ATI 690G/x1250 problems (1 Viewer)

aweinman

Portal Member
November 9, 2007
Home Country
Canada Canada
I'm using the Gigabyte 690G chipset motherboard. All I got was freezing with 7.8 and higher on MP. I did try the replacing flipy="true" with flipy="false", but like I said it did not stop the freezing for me. Not sure why it works for others.

I finally gave in and downgraded to Catalyst 7.2. All is installed including the CCC. It now works fine with ALL skins.

Anyway, hopefully a MB BIOS update for Gigabyte will eventually fix the problem. But I think I will wait for someone else to test it first. I have spent way too much time on this issue, and now that I got it working, I want to enjoy it for a while.

Thanks,
Allan

No problems here with the 690G chipset and mediaportal. Btw. i use catalyst 7.8 drivers.

Problems arise because the asus hdmi board is a piece of shit.

backslash

What MB are you using?

G.B. Wolf

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 22, 2007
    Braunschweig
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Perhaps Omegadrivers can do the trick?
    I don't think they will help, but if someone will try them, I won't stand in the way.

The reason I'm thinking that is, that the changelog for the new BIOS version for the ASUS board is saying, that they work on the integrated VGA part. Therefore it seems that the error is somewhere in the onboard chip integration and not only in the catalyst driver. Something like a wrong implemented function the driver supports. In that case the Omega driver won't help.

I'll check the new BIOS later.

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    One of my dev PCs is running on a MSI K9AGM2-FIH. This has been quite unstable using its integrated gfx not only for MP but also for various other DX-Apps and almost unusable with Linux.
    Until the last BIOS update I had to use another cheap graphics card to workaround that issue. I'll need to check it more thoroughly but it seems like the latest BIOS cured those issues.

Btw: My XPress200 and NV6150 based boards were rock stable in the past but the 690G does consume less than 50 Watts in total and therefore would be the better HTPC platform once it is stable.

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    The reason I thought Omega Drivers might solve this, was that I was under the impression that this behavior was linked to the Ati CCC - the Omega drivers uses own control panel.

gromit

Portal Member
    April 3, 2006
    frankfurt
    690G / x1250 is working fine

hey folks,

got lots of different probs running mp 2.3 RC, but depending on integrating the ci/cam. I'm posting cause my system runs on a mb asus m2a-vm hdmi, using the onboard graphic x1250. trying to get a clue to the problems i have, i testetd several setups, in cluding mp 2.2, mp 2.3rc 1 / rc2/ rc3, mp2.3 with tvserver (tvengine3), winTV, sceneo, powercinema, some different dvb-players, catalyst 7.2 up to 7.9, different dvb-t and dvb-s/s2 cards ... and so on. with any configuration i didn't have any probs to get the system running at the best!!!

i've got probs since using the ci-module for my hauppauge nova hd s2, but that's another story. i think, the 690g chipset and the x1250 won't be the matter of. it's working too good with too many different setups. (as far as i suspected them to cause my probs as well...)

didn't surely help in fact, but might give an idea to look for other reasons.

sincerely

gromit

ps: ccc runnig all the time.

G.B. Wolf

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 22, 2007
    Braunschweig
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    So... I made a couple of tests

Not working:
    * Flashing BIOS with 1501 beta :(
    * Removing CCC
    * Using Omega 7.10

Working:
    * Using catalyst 7.2 (*)
    * Changing the value of FlipY to false

Now I'm back at the regular 7.10 catalyst with the changed FlipY. Therefore the problem seems to be in the display of the reflection (which the FlipY value stands for if I'm right with this). This is also the reason the old catalyst is working. At least on my HTPC the reflection wasn't shown by default. So... no reflection, no error.

For now I'll stick at the deactivated reflection setup, since the new skins are still looking really nice without them. :)

With gromit's post I'm thinking that this issue could be a fluctation in the production of the 690G chipset.

Best regards
    Wolf

(*) I couldn't stay with these catalyst version as I couldn't select pixelperfect resolution for my LCD.

backslash

Portal Pro
    November 23, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    My Setup:

ASUS M2A-VM HDMI BIOS 1501 using onboard GPU and Catalyst 7.8

Philips Flat TV connected as secondary display via HDMI and TFT as primary display via DVI.

It all works perfect but it was a hell to get there! I built many systems before but no motherboard made me such headaches before as this Asus did. Nearly all BIOS Versions until 1501 were crap. 1501 is still crap but less crap than the versions before. Asus released so many BIOS Versions in a short period of time that it looks like try and error to get things fixed.

Just take a look at the Asus forum concerning this motherboard and then you'll realize what's really going on:

http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx?elitepost=0&SLanguage=en-us&board_id=1&model=M2A-VM+HDMI

I (tried to) build a second system for my friend with the same board and similar components like mine but i did not get his system stable. E.G. no way to get it booting with 2 quality DIMMS in Dual Channel mode. It only boots with one DIMM. Furthermore sound is stuttering with random crashes and so on...

So that is what i meant with my post before: This board and it's drivers are crap.

In my opinion there are no todos for mediaportal developers here. The only guys who must get their jobs done are Asus with a 100% working BIOS and ATI with a 100% working driver.

backslash

OgdenP

Portal Pro
    August 12, 2007
    Home Country
    If you go to any dedicated hardware forum, you'll see the same number of problems with any motherboard. But each system is totally different from the next. Different power supply, different RAM, different peripherals. The thing is, you only see the problems, never the successes.

I'm running an ASUS M2A-VM HDMI using the built in video and it works fine with Media Portal. I'm using the original drivers that came with the Motherboard and BIOS version 1101 (also the original, as supplied). There is nothing intrinsically wrong with this motherboard. It is perhaps a little underpowered in the video department for Full HD video, but that is all.

gromit

Portal Member
    April 3, 2006
    frankfurt
    further information

good morning everybody,

to complete my setup-information:

bios and drivers "out of the box", stable with prime95² about 4h (then stopped, not failed)
    while running the cpu x2 4200+ @2000mhz instead of 2200 mhz and fixed vcore of 1,2V.
    total power consumption running MP aproximately 95 - 120w, less than 60 w when idle.

guess, that's stable...

i have disabled Cool'n Quiet and AMD Live! and x1250 is running with 256 mb (2gb installed).
    dram setup slow but stable...
    i've got 4* 512/6400 OCZ special ops (OCZ2SOE800512)

Bios ver. 1.001.

Installation of XP home is anything but clean (ought to make a new setup:oops: ) and kasp 6.0 is running all the time.

did anybody change the ram modules? as far as the system ram is also working as grafic-ram, phps that could make a change?

sorry, that i can't help any further than giving an outline of a running system.

sincerely

gromit

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom