Tools and other software Antivirus + Firewall for HTPC (2 Viewers)

hanoota

Portal Pro
June 7, 2007
Home Country
Germany Germany
software firewalls are weak... you just need a hardware-firewall (e.g. a firewall of a router)

moesfeld

Portal Pro
September 27, 2007
Home Country
Germany Germany
But software-firewalls can prevent certain programms to "call outside".;)

BTW:
I´m using AVG PE and sygate personal firewall flawless for some years now (exept avg popups)

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    For me AVG free has gone pear shaped, every windows start it cannot connect to server, this has happened during the last 5-6 months (since 8 released), so have switched to Avast, yes you have to register, but the delight is if you right click on the icon you can shut it down, necessary whilst installing windows updates.

rsbrux

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    With AVG 8 free, I have no problems. It also provides shutdown from systray.
    That said, I also have nothing against Avast: I use it on my desktop.

Attachments

• AVG shutdown.jpg
      AVG shutdown.jpg
      119.4 KB

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    AVG-Free for everyone i know who has it installed has now done this consistantly for quite a few months now, even on a new install :(

We get various problems from users with all antivirus\spyware programs, so its always good to share personal experiences :)

But then a true htpc does not need AV or AS software, but who am I to call the kettle black :D

fromaron

Portal Pro
    October 18, 2007
    Home Country
    I also use AVG 8.0 free on all my PCs including HTPC one. I did have update fail problem at one stage with "Invalid CTF file" message reported. After googling around (I love the slang :D) I found a solution which worked for me 100%. After implementing it I didn't have a single problem (yet) with AVG.
    This is what I did:
    Goto C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\avg8\update\download
    Delete two .ctf files there. Get AVG to update manualy.

SpudR

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 27, 2007
    Yorkshire, UK
    Home Country
    England England
    Have a look at the ESET Nod32 Smart Security - firewall & AV in one :)
    My company resell it - there is NO substitute IMHO (the package is great, low footprint, disable popups and exclude DIRs AND the support is fantastic :) )

If you want to know more AV comparisons
    It's a bit techy on the reports but it'll give you the gods and demons of the AV world...

ryan20021982

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 27, 2008
    USA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    NOD32 is the easiest and you can also set it to silent mode so it will only popup if it needs your permission for something, even the splash screen at boot wont show if you tell it not to. Its like its not even there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom