Animation slowing down in time (1 Viewer)

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I am doing some work related to that currently.
    E.g. removing hard coded constants and switch time based refreshes to depend directly on the GUI FPS. The next version will look smoother than before - only time will tell though if it stays smooth for weeks and months...

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    I am doing some work related to that currently.
    E.g. removing hard coded constants and switch time based refreshes to depend directly on the GUI FPS. The next version will look smoother than before - only time will tell though if it stays smooth for weeks and months...

I still find it really odd that restarting MP wouldn't solve the issue :p

zeflash

Portal Pro
    July 7, 2005
    Home Country
    France France
    Definitely odd, yeah. But who knows - maybe something in MP's code affects the OS' resources?
    I'll try those patches see if that changes anything here. Hopefully it will take a *loooong* time to debug ;)

Edit:
    Strange, I don't see any checkins in MP's trunk since March 22nd. Why?

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Definitely odd, yeah. But who knows - maybe something in MP's code affects the OS' resources?
    I'll try those patches see if that changes anything here. Hopefully it will take a *loooong* time to debug ;)

Such is extremely rare on todays OSes. Also it should happen on much wider range of PCs.

Strange, I don't see any checkins in MP's trunk since March 22nd. Why?

Public SVN is updated only when new SVN build is released to be tested.

zeflash

Portal Pro
    July 7, 2005
    Home Country
    France France
    it's fixed! Great work rtv!
    I tried the latest SVN and even though the previous version was slowed down quite a lot ( it has been running for about 2 weeks) the SVN version I put on top of it made the animations smooth again.

Now I don't know if it's on purpose or not, but:
    1) animations of movie descriptions for example do not start as fast as before ( need to wait about 2 or 3 seconds for them to start scrolling)
    2) the RSS ticker I have on the basic home (streamedMP skin) stops after a while. If I interact with the app again it starts back up smoothly

ltfearme

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 10, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    1) animations of movie descriptions for example do not start as fast as before ( need to wait about 2 or 3 seconds for them to start scrolling)
    There is new a skin property scrollStartDelaySec which controls the delay in which scrolling starts.

2) the RSS ticker I have on the basic home (streamedMP skin) stops after a while. If I interact with the app again it starts back up smoothly

You may want to checkout Configuration->General->Screensaver, and disable Idle timer. I think this sets the scrolling to 5FPS when idle...dont quote me on it.

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    There is new a skin property scrollStartDelaySec which controls the delay in which scrolling starts.

You may want to checkout Configuration->General->Screensaver, and disable Idle timer. I think this sets the scrolling to 5FPS when idle...dont quote me on it.

Thanks - both comments are correct :)

CHli

Portal Pro
    July 5, 2005
    Switzerland
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    I'm really looking forward for 1.0.1 so I can test these improvements and see if the bug has been squashed out ! Thanks rtv for the great work.

vuego

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 5, 2006
    Göteborg
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I noticed that when MP doesn't have focus the GUI slows down to 10 fps. I'm using EventGhost for my remote which can control MP even when it's not in focus. It means that very often my GUI is working at 10 fps and I'll have to walk to the PC and set MP in focus again :/

Is it possible to disable this feature?

kkozma

Portal Pro
    February 16, 2009
    Dayton, OH
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I have the same problem and I'm using the last SVN released before 1.0.1 released.

The interesting thing with me is that this occurs whether I have MP running or not. My machine is on 24/7 but MP isn't. I'll set up a scenario...

Fresh reboot, start MP, and all the animations are flawless. I exit MP and leave the machine running while we're in bed for the night. The next morning when I start MP I can see that the animations are already starting to become jerky. Repeat the same process. Watch TV, exit MP, leave machine running, and go to bed. By the following day, there may as well not even be any animation because that's how jerky they've become.

ATI 4550 (512mb ram), XP Pro SP3, 2 GB system ram.

The only thing I see here that we all may have in common is a remote control of some sort and I would assume we're all using mpTrayMod? Could mpTrayMod be screwing something up?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom