Tools and other software Antivirus + Firewall for HTPC (1 Viewer)

ryan20021982

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 27, 2008
    USA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Under system setup

Attachments

• nod32.png
      nod32.png
      100.1 KB

Cressari

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 29, 2008
    Konstanz
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Use HTPC only with MP, never used a special firewall (just unsing inbuilt MS-Firewall) or anti-virus. Never had problems in 1,5 years.
    On my Office PCs i always run Kaspersky Internet Security, but this will be to hard for HTPC.

And: NEVER buy Symantec Norton 360 - its built in hell!

etheesdad

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 8, 2008
    Adelaide
    The people over at Panda Security have been in the online scanner business for a while now, but they have now decided to take it a step further with their cloud scanner, it's supposed to be extremely light on the client side, it's still i Beta, but it could turn out to be a good antivirus for HTPCs.

Panda Cloud Antivirus FREE - The first free cloud antivirus against viruses, spyware, rootkits and adware

Have you actually used this on an HTPC with MP?

I put it on my XP machine and it played havoc with video playback - caused regular stuttering while playing back movies and tv shows. I took it off and put Avast! back on - problem solved. Personally I wouldnt recommend Panda Cloud to anyone wanting to run it on an HTPC

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I'm using avast on my htpc, seems ok. it's free. You can disable all dialog boxes and have it send an email if it finds a virus instead of dialog box.

tesco

Portal Member
    March 27, 2009
    The people over at Panda Security have been in the online scanner business for a while now, but they have now decided to take it a step further with their cloud scanner, it's supposed to be extremely light on the client side, it's still i Beta, but it could turn out to be a good antivirus for HTPCs.

Panda Cloud Antivirus FREE - The first free cloud antivirus against viruses, spyware, rootkits and adware

Have you actually used this on an HTPC with MP?

I put it on my XP machine and it played havoc with video playback - caused regular stuttering while playing back movies and tv shows. I took it off and put Avast! back on - problem solved. Personally I wouldnt recommend Panda Cloud to anyone wanting to run it on an HTPC

I had absolutely no problems with this A/V on Vista with MP.

mediortal

Portal Member
    July 28, 2009
    I would rather not put an antivirus on a htpc, but might end up putting Avast home.

Would there actually be any risks if only media portal and lan was used, like would any of the plugins or updates result in a virus(I remember a plugin had this)?

I'm not even using it to record, only to watch videos, so not even need EPG.
    But it still communicates for weather, plugins, windows updates, would any of these be of risk and require virus scanner?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom