an old maddening problem -- that's holding me back from upgrading (1 Viewer)

cewillis

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 27, 2010
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    No, it's a Hauppauge HVR-2250, dual hybrid tuner.
    My problem is not lockup after resume: It's an 'apparent' lockup on trying to playback. But it's not really locked up, because the 'Stop' restores order (until next playback attempt).
    Serious question: what does any tuner card, or detection of same, have to do with playback? Really -- I'm trying to understand this!

hairlesshobo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 18, 2012
    Jacksonville, FL
    Home Country
    My problem is not lockup after resume: It's an 'apparent' lockup on trying to playback. But it's not really locked up, because the 'Stop' restores order (until next playback attempt).
    Serious question: what does any tuner card, or detection of same, have to do with playback? Really -- I'm trying to understand this!

This is a total stab at the dark here, so please be gentle if I am totally off on this one, and someone PLEASE correct me if I am wrong. I believe the playback of recorded TV episodes IS totally dependent on the TV Server. The reason being, since MediaPortal is designed to work in a client/server setup, all clients need to be able to playback episodes form a single TV server. In order to do this without having to manually setup all sharing and mapping the the network environment, all episode data is read in through the TV server application and then fed to the "client" (in this case, the same machine) using RTSP. If the TV server wakes up and is trying to access a hardware capture card that it EXPECTS to be there but the card isn't responding, it could cause threads running on the TV server to slow down to a crawl. I know it's a long shot, but it very well could be possible that a TV card could affect it. (Fortunately for me, some of my ideas that are the craziest long shots actually work lol). Why don't you give the 18 seconds, or maybe even 20 seconds thing a shot. Worst case scenario, you are out just a few minutes of time for trying it. And who knows, maybe you'll get lucky!

-Steve

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom

This is a total stab at the dark here, so please be gentle if I am totally off on this one, and someone PLEASE correct me if I am wrong. I believe the playback of recorded TV episodes IS totally dependent on the TV Server. The reason being, since MediaPortal is designed to work in a client/server setup, all clients need to be able to playback episodes form a single TV server. In order to do this without having to manually setup all sharing and mapping the the network environment, all episode data is read in through the TV server application and then fed to the "client" (in this case, the same machine) using RTSP. If the TV server wakes up and is trying to access a hardware capture card that it EXPECTS to be there but the card isn't responding, it could cause threads running on the TV server to slow down to a crawl. I know it's a long shot, but it very well could be possible that a TV card could affect it. (Fortunately for me, some of my ideas that are the craziest long shots actually work lol). Why don't you give the 18 seconds, or maybe even 20 seconds thing a shot. Worst case scenario, you are out just a few minutes of time for trying it. And who knows, maybe you'll get lucky!

-Steve

A single seat setup does not normally use rtsp to stream live/recorded TV. However, there are advanced (hidden) settings that enable this as a possibility.

cewillis

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 27, 2010
    Home Country
    Why don't you give the 18 seconds, or maybe even 20 seconds thing a shot. Worst case scenario, you are out just a few minutes of time for trying it. And who knows, maybe you'll get lucky!
    -Steve
    I have tried 10 seconds at Mark's suggestion. No effect. I'll try 20 -- but as mentioned, sometimes the problem 'goes away' for awhile, then comes back. It's not happening every day right now.

A single seat setup does not normally use rtsp to stream live/recorded TV. However, there are advanced (hidden) settings that enable this as a possibility.
    So Mark, does this mean in my case that TVserver has nothing to do with playback of previously recorded programs? I couldn't possibly have one of the 'hidden' settings wrong -- could I?

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    So Mark, does this mean in my case that TVserver has nothing to do with playback of previously recorded programs? I couldn't possibly have one of the 'hidden' settings wrong -- could I?

Have a read through this thread and check

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/tvplugin-avoiding-rtsp-in-multiseat-mode-test-plz.36735/

markcar_2000

Portal Pro
    July 7, 2009
    new york
    Home Country
    I might be way out of the park here but if I read this right it only happens when you play back prerecord shows.
    So if you set the shows in a different plugin like Mp-tvseries were it pulls the files off hard drive with out the server involved does it lock up.becouse it sound like your not haveing the lock up when stream live tv olny playback. Of recorded shows

cewillis

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 27, 2010
    Home Country
    Correct -- playback of previously recorded tv shows.
    Per the previous 2 or 3 posts in this thread, I believe we've established that TVserver has nothing to do with this playback. Mp alone is accessing the recording off the disk -- similarly to Wmp. (except Wmp so far hasn't had any problem with playback when MP does)

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    Correct -- playback of previously recorded tv shows.
    Per the previous 2 or 3 posts in this thread, I believe we've established that TVserver has nothing to do with this playback. Mp alone is accessing the recording off the disk -- similarly to Wmp. (except Wmp so far hasn't had any problem with playback when MP does)

Remind me. Have you actually tried 1.2.3 yet? The recordings are .ts (transport stream) files, and they use TsReader. Several improvements to TsReader were included in 1.2.3.

cewillis

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 27, 2010
    Home Country
    No, Mark, I'm still on 1.1.0.0.
    My thought, from the first post in this thread is/was 'I would really appreciate it if someone knowledgeable could tell me if the problem is fixed (for sure!) in a later version of MP. If so, I will happily upgrade; if not, I see no reason to do so.'
    Maybe that's too 'inflexible', huh? Since we can't seem to find the problem, how can we know if it's fixed or not.
    But I'm still hoping for something from miroslav22, who said 'I'm seeing this issue with 1.2.2 on windows 7'.
    Also, it's a little unclear to me what's actually involved in upgrading, in view of the disclaimers here: https://www.team-mediaportal.com/extensions/system/backupsettings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom