ATSC Card Owners: Come here for Support (1 Viewer)

akajester

Portal Pro
October 13, 2008
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I think I just made some progress. Following the tutorial to add unsupported tv cards, I was able to get graphstudio to finally look right. checking the capturecards.xml file, it appears 4 of the 5 pins were listed incorrectly! Would this cause MP to not scan channels properly? I edited the file and will post results later!

akajester

Portal Pro
October 13, 2008
Home Country
I think I just made some progress. Following the tutorial to add unsupported tv cards, I was able to get graphstudio to finally look right. checking the capturecards.xml file, it appears 4 of the 5 pins were listed incorrectly! Would this cause MP to not scan channels properly? I edited the file and will post results later!

Since I'm talking to myself, I might as well keep documenting what I'm finding with the hopes that in the future this will make sense to someone else.

Even after updating the capturecards.xml file with the proper pin connections the channel scan still didn't work. I tried to add channels manually after getting all the channel info from my hdtv set top tuner. Unfortunately the channel says it's not linked to a tuner and I can't figure out how to "link" it. back to the drawing board!

Attached is my tv.log file. You'll notice that I swapped in an analog tv tuner at one point, but ended up going back to the HDTV wonder when it didn't work either. Thanks.

moab

Portal Pro
April 22, 2008
California
Home Country

Since I'm talking to myself, I might as well keep documenting what I'm finding with the hopes that in the future this will make sense to someone else.

Even after updating the capturecards.xml file with the proper pin connections the channel scan still didn't work. I tried to add channels manually after getting all the channel info from my hdtv set top tuner. Unfortunately the channel says it's not linked to a tuner and I can't figure out how to "link" it. back to the drawing board!

Attached is my tv.log file. You'll notice that I swapped in an analog tv tuner at one point, but ended up going back to the HDTV wonder when it didn't work either. Thanks.

Can you fill out your "My System" profile so that we can see your set up easily?

I am very suprised that you have had to resort to manually editing configuration files. This does not sound right as there have to be hundreds of users with your same set up.
Can someone else with an HDTV Wonder card comment on their experience. I use the Haupauge 1600 and 1300 which work. Channel scan has always worked for me for various MP versions and SVNs, even though I had other issues.
I do not use SVNs anymore as they caused more issues for me than they fixed. Another tip is to manually remove the reg entries and files after you do an un-install. I would verify you un-install everything including SQL express and then delete the MP and SQL folders and reg entries.
Sorry you are having so many issues. I can relate as I had my share too at first. I found that you hardly need to configure anything to get the thing working.

akajester

Portal Pro
October 13, 2008
Home Country

Can you fill out your "My System" profile so that we can see your set up easily?

I am very suprised that you have had to resort to manually editing configuration files. This does not sound right as there have to be hundreds of users with your same set up.
Can someone else with an HDTV Wonder card comment on their experience. I use the Haupauge 1600 and 1300 which work. Channel scan has always worked for me for various MP versions and SVNs, even though I had other issues.
I do not use SVNs anymore as they caused more issues for me than they fixed. Another tip is to manually remove the reg entries and files after you do an un-install. I would verify you un-install everything including SQL express and then delete the MP and SQL folders and reg entries.
Sorry you are having so many issues. I can relate as I had my share too at first. I found that you hardly need to configure anything to get the thing working.

Moab, I think my next step is to format and reinstall winxp altogether. I'll step throught the initial setup of MP again and see if something went wrong in the process. After looking through the logs does it make sense that it searches all frequencies at -1? I thought that looked odd. Thanks.

I filled out my system details. I don't see them on the side bar though.

akajester

Portal Pro
October 13, 2008
Home Country
Ok, I reinstalled windows xp with sp3,
1. added catalyst 8.5 drivers (to support dvxa)
2. installed the current hdtv wonder drivers from the ati website.
3. Installed MediaPortal RC3 and dvbfix

The card was detected fine but same issues in Media Portal as before. I setup WatchHDTV and it tuned perfectly. Just for the heck of it I installed all the ATI junk including the Multimedia center and even the ATI software can't work with the card! excellent.

I bit the bullet and ordered a Hauppauge HVR-2250, dual hybrid pci-express card. I'm excited to give this card a try and hope it works better than this ATI piece of junk! :) Thanks for listening.

moab

Portal Pro
April 22, 2008
California
Home Country
I just check your logs.

It looks like you have plugins installed. I don't install any plug-ins until after I have the basic set up working. Keep in mind that these are not always updated to work with new releases of MP. If you install them then it can corrupt your fresh install.

You should be trying to eliminate the variables that might introduce problems. Your keywords are bare bones, plain vanila and boiler plate until you have the basic install working. My approach is to start simple then layer on the complexity after a successful burn in period. I have a fresh XP install followed by MP. I don't monkey with the codecs.

Install and configure no extras and only default install options. I also saw that your SQL Express database password was not default "mediaportal" so there is another deviation from the norm.
Essentially I install RC3 doing no changes from default. I then go into configure tv server, it does an inital SQL test and prompts to start the service. That's it. I then reboot just because its windows.
I would stay well away from EPG as it causes nothing but trouble for me and I have never gotten it to work.

However that said it sounds like your ATI card was not supported in MP which is suprising.
Very odd that the ATI junk didn't even work out of the box with the card it came with.
Let me know how the Hauppauge card works out for you.
I use Windows XP MCE 2005 and you use standard XP so that is one difference. However I don't think this is an issue anymore with MP.
Good luck.

akajester

Portal Pro
October 13, 2008
Home Country
I just check your logs.

It looks like you have plugins installed. I don't install any plug-ins until after I have the basic set up working. Keep in mind that these are not always updated to work with new releases of MP. If you install them then it can corrupt your fresh install.

You should be trying to eliminate the variables that might introduce problems. Your keywords are bare bones, plain vanila and boiler plate until you have the basic install working. My approach is to start simple then layer on the complexity after a successful burn in period. I have a fresh XP install followed by MP. I don't monkey with the codecs.

Install and configure no extras and only default install options. I also saw that your SQL Express database password was not default "mediaportal" so there is another deviation from the norm.
Essentially I install RC3 doing no changes from default. I then go into configure tv server, it does an inital SQL test and prompts to start the service. That's it. I then reboot just because its windows.
I would stay well away from EPG as it causes nothing but trouble for me and I have never gotten it to work.

However that said it sounds like your ATI card was not supported in MP which is suprising.
Very odd that the ATI junk didn't even work out of the box with the card it came with.
I use Windows XP MCE 2005 and you use standard XP so that is one difference. However I don't think this is an issue anymore with MP.
Good luck.

One thing that I do after I install MP is to make sure the proper codecs are installed to play mkv files. I can't imagine that would interfere with another card, as it's not really used until the card is actually tuned. I understand your point though. Regarding the SQL database I never changed the password, it was a fresh install. The first time it ran I typed in "mediaportal" and it accepted the password. Not sure what was up with that. At one point I tested installing SQL manually, perhaps that was what you saw. It made no difference in the end. After I wiped the machine and started over it still didn't work. Anyways, just put in the hauppauge card and MP TV detected it perfectly. I'm setting it up now and should know tonight if it works. I'm hopeful! Thanks for your help!

akajester

Portal Pro
October 13, 2008
Home Country
MP found channels with the Hauppauge card installed. woohoo!

Ok, it looks like I got it working now. Only 3 issues, perhaps you know something about these;

1. When I watch some channels I get a squiggly flashing line on the top of the pictures. It's like the top row of pixels is out of whack or something. Any ideas?

2. The EPG doesn't seem to be getting any info.

I'll keep poking around the forums, I'm sure these have been addressed somewhere, if I can find it!

Thanks!

moab

Portal Pro
April 22, 2008
California
Home Country
I just check your logs.

Good luck.

One thing that I do after I install MP is to make sure the proper codecs are installed to play mkv files. I can't imagine that would interfere with another card, as it's not really used until the card is actually tuned. I understand your point though. Regarding the SQL database I never changed the password, it was a fresh install. The first time it ran I typed in "mediaportal" and it accepted the password. Not sure what was up with that. At one point I tested installing SQL manually, perhaps that was what you saw. It made no difference in the end. After I wiped the machine and started over it still didn't work. Anyways, just put in the hauppauge card and MP TV detected it perfectly. I'm setting it up now and should know tonight if it works. I'm hopeful! Thanks for your help!

How did it go? Perhaps you were up all night watching TV.... ;)

akajester

Portal Pro
October 13, 2008
Home Country
How did it go? Perhaps you were up all night watching TV.... ;)

Worked great! I also wipe out my htpc and started over, to make sure I had only the drivers I needed and the perfect codec setup, and a fresh MP install. It's working great! The Hauppauge card detected perfect after the dvbfix. The greatest part is the onboard acceleration, when I'm watching HDTV I'm getting like 10% cpu on my p4 2.8ghz! Even while recording. Now if I could just get WebEPG figured out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom