Animation slowing down in time (3 Viewers)

CHli

Portal Pro
July 5, 2005
Switzerland
Home Country
Switzerland Switzerland
The interesting thing with me is that this occurs whether I have MP running or not. My machine is on 24/7 but MP isn't. I'll set up a scenario...

It was the same for me... ;)

justinteract

November 8, 2007
Hamburg
Home Country
Germany Germany
I am doing some work related to that currently.
E.g. removing hard coded constants and switch time based refreshes to depend directly on the GUI FPS. The next version will look smoother than before - only time will tell though if it stays smooth for weeks and months...

can somebody confirm if RTVs changes have cured the issue of "MP animation getting slower over time" or not.

tangmonster

Portal Pro
February 1, 2007
cape town
Home Country
South Africa South Africa
Sorry for not responding earlier.

It seems like my issue have been solved ,since version 1.0.1 i have not had ANY menu slow downs ,and the menu was smoother than it's ever been.

His changes has solved my slow down.

Thank you very much RTV!!

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    I can confirm that this has not been corrected with 1.0.2.

We still don't have any proof that it would be MP issue. As restarting MP won't cure the issue it is most likely something outsice MP that causes the bug (also only few users seems to be affected by it).

kkozma

Portal Pro
    February 16, 2009
    Dayton, OH
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I understand where you're coming from, however this only affects Media Portal... I have absolutely zero graphics problems in any other application. Further, this only takes about 2 days to manifest itself on my machine and I have left my machine idle for two days w/o starting media portal and the problem is not present. Perfectly smooth animations for about 2 days and then it the issue re-appears. Whatever this is, is initially caused by Media Portal IMO.

I also do not use any kind of hibernation or sleep modes. So it's possible that whatever causes this is corrected when a PC resumes from sleep or hibernation which might explain why not everyone has the problem.

*EDIT* I just tested a hibernation cycle. I can confirm that hibernation does in fact correct the problem.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    *EDIT* I just tested a hibernation cycle. I can confirm that hibernation does in fact correct the problem.

Hibernation resets state of all drivers, please test with standby(S3) as it is not going to reset drivers completely.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005

Hibernation resets state of all drivers, please test with standby(S3) as it is not going to reset drivers completely.

S3 does not help. We use S3 as normal operation for standby constantly.

Then I would assume it is some OS / driver level issue as driver reset (with S4) seems to help to solve the issue.

bash1979

Portal Member
    August 22, 2008
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I understand where you're coming from, however this only affects Media Portal... I have absolutely zero graphics problems in any other application. Further, this only takes about 2 days to manifest itself on my machine and I have left my machine idle for two days w/o starting media portal and the problem is not present. Perfectly smooth animations for about 2 days and then it the issue re-appears. Whatever this is, is initially caused by Media Portal IMO.

I also do not use any kind of hibernation or sleep modes. So it's possible that whatever causes this is corrected when a PC resumes from sleep or hibernation which might explain why not everyone has the problem.

I'm in the same boat as you....exactly the same situation. No sleep, no hibernation, problem within a day or two. I've went as far as resorting to an automated reboot nightly (which sucks because the MediaPC is also my network storage), and sometimes even that doesn't prevent the sluggishness from coming back a few hours later.

I will say that version 1.0.2 has fixed the extreme jagged choppiness that I was getting, so something is on the right track there. Now, it's more of a "smooth choppiness", if that makes any sense. Instead of the screen scrolling really jerky-like for movie descriptions and such, it's now more of a fixed choppy motion...more readable than before, but still annoying. Main menu scrolling is still just as choppy, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom