Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hello mate,

I'd love to say I kept to what I preach... ie "why change if its not broken", but for some stupid reason I feel I have to keep upgrading!

I'll be honest I stayed at 9.8 for ages, then I jumped to 10.10 (and had problems), then 10.10a, then 10.11 and now 10.12.

More I think about it, 9.8 worked fine for me.

I'll give a more thorough update next week.

J.

gloomyandy

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 15, 2006
    Home Country
    Is 9.8 available someplace for download? If so I might give it a try. I updated trying to a fix a problem that didn't exist (turned out the issue I mentioned earlier about a light strip down the side of the screen is actually a fault with my TV). Would rather not ahve to upgrade my card (looks like I may need my money for new TV at some point!)... But I'd be interested to see how you modify the heatsink to get it to fit... Does anyone know if a 5550 gives you the extra features or do you have to go to a 5670 to get them?

Andy

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    Hi there,

I believe the 5550 and 5670 are closely related (looking at the specs) - That doesn't mean for sure they have the same features, but I believe they do.

Its just the 5450 which is a big step down.

I have two or three options to sort the heatsink.... none I would recommend to the home user ;)

Once I have it sorted I will try and post some pics.

J.

ps - I'm sure there are some 9.8 downloads on the net, but I'll check if I have a copy at home I can upload for you.

gloomyandy

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 15, 2006
    Home Country
    Thanks for the offer I did a bit of searching and found this...
    Previous Catalyst
    Would be interested to see your modified card. I'm not sure if I have enough room in my case or not.
    I have a Zalman HD501 case and may just have enough room, but can't be sure...

DiePlage

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 16, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Re: ATI 10.11 Deinterlacing

Me again :D
    So I am returning the card, and I have purchased a passive version, where I will modify the heatsink arrange to make it fit into my case. :O
    J.

Hi Jay!

I just got a Low Profile 5670 from saphhire with active cooling. I must say I am actually quite satisfied. The fans are almost unhearable.
    Unfortunately, a passive version is out of the question as I got no airflow at all on that side of the PCIex slot...

rich76

Portal Pro
    December 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Andy,

Not sure if you have the sapphire version of the card but on the sapphire website SAPPHIRE- HOME
    they have some older drivers on there too. I have now tried 10.8 as well as 10.9 and can confirm both work for me, The drivers on the ati website might be fine but as my card is a sapphire ati 5450 I thought id stick with the sapphire driver just in case. I'm running on windows 7 and 1.2A with the epg series link version of mediaportal which I think your using too.

Rich

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    Hi there,

AMD/ATI always recommend running the manufacturers own version of the software.

Can anyone capture a sample of the video where they have aliasing/blocking issues?

It would be good to compare...and see if w are talking about the same issues...and to the same extent.

I'm going to give the 5450 one last shot... with edge detection and denoise turned off again.

J.

gloomyandy

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 15, 2006
    Home Country
    Hi,
    Yes my card is indeed a sapphire. I'm currently using the ATI drivers. No idea if the Sapphire ones have any changes in them but I guess they could have... When I get the time I'll grab that version and see if it makes any difference. Does anyone have a test that actually shows up the problem? My problem seems to only show up now and again...

Oh and how reliable is 1.2.0? I think I have many of the seem "updates" as some of you Sky Epg, AudioRender (and I'm just looking at adding the Bluray handler), and I'd like to get 1.2.0 just in case the leaking texture thing is causing some of the problems...

Andy

rich76

Portal Pro
    December 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Andy,
    For me 1.2A has been really stable and haven't had any problems with plugins. I also use blu-ray handler which works great too and really smooth play back. I wanted to use the open scanner plugin really but that svn caused too many other problems so I just use it to make a channel list and export it back into 1.2A for now. The only problem I was getting with 10.10 and 10.11 drivers was really high cpu useage, live hd channels with every decoder I tried it would max out my cpu too 90-100%. This obviously resulted in a lot of freezing and the picture to break up.
    Its now between 25-50% so the gpu must be taking some of the load now which I don't think it was before.
    Im using cyberlink sp decoder for mpeg2 and cyberlink decoder for H.264 from saf 5.0 unlocked.

Rich

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    Hi there,

I have refitted the 5450 - the picture quaility definately seems worse (this card does not have mosquito or deblocking). I turned off denoise/edge/smooth playback on the 5450, but still suffer from aliasing/blocking issues at times. :(

I am also suffering with high temps on the 5450 due to poor airflow over the passive heatsink (maybe the high temps derates the cards peformance) - I'm going to try and keep it cooler while I due further testing.

Rich - Do you have the same PDVD10 codec set for SD and HD TV?

My new plans for the HTPC cooling/ventilation should help with the 5670 card when (if) it turns up!

I'm the same with MP1.2, I tried the open scanner on my test rig (had a few issues), but run the original MP1.2A Sky release on my live box. Once A slightly better Sky SVN release is done I'll test again.

Thanks,

J.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom