an old maddening problem -- that's holding me back from upgrading (1 Viewer)

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    No, Mark, I'm still on 1.1.0.0.
    My thought, from the first post in this thread is/was 'I would really appreciate it if someone knowledgeable could tell me if the problem is fixed (for sure!) in a later version of MP. If so, I will happily upgrade; if not, I see no reason to do so.'
    Maybe that's too 'inflexible', huh? Since we can't seem to find the problem, how can we know if it's fixed or not.
    But I'm still hoping for something from miroslav22, who said 'I'm seeing this issue with 1.2.2 on windows 7'.
    Also, it's a little unclear to me what's actually involved in upgrading, in view of the disclaimers here: https://www.team-mediaportal.com/extensions/system/backupsettings.

The bottom line is that you are seeing the problem with 1.1.0.

Since we don't really know what is causing the problem for you, NO-ONE is going to be able to say with confidence whether the problem is fixed with 1.2.3. However, since improvements have been made in the areas that are MOST LIKELY to be causing the problem for you, there is a good chance that 1.2.3 will be better for you, and it is at the very least unlikely to be worse.

Ultimately, the only way you are going to find out if 1.2.3 is better is to try it.

There are many reasons to do so, mainly stability and features, including plugin compatibility checks.

To be perfectly honest, if you zip your MediaPortal settings folder (in ProgramData) there is nothing to stop you upgrading. In the time you have spent posting on the forum to help decide whether to upgrade, you could have done it and tried it.

If you are going to upgrade, I would do a clean install. Why ? Because it is possible that there is a problem with your 1.1.0 install that is causing this issue and in that case it could be one file that is not replaced on upgrading.

The bottom line is that (apart from donations) MediaPortal is free. MP 1.2.3 is MUCH better that 1.1.0, so I see no reason for you not to upgrade. Right now, you are prevaricating over whether to upgrade. Whatever happens, 1.2.3 won't be worse than 1.1.0, so just do it!

markcar_2000

Portal Pro
    July 7, 2009
    new york
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Here's an idea make a drive image then upgrade mp to latest if it still does work try win7 if that dont work jump back to the old image all you lose is time
    And stop being so grumpy

cewillis

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 27, 2010
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Why don't you give the 18 seconds, or maybe even 20 seconds thing a shot. Worst case scenario, you are out just a few minutes of time for trying it. And who knows, maybe you'll get lucky!
    -Steve
    I have tried 10 seconds at Mark's suggestion. No effect. I'll try 20 -- but as mentioned, sometimes the problem 'goes away' for awhile, then comes back. It's not happening every day right now.
    Just to confirm - the problem still occurs with a 20 second delay. Now set back to 1 second. Thanks for the suggestion.

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Why not just update to 1.2.3? Can it do any harm?

You don't even know that the problem Miroslav22 is seeing is caused by the same thing that yours is.

Even if the problem is still there, what have you lost? Everything else will work better!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom