Asterisk CallerID plugin continues (1 Viewer)

charli181

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 3, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Last time I checked on the Asterisk forums, Asterisk loaded on A virtual machine will not be able to use the hardware requried (DIGIUM boards)for a normal POTS (X100P) telephone line or ISDN trunk . In Virtual Machines, the only thing possible for Asterisks is VOIP lines. If you run it on it's own server then the hardware can be utilised.

Jeinhor

Portal Member
    January 17, 2008
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Thank you for your assistance.

I found another plugin that might do the trick: YAC Caller-ID. Works with a analouge line and a modem.

MageMinds

Portal Pro
    January 29, 2007
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Thanks, I found that plugin and it was just what I was looking for ... Before having Asterisk at home, I couldn't have YAC, because I didn't had a compatible modem and didn't wanted to buy one ... Now I have CallerID on screen with Asterisk, even before my analogue phones gets it, this is awesome! I don't pause automatically, so I don't have any problem with it... Thanks again ... a lot!

MageMinds

charli181

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 3, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Sooo, Asterix can get you by having to buy a compatible modem? I'm all ears... =)

sort of. Asterisk is a VOIP Based PBX. If you have PSTN (aka POTS) lines, you will still need to buy hardware to integrate them into the Asterisk system. These cards can range from $40 (aus) for cheap clone non approved cards, through to proper cards starting at $150.

AN off spin product of Asterisk is TrixBox Ce. This system can be downloaded for free (open Source) and you could have a Voip PBX running in about 30 minutes. TrixBox contains Asterisk plus a well developed web based fronend to help configure and administer Asterisk. For a noob, I would suggest this product. I have it running on an old P3 500Mhz,256M Ram with 8 Gig drive and works well for 3 simultaneous calls in a teleconference. Any higher and the CPU starts to peak too much. But for home use, this is fine.

Jeinhor

Portal Member
    January 17, 2008
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Well, I live in Sweden where we for some reason use DTMF instead of TAPI. Dont know about POTS, but I'm guessing this won't solve my problem...

Thanks anyway!

charli181

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 3, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    A POTS line is (Plain Old Telephone Standard) i think from memory. This is a standard phone line that you would have adsl/adsl2 run over the top of. In autralia, the CLi is passed down the line as DTMF (Dual Tone Modulated Frequency) as the phone is ringing (or before not too sure). SO to answer your question, I think Sweden and Aus use the same standard, ( NOTE:- I used to work for Ericsson on PBX's here in Aus). My point here was that you would need to setup another server to run Asterisk/TrixBox which could mean greater outlay just to have CLI working on MP. :)

Jeinhor

Portal Member
    January 17, 2008
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Cool =)

You're right, Sweden uses DTMF. But if I setup another computer with Asterix and connect a old, analouge modem to it, I could get caller-ID working?

charli181

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 3, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    not too sure with that, you have to check the Asterisk Forums. As far as I know, there is the X100P clone cards (on ebay) and then there is the more expensive Digium TDM400 's (again ebay and other sources).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom