Any way to change refresh rate to 1080i25? (1 Viewer)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    but it seems that you do not believe me :(
    Far from it! I do believe you when you say that setting makes TV look better. I just don't believe that it's the right solution. There should be another way to get the same good-looking results for TV, and at the same time get good results for other videos.

All I am saying is that if I manually change the PC output to 1080i25, then TV files look better.
    As above: I believe you.

You are saying that they shouldn't...
    If you think that, you've misunderstood me, because I'm not intending to say that.

...and if they do then something on my PC is broken.
    Yes, I'm definitely saying that the fact that TV looks better when you use 1080i @ 25 Hz is an indication that something isn't right. I'm saying that because 1080p @ 50 Hz would normally look just as good.

I will try and get all of that evidence together to prove to you that my issue is real and valid, might take a little time though.
    Again, I don't doubt that the issue is real and valid. You don't have to prove that to me or anybody else. :)
    I'm trying to get you to approach the problem from a different perspective; to realise that changing the PC output to 1080i @ 25 Hz is effective, but (in my opinion) not a good solution. Not good because it doesn't work for non-1080i videos. I'm trying to point you towards a better solution; one that will give you great looking video across the board.

Just to reply to one of your points above, with Plex Media Player, I know that it has switched to 1080i25 as I can press i during video playback and get all of the stats up as an overlay.
    Are those stats coming from the TV or from Plex though?
    If they're coming from Plex, there's a very good chance they're saying that the input (ie. the TV stream) is 1080i... which would be the same as for MediaPortal. The difference in result (ie. the reason Plex may look better than MP) could simply be that deinterlacing is working with Plex whereas it's not with MP. That's entirely possible, because deinterlacing depends on codec settings and other things.

To reiterate again: I believe everything you've said, including that Plex looks better. My response is that there are reasonable explanations for all your observations. I think the next step is to get log files on the table. Not from a perspective of you trying to prove that the problem exists. Rather, from a perspective of confirming how best to resolve the problem.

LJG

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 3, 2012
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Okay, okay, I get it, thanks very much for helping me :)

I have to go to work now, but later on I will spend some time getting lots of info together and uploading it, including screenshots, and cell phone videos, logs etc.

Thanks!

LJG

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 3, 2012
    Home Country
    Okay, unfortunately the issue does not seem to be recordable by my cell phone.

So, I have uploaded a test file, which is a 3min20sec recording from BBC News HD this morning.

When the PC is outputting 1920 x 1080p @ 50 hz, the issue is visible in the scrolling news ticker at approx 1m02s, 1m05s, 1m 17s, 1m19s, 1m33s, 1m46s.

When the PC is outputting 1920 x 1080i @ 25 hz the issue is not visible.

A description of the issue is that the news ticker becomes temporarily jerky and full of horizontal lines.

The test file is here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7zlg75hupf6308p/AAAh9J3Txihd_zYzKq3VtMI9a?dl=0

I also attach the MP logs as instructed above.

In addition I attach some photos of the Plex Media Player debug overlay, this shows that when the global resolution and refresh rate on the PC is set to 1080p @ 50, PMP switches it to 1080i @ 25hz for these files.

Thanks!

lisa

Attachments

• 2016-12-02 14.47.43.jpg
      4.3 MB
    • 2016-12-02 14.47.54.jpg
      5.5 MB

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    A description of the issue is that the news ticker becomes temporarily jerky and full of horizontal lines.

That confirms what mm has been saying - the de-interlacing in the PC is not working correctly.

"full of horizontal lines" is a perfect description of the effect you get when an interlaced image is shown on a progressive display without any de-interlacing in the video decoder or GPU.

Can you post some screen grabs of the LAV Video Decoder settings screens please?

LJG

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 3, 2012
    Home Country
    Screengrab attached as requested.

I have tried various combinations of settings under deinterlacing mode and hardware decoder, some look a little different than others, but no combination seems to eradicate the problem entirely.

My 'hobbyist' theory, is along the lines of what cybersimian posted in #5, that the broadcast is flicking between different modes and the PC can't keep up, so is visible, whereas with the output in 1080i mode the TV is doing the work, and is doing it fast enough that it is no longer visible.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
      Capture.PNG
      70.2 KB

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    I have tried various combinations of settings under deinterlacing mode and hardware decoder, some look a little different than others, but no combination seems to eradicate the problem entirely.
    I also have an Nvidia graphics adapter, in my case a lowly GT610. Here are some screenshots of the setup that I use (and which seems to reduce/prevent the jerky scrolling/panning problem on UK HD TV).

MP codec settings (for the "TV Codecs" tab):
    mp_codec_settings.jpg

Nvidia resolution settings:
    nvidia_resolution_settings.jpg

Nvidia video settings:
    nvidia_video_settings.jpg

Some points:

(1) On the Nvidia "Resolution Settings" panel, the settings are exactly as MM said they should be (1080p, with a refresh rate of 50Hz).

(2) On the Nvidia "Video Settings" panel, the settings are such that the "video player" settings are ignored, and the Nvidia settings used instead; "Inverse telecine" is selected for de-interlacing.

(3) On the "MP Video Settings", "De-interlacing mode" is set to "Force". The hover help says that this causes the mode flags in the datastream to be ignored, and de-interlacing to be forced in all cases.

To be honest, I don't actually know how these different settings interact. If Nvidia is set to "ignore video player settings", does that mean that the LAV video settings are ignored, or does it mean something else? :confused:

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    Screengrab attached as requested.

My 'hobbyist' theory, is along the lines of what cybersimian posted in #5, that the broadcast is flicking between different modes and the PC can't keep up, so is visible, whereas with the output in 1080i mode the TV is doing the work, and is doing it fast enough that it is no longer visible.

Apart from using 'DXVA (native)' instead of 'copy back', your LAV settings look OK.

I also used to use an nVidia GT430 and Freeview HD worked OK on a 50Hz screen. I can't remember the settings I used as I switched to a new PC about a year ago with an Intel GPU (which gives better picture quality than the GT430, and 'just works' without having to play around with the settings).

If you play a Freeview HD recording in MPC-HC (which uses LAV filters internally by default), does that look OK/better than in MP?

LJG

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 3, 2012
    Home Country
    No, the issue is pretty much apparent in all players, except Plex Media Player. I then realised that Plex Media Player was changing the PC output to 1080i25, and when I do that manually, and play the file in Media Portal, the issue is not there.

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Hi,

I have tested your sample against madVR and EVR, and i have the same issue as you but my screen is set to 60HZ but if i use Yadif in LAV Video the issue is gone with madVR and EVR (attached is my setting)
    upload_2016-12-3_11-52-48.png

I will try on 50Hz refresh rate to compare :)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Unless I'm missing something, I can't reproduce the problem with the provided sample using either CyberLink (2.0.1520.331) or LAV (0.68.1) video codecs.

My LAV settings:
    upload_2016-12-4_0-20-28.png

Note I only select hardware decoder "none" because DXVA2 is not supported on Windows XP.

GPU is AMD/ATI HD 4670.

Apart from using 'DXVA (native)' instead of 'copy back', your LAV settings look OK.
    I generally agree with this statement.

but if i use Yadif in LAV Video the issue is gone
    Personally I wouldn't recommend using Yadif. It uses lots of CPU. Instead I'd recommend trying different values for the "deinterlacing mode" setting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom