Tools and other software Antivirus + Firewall for HTPC (1 Viewer)

SpudR

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 27, 2007
    Yorkshire, UK
    Home Country
    England England
    If the HTPC has an internet connection, it's at risk - It might not effect you, but might be used as a Zombie...

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    I would rather not put an antivirus on a htpc, but might end up putting Avast home.

Would there actually be any risks if only media portal and lan was used, like would any of the plugins or updates result in a virus(I remember a plugin had this)?

I'm not even using it to record, only to watch videos, so not even need EPG.
    But it still communicates for weather, plugins, windows updates, would any of these be of risk and require virus scanner?

Just throw MSE on it, very lightweight and a very good av aswell.

tipstir

Portal Pro
    May 5, 2007
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    All I run is this below:

| NAT | SPI | DoS | PoD | ICMP | Router \ Windows Firewall \ Rising Antivirus \ Rising PC Doctor \ RegProt \ Anti-Malware Group Policies \ LSP \SRP \ DEP \
    Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise Edition Service Pack 2 (1 Server)
    Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (7 Clients)

Eeyore

Portal Pro
    April 2, 2006
    Newcastle, Australia
    Home Country
    zicoz, I agree, Microsoft Security Essentials is the way to go now. Completely free and from a trusted source.

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

Personally, since my previous post in this thread in 2006, I have removed antivirus from my MP Server. I never use the machine to connect to the internet via a browser, so there is very little risk. I run MP1.0.2.0 on WinXP with the StreamedMP skin, so obviously that skin connects to Weather.com and my local news site for a ticker, but that is very specific data. I did however get a little paranoid about conficker, so I was running the conficker eye-chart every week or so.

The other machines on my LAN are my work laptop, which is running McAfee ePO which forces a very strict set of policies every 3 hours and my personal lap which I have upgraded to Windows 7 and am using MSE on it.

All of this is connected to the Internet via a Draytek router. My the firewall in that is turned on an I block as much as I can without affecting normal usage of the internet. Using 'ShieldsUP', I get a "full stealth" result which is about as good as it gets.

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

rsbrux

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Two questions occur to me after reading the latest posts in this thread:
    1. Is MS SE a sufficicent anti-virus for users who, like myself, browse the internet on their HTPCs, or am I better off sticking with my current solution (AVG free 9.0)?
    2. I have the MS (XPSP3) Firewall running. Is this really contribution anything? My "Full Stealth" rating from GRC is probably due to my ADSL router's firewall. What can I gain by using any SW firewall, especialy MS's? IIRC, MS only blocks incoming traffic, something which is probably already done by the HW firewall in the router.
    TIA for any comments.

winterescape

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2009
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Two questions occur to me after reading the latest posts in this thread:
    1. Is MS SE a sufficicent anti-virus for users who, like myself, browse the internet on their HTPCs, or am I better off sticking with my current solution (AVG free 9.0)?
    2. I have the MS (XPSP3) Firewall running. Is this really contribution anything? My "Full Stealth" rating from GRC is probably due to my ADSL router's firewall. What can I gain by using any SW firewall, especialy MS's? IIRC, MS only blocks incoming traffic, something which is probably already done by the HW firewall in the router.
    TIA for any comments.

IMHO
    1) Yes, MS SE is a better option. If you read up on it, it has a “lighter footprint” and would be a better option for a HTPC. I also like AVG free so this is a close call. I run no virus protection on my HTPC I consider it very low risk. Also, bookmark the free online MS tool
    Windows Live OneCare safety scanner: Free online tool for PC health and safety select "full service scan"

2) I always disable windows firewall and turn off the service in XP if the system has a hardware firewall. It would only “protect” you from other computers on your local network, which in most cases will just make file transfers and shares more difficult.

onlylove1107

April 4, 2010
    Home Country
    Viet Nam Viet Nam
    I use Norton symantec and also very good, you try to see how slightly.
    There are some users of Windows Firewall is available, there are also efficient offline!

gurabli

Portal Pro
    July 20, 2010
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    I see the last post was quite a long ago. I wonder which antivirus you are using for a HTPC client and for the server?
    Bot are connected to internet, while the client is running only MP 1.2.2.0 but the server runs the TV-server and utorrent (but from a closed tracker which is very reliable, and almost only for series).
    I have Panca Clous Free now at the client and MSE on the server.

TheBatfink

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 11, 2007
    Nottingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I use MSE on my client and I've never had any issues. Barely even notice it is there and I don't run a very high end HTPC. I don't click on stupid things though to be honest but being as my WHS2011 has no antivirus I have to run all clients with something..

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom