence to support this but....

1. Have netgear modem/router (100 Mbps) - a little slow, but no problems at all.

2. Buy gigabit linksys router - intermittent problems start with MP, even though everything else seems fine.

3. Buy netgear gigabit router - problems disappear.

So, how can you be so certain that there is no problem with your router? Maybe there is a MP bug that only manifests itself with a linksys router, or maybe there is a problem with the router.

I am not saying that this is the cause. Just that it's a real coincidence that we have both seen the same problem with the same router brand. I would not be so quick to dismiss it.

Mark

cewillis

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 27, 2010
    Home Country
    But Mark, MP is not using the router. (your experience is probably why I changed to local loopback)

And SpudR, I had the same problem without the loopback, as per Mark.
    btw, I don't believe I ever implied that I was losing connection with TVserver. The opposite, in fact; and as I understand it, TVserver has nothing to do with playback.

Also, no anti-virus software on any of the 5 machines (including the MP HTPC) on my local network. But very strong anti-hack settings in my router, and other appropriate measures == no virus in more than 25 years.

Tp repeat a point, my guess is that "this is NOT a problem with WXp standby/resume, but rather a problem with how some MP component, or referenced external software, responds thereto."

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    Well, I am all out of ideas. It seems that you are the only person having this problem, unless you can find more. At least I don't see anyone else reporting the same.

So your computer is not on the network and has absolutely no access to the router at all?

miroslav22

Development Group Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 4, 2009
    Warwick
    Home Country
    I rebuilt my htpc over the weekend and now I'm seeing this issue with 1.2.2 on windows 7. I've disabled standby for now until I find the cause. I'll keep you updated on this thread :)

cewillis

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 27, 2010
    Home Country
    I rebuilt my htpc over the weekend and now I'm seeing this issue with 1.2.2 on windows 7. I've disabled standby for now until I find the cause. I'll keep you updated on this thread :)
    Thank you very much -- I will absolutely watch.

cewillis

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 27, 2010
    Home Country
    Well, I am all out of ideas. It seems that you are the only person having this problem, unless you can find more. At least I don't see anyone else reporting the same.
    There are/were several other reports of playback problems, which I suspect are all related.
    So your computer is not on the network and has absolutely no access to the router at all?
    Mark, please see this link: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/newcomers-forum-240/msloopback-device-singleseat-users-51028/
    My htpc is accessible on my LAN, but MP does not access the router; it uses local loopback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom