ATSC Card Owners: Come here for Support (1 Viewer)

Wolvyrine

November 25, 2006
Home Country
Canada Canada
kWorld ATSC110 card and questions

Ok, I am an extreme noob when it comes to all this so please bear this in mind while reading. I have treid to browse though theese forums, but there is just SO much information, and to be honest theres so much of it I dont understand. I could be reading what I need to know, and not know thats what I need lol. So as to not take up too much more of your time here is the kernel of my issues.

I went with MP after a heartbreaking and infuriating attempt with the BeyondTV3se that came with my card refused to do more than make me want to commit some form of violence against my computer. So far I am greatly impressed. I am having a few issues and am unsure as to what I can do to resolve them.

I am using the afore mentioned card with a small HD antennae and a signal booster. I can watch TV on my computer!!!!.....sometimes. MOST of the channels work fine. Some however (not the same ones consistently) either lock when I switch, or have no sound, and then when I switch again things go wrong. I have the EPG grab disabled. I cannot view fullscreen at all without locking the program or crashing my system. After a good solid MP lock, I have to fully reboot or the problem persists. I also have several channels listed that carry the same call signs (WNED) but then are followed by different 2 alpha characters that differ, and none of them seem to work, I just get a blank screen. Here is some info that might be useful.

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519)
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 1022MB RAM
Page File: 222MB used, 2237MB available
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Series GPU
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce 6800 Series GPU
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_00F9&SUBSYS_026D10DE&REV_A2
Display Memory: 256.0 MB
Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: Dell M993s
Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll
Driver Version: 6.14.0010.9371 (English)
DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 10/22/2006 12:22:00, 4527488 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
VDD: n/a
Mini VDD: nv4_mini.sys
Mini VDD Date: 10/22/2006 12:22:00, 3994624 bytes
Description: SB Audigy Audio [DCC0]
Default Sound Playback: Yes
Default Voice Playback: Yes
Hardware ID: PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_0004&SUBSYS_10031102&REV_04
Manufacturer ID: 1
Product ID: 100
Type: WDM
Driver Name: ctaud2k.sys
Driver Version: 5.12.0001.0328 (English)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
Date and Size: 3/26/2003 16:33:58, 498688 bytes

And this is what I get for my ATSC card from Everest....

[ Philips SAA7135HL Multimedia Capture Device ]

Device Properties:
Device Description Philips SAA7135HL Multimedia Capture Device
Bus Type PCI
Bus / Device / Function 4 / 2 / 0
Device ID 1131-7133
Subsystem ID 17DE-7350
Device Class 0480 (Multimedia Device)
Revision F0
Fast Back-to-Back Transactions Supported, Disabled

Device Features:
66 MHz Operation Not Supported
Bus Mastering Enabled

Now I'm not expecting someone to just drop their lives and slave to give me all the worlds answers, but if there is a common problem by what I have given here I would be most appreciative. Otherwise at least a bit of a point at narrowing down the massive amount of materials to be read here would be great too. I would like to say "Thanks!" in advance for any and all help. I am trying to bring myself up to snuff on some of this tech stuff and the information in general.

Scott
:D

Paul S

Portal Pro
May 14, 2006
Franklin, WI (Milwaukee)
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Maybe I can be of some help.

As far as the full screen problems, I have to go to full screen before I switch to the MyTV section. It seems MP cannot enlarge the TV picture when watching TV. You can have it automatically start in full screen by changing the settings. The taskbar will disappear in this mode.

MP will lock up on you if you try to channel surf. I just found this out for myself. I promoted my MP "test" rig from the basement to a prime viewing area. I am very disappointed in this.

For the channel problems, what are you using for the EPG? Can you use zap2it in Canada? (I think that's where you're from) It seems to map my zap2it channels pretty good. There is a zap2it plugin, you need to get the right version for your MP version.

I have BeyondTV 4 running on a PC with absolutely no problems. In fact, because of the viewing problems with MP, I may have to give up on MP (for now) and install BTV4 in this PC also, or it's going back to the basement. I think that you gave up on BTV too soon. If that's the case, you're not going to like MP at all. It seems to need baby sitting to keep it running. I have had to reboot alot lately, as it hangs when changing channels, and will not restart.

That being said, MP works great for recording TV and watching the recorded shows. If this is your main use for this, then MP is good to use. If you want to watch TV without crashing when you change channels, then BTV4 is what you may want. I would recommend buying the full version. The free version that you got is not good enough. You can download the full version for a 30 day free trial. Try it and see if it works for you.

I am not putting down MP or its developers. They have worked very hard to get MP this far. And I applaud them for their efforts.

Also, I did not see any mention of which version of Media Portal that you are using. This is important. Because MP is in rapid development, some things change significantly between versions.

Paul

Wolvyrine

November 25, 2006
Home Country
Canada Canada
I tried setting ti to fullscreen prior to going to MyTV and it still locks on me. I dont have any EPG atm, not unless theres something preconfigured that I didn't catch. I trid going to the zap2it page, and the only thing I can get to load is the main page. I can't find where to sign up for anything, nor if that costs.
I agree, BeyondTV4 is amazing, I also cannot afford it. The one I have is 3se, and snapstream refuses to support it, tell me anything about it, or even acknowledge it exists half the time. Even if I HAD the money I would be a tad cautious about purchasing one of thier products based on these previous experiences.

I have MP 0.2.1.0

I would LIKE to record shows for later viewing, but right now I'd just like to watch television on this machine period. I appreciate the post Paul. *chuckle* I just have the feeling I am doomed.

Scott
:D

bobn4burton

Portal Member
December 2, 2006
I haven't yet read through this entire thread (I plan to) but my wife needs me to get a HDTV tuner ASAP (like within the next few hours) and so I haven't had time to fully research yet. Just wondering if there is a general consensus as to which card is preferred. I've been looking at the Avermedia A180 and the Vbox 150.

Any quick opinions on which is the best card to use with MediaPortal? Or should I consider the DVICO?

Thanks for any help in advance.

natrlhy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 2, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    Home Country
    If you don't mind the USB external device, it ensure's you don't use up a PCI slot on your motherboard. it's actually a very small unit that has a power indicator light AND a signal lock light on the front of it. I don't mind it at all and I really like the signal lock green LED. It can sit on it's side or on its edge (comes with a nifty stand).

Something I read on the pcalchemy.com site is some users of the USB model had to connect it to a powered USB hub. I did not have to do this since but your application may require it.

Enjoy!

bobn4burton

Portal Member
    December 2, 2006
    I just put 0.2.2.0 on my HTPC and am still having problems with my VBOX 150. Everything seems to be pretty solid except changing channels. Scheduled recording works great. Time-shifting seems to be solid as well. I just get problems when I start to change channels. Sometimes I can change channels up to 10 times before MP locks. Other times MP will lock after the first channel change. Usually it takes about 5-6 channel changes before MP locks up.

Is there anything we can do to improve channel changing stability?

I have gotten everything working quite well with MP except channel changing...

natrlhy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 2, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    Home Country
    I still experience this same thing with any ATSC channel I try and change to. Could you please post your logs when this is happening? It would be great if we could start figuring out why this is happening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom