ATI 10.11 Deinterlacing (1 Viewer)

gloomyandy

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 15, 2006
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    So I saw this problem again last night while watching TV and sure enough the de-interlacing setting had changed to bob (I think, certainly not VA). I don't have the ensure smooth playback option set. I've just switched on the automatic setting for de-interlace to see if that makes any difference... What version of MP are you guys using? Does 1.1.2 help (there is a fix for a texture leak), what about 1.2?

Andy

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    Hi there,

I do not see the CCC slider change on my setup. It is always set (and stays) at VA.

Most the time the picture quality is fine/great, but everso often I see blocking/aliasing around objects that have just moved.

I have a HD5670 turning up tomorrow (to test instead of my 5450).

I will let you know how I go on with extra grunt! :D

ATI 10.10 does not seem to have made any difference to 10.11 (albeit it might be slightly less with 10.10) :(

So maybe I did have the issue with 10.10

J.

gloomyandy

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 15, 2006
    Home Country
    Can you get a passively cooled card that fits in a single slot that is more powerful than the 5450? I can find a passive 5550 (but that has a heatsink the overhangs the next slot). Is a 5550 any better than a 5450 for things like de-interlacing?

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    Hello mate,

The 5550 is a big jump up over the 5450 (number of shaders is nearly 3 times more, text mapping units is doubled, etc).

You can get single slot versions (passive) but they all have "wrap over" heat sinks which make them quite tall (eg wont fit into my antec case).

You can get single slot (fan cooled) 5670 (which does not require additional power), or you can also get a single slot 5770 (same size as the 5670), but requires additional power

I have ordered a fan cooled 5670. I'll see how noisy it is, and whether it solves my issue!

J.

rich76

Portal Pro
    December 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Hi all,
    I thought Id share my experiences with in the hope it helps some1.

I also have a ati sapphire 5450 and experience the same results your all have with bad picture quality.
    I have installed version 10.9 driver now and for the last few days everything has been working a lot more smoothly. I have unticked the option to edge enhancement and ticked the box to apply to web streams. Other than that I have kept all settings as default.
    Im using a tbs6891 dual tuner and also a ss2 s2 card

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    Hi there,

I have just installed ATI 10.12 drivers.

From what I have been reading, the 5450 with VA can be borderline for some content with post processing enabled (eg noise/edge enabled), and some vendors dynamically change the VA mode if it can't cope.

I will let you know how I get on with 10.12 (and the 5670).

One thing I am curious about, is that everyones perception of quality varies (eg I think I have issues, my other half doesn't notice anything).

Is anyone else testing with "Cheese slices"?

Thanks,

J.

gloomyandy

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 15, 2006
    Home Country
    Hi,
    Not using Cheese slices but happy to give it a go if someone wants to post a set of instructions... I have pretty much everything except the VA setting turned off, no noise reduction, no edge enhancement. I do have the color range set to whatever the setting is that gives you 0-255 (as this seems to work better with my TV). I'm currently running with automatic de-interlacing set. Do you folks have that set or not? What about the use application settings check box?

Andy

rich76

Portal Pro
    December 3, 2006
    Home Country
    My video settings are...

Basic colour...use application settings ticked

Advanced colour...only brighter Whites ticked

Basic quality...use automatic deinterlacing ticked and pulldown detection unticked

Advanced quality...All unticked

Video playback...enforce smooth video playback unticked and apply current video quality to Internet video ticked

Video Demo mode...enable demo mode unticked

That's with the 10.9 driver from the sapphire website, not sure if the drivers on the ati website. I have the sapphire 5450 1gb DDR3 and using hdmi for video and sound.

I haven't been testing with cheese slice just mince pies :rolleyes:

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    Me again :D

I tried 10.12, but still have the slight issue with my aliasing on the 5450 card.

So I fitted my new 5670 with 10.12.

I know have access to deblocking and mosquito controls too :)

Guess what... the quality seems ok now. Its still early days, but things are looking promising.

Except...... the card is too noisy!

So I am returning the card, and I have purchased a passive version, where I will modify the heatsink arrange to make it fit into my case. :O

The utilisation of the 5670 is low when watching TV/movies. The temps don't seem much different to my 5450.

I'll do more testing this weekend.

Many thanks,

J.

rich76

Portal Pro
    December 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Hi Jay,
    I was just about to try 10.12 but after reading what you wrote above I think I will stick with 10.9 as not getting any problem with that driver.
    Thanks for the info tho, now I'm wondering why I need to ever upgrade anyway but you know what it's like when something new comes out...

Cheers

Rich :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom