Animation slowing down in time (1 Viewer)

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I was wondering about something - I use the StreamedMP skin, which has a RSS feed scroller. That means something is animated at all time - maybe this has some impact compared to others.

rtv, do you have the same setup (skin, plugins) on all your machines?

Yeah - no 3rd party plugins at all (too much of a hassle with the constant updating).
    Currently using B3w - on one machine Indigo (which is even more robust due to less animation fuss).

jonaskp

Portal Pro
    October 23, 2006
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I was wondering about something - I use the StreamedMP skin, which has a RSS feed scroller. That means something is animated at all time - maybe this has some impact compared to others.

rtv, do you have the same setup (skin, plugins) on all your machines?

I have been using StreamedMP with RSS feed for some time during the period where I noticed the slowdown. I can't remember if it started with StreamedMP or was there already though.
    About a week ago I made a reinstall and have not gotten around to setting up the RSS feed yet - and I have not noticed the slowdowns.
    I must admit though, that I have been restarting my HTPC a lot lately due to the PC crashing ( I don't think it is MP related, I just need to format and reinstall windows), so the this could also be the reason I haven't seen slowdown in awhile now.

zeflash

Portal Pro
    July 7, 2005
    Home Country
    France France
    Interesting. So maybe the fact there is a constant animation makes the problem appear faster than for other people only having animations during screen transitions.
    I hardly believe it's actually the RSS scroller's fault - it's more a mean to exhibit a MP underlying issue with animations.
    I'll disable the RSS and see how it takes to make it slow down.

bash1979

Portal Member
    August 22, 2008
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Wow, I'm so glad it's not just me having this problem! I've been having the problem for a while, and always assumed it was my PC. Tried a number of different skin/plugin configurations with no luck.

For what it's worth, here are my specs:

MediaPortal 1
    StreamedMP 0.5.361 (inc. Moving Pictures 0.7 and Tv Series 2.1 I believe)
    Athlon 64 X2 dual core 4200+ (2.21 ghz)
    ATI RADEON X850 Series (256mb)
    2gb RAM
    Hauppauge PVR-150 (not being used to record TV, only used for Hauppauge remote)
    latest directx

I've always had a sneaking suspicion that it had something to do with my video card, and I see a couple other ATIs mentioned in this thread. I'm running ATI Catalyst version 8.1 if it matters...I think they're up to 9.3 now. I've always hated upgrading ATI drivers when I have them working in the first place, so that's why I've stayed stuck on 8.1. Any chance we all have the same drivers in common?

EDIT: Sorry, just finished reading the entire thread and noticed a few Nvidia users as well...so much for that theory.

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I'm running ATI Catalyst version 8.1 if it matters...I think they're up to 9.3 now. I've always hated upgrading ATI drivers when I have them working in the first place, so that's why I've stayed stuck on 8.1. Any chance we all have the same drivers in common?

It's not just ATI...

And all ATI users should be at least on driver release 8.12 which does really work well for HTPCs (Some XPress 200 owners might still use their beloved 8.5 though).

zeflash

Portal Pro
    July 7, 2005
    Home Country
    France France
    Ok, more feedback coming. I've disabled the RSS ticker, but after 2 days the same slowdown starts to occur. I'm not sure how the timers are implemented in MP but I'm assuming even if there are no animations going on, there must still be a tick occuring somewhere.
    Anyway, bottomline is, it's still there.
    More insights on this: yesterday evening, all scrollings were still perfect. This morning, not anymore. So it seems things are doing OK for a while (about 48 hours in my case) and then start going down.
    I guess I'll have to actually try to debug it myself at some point. I'm just too darn lazy to start!

CHli

Portal Pro
    July 5, 2005
    Switzerland
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    It would be wise to start putting some profiling code around the MatrixTransform operations and around the Render(). But as you said :

I guess I'll have to actually try to debug it myself at some point. I'm just too darn lazy to start!

;-)

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    It would be wise to start putting some profiling code around the MatrixTransform operations and around the Render(). But as you said :

;-)

Well - you both know how to compile MP ;)

zeflash

Portal Pro
    July 7, 2005
    Home Country
    France France
    Something quite weird that occured to me: in settings, where you set the FPS, even though after a long while animations are *really* slow, MP still reports a framerate close to the one that has been set.
    I don't know how this displayed framerate is computed, but it seems that MP thinks frame are being displayed as fast as usual when they are not.

I still have to dig in the code - but I want to change the subtitle source in TVSeries first :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom