ATSC Card Owners: Come here for Support (1 Viewer)

Commodore 64

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2005
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Glad to see you guys are still plugging away on the ATSC front.

We got a DVR from AT&T, so I only use MP for file playing now so I'm out of the ATSC game.

moab

Portal Pro
    April 22, 2008
    California
    Home Country
    1. Squiggly flashing line
    I too get the moving mini bar code at the top of the screen for some channels.
    I am thinking that it is closed caption (aka subtitles) data or something like that.
    If you press the info button on your remote you get an option to "crop" it might be under resize image or someother menu heading.
    You want to trim the first few pixels off the top of the signal. It should remember the setting for that channel.

2. EPG fails
    I have same issue.
    Never have gotten EPG working, not once.
    The instructions make it sound easy and the steps are simple enough.
    If someone can tell me how they got it working and for which channel I would be grateful?
    I am interested in any channel as I just want to see a known working test.

moab

Portal Pro
    April 22, 2008
    California
    Home Country
    I am thinking of signing up with Comcast for cable.
    I found out that alot of basic cable packages include over the air HD ATSC signal converted to a QAM signal.
    My card has QAM support and basic cable is on promo so I am going to sign up and test it.

akajester

Portal Pro
    October 13, 2008
    Home Country
    1. Squiggly flashing line
    I too get the moving mini bar code at the top of the screen for some channels.
    I am thinking that it is closed caption (aka subtitles) data or something like that.
    If you press the info button on your remote you get an option to "crop" it might be under resize image or someother menu heading.
    You want to trim the first few pixels off the top of the signal. It should remember the setting for that channel.

2. EPG fails
    I have same issue.
    Never have gotten EPG working, not once.
    The instructions make it sound easy and the steps are simple enough.
    If someone can tell me how they got it working and for which channel I would be grateful?
    I am interested in any channel as I just want to see a known working test.

I found out (back in RC3) that the Aeon skin had the line on top but the Blue3 skin did not. Perhaps they mask it out in the Blue3 skin?

let us know how the QAM thing works out. I won't pay for TV, I'm too cheap, so I just do OTA ATSC. :)

moab

Portal Pro
    April 22, 2008
    California
    Home Country
    Update

How did it go? Perhaps you were up all night watching TV.... ;)

Worked great! I also wipe out my htpc and started over, to make sure I had only the drivers I needed and the perfect codec setup, and a fresh MP install. It's working great! The Hauppauge card detected perfect after the dvbfix. The greatest part is the onboard acceleration, when I'm watching HDTV I'm getting like 10% cpu on my p4 2.8ghz! Even while recording. Now if I could just get WebEPG figured out!

I finally got the EPG working after 2 years!
    It turns out that the webEPGs built in to mediaportal for the USA are duds.
    I then looked at CTTVLISTINGS PLUGIN and found that that was also a dud with the provider shutdown.
    The solution was to use the Schedules Direct plugin created by Patrick. The catch is that it relies on using a TV guide provider for $20 a year. I set it up with a Schedules Direct free 7 day trial to make sure it would work. I will pay it. $20 is cheap when I consider how much time i have invested. Particks plugin is of course free and that man deserves a medal!
    The Schedules Direct plugin instructions are a little light so here is what to do.

Setup TV Guide Provider
    1. set up your free 7 day trial account at Schedules Direct. Write down your account name and password for later.
    2. Schedules Direct send a confirm email with code to you.
    3. enter the code into your account information screen.
    4. add a lineup based on your zip code.
    5. it will display a list of channels that it thinks you get.
    6. enable and disable channels as needed. You can figure out which ones you need by looking at the channel numbers major and minor numbers in the Mediaportal TV server config - tv channels.

Install Plugin
    1. Stop your TV Server service.
    2. Download the latest plugin version 1.1a
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/attachments/plugins-47/18741d1206277310-schedules-direct-us-canadian-mexico-epg-plugin-updated-10-01-2007-schedulesdirectplugintve3-v1.1a.zip
    3. Unzip the dll and put it in the C:\program files\team mediaportal\tvserver\plugins folder.
    4. Run TV server config, it will ask to start service, click Yes.
    5. Click TV channels and click Clear button to remove them all.
    6. Run Channel Scan to re-auto tune your channels (same as what you did to set them up originally)
    7. Once all channels are added, click plugins, open the Schedule Direct Plugin
    8. Enter you SchedulesDirect user account name and password (it is case sensitive).
    9. Check the box to force EPG update on TV Server service startup.
    10. Click Save.
    11. Stop and Restart the TV server service to force it to grab your EPG.
    12. (Optional for the geek minded - look at your tv.log file to verify SchedulesDirectPluggin is collecting your channels.)
    13. After a couple of minutes your EPG should be done.

The plugin directly updates the EPG in the SQL database so no messing with all that webEPG stuff.
    Channels are automatically mapped to the EPG by the plugin looking at the channel number in MediaPortal TV Server config and getting the matching channel number from Schedule Direct. You don't need to worry about channel code names.

akajester

Portal Pro
    October 13, 2008
    Home Country
    Wow Moab, that rocks! It's working! I can't believe my eyes! This is so worth the $20 / year!

neognat

Portal Member
    August 22, 2006
    I just cannot get the VBox DTA-150 to work in my TV server. I have a Hauppauge PVR-150 installed and working fine. The VBox card show up on the list of cards in the TV Server area. When I scan for channels, it rolls through the list in about five seconds with this message for each channel: "physical channel:XX frequency:-1 modulation:Mod8Vsb: No signal" There are channels available because I can tune them in with other tuners. I can also find channels using the TV signal meter provided by VBox. There's something wrong with the MP configuration, I think. I've spent hours searching the forum and trying all kinds of different things, but have had no luck. My next step will be to reinstall the OS and work up from there. It still seems that I shouldn't be having so much trouble because it seems that a lot of other folks really like this card. I don't know what to do next. Any suggestions would be sincerely appreciated.

akajester

Portal Pro
    October 13, 2008
    Home Country
    I just cannot get the VBox DTA-150 to work in my TV server. I have a Hauppauge PVR-150 installed and working fine. The VBox card show up on the list of cards in the TV Server area. When I scan for channels, it rolls through the list in about five seconds with this message for each channel: "physical channel:XX frequency:-1 modulation:Mod8Vsb: No signal" There are channels available because I can tune them in with other tuners. I can also find channels using the TV signal meter provided by VBox. There's something wrong with the MP configuration, I think. I've spent hours searching the forum and trying all kinds of different things, but have had no luck. My next step will be to reinstall the OS and work up from there. It still seems that I shouldn't be having so much trouble because it seems that a lot of other folks really like this card. I don't know what to do next. Any suggestions would be sincerely appreciated.

Have you checked the cards xml file? I know that card is listed as "supported", but follows these instructions to add a card that's not listed, and see if it matches up with the settings in the xml file;
    Add_TVCard_to_natively_supported_list - MediaPortal Manual Documentation

I tried an ati hdtv pci card and had issues, but the hauppauge worked perfectly. Sorry I can't be of more help! Good luck!

neognat

Portal Member
    August 22, 2006
    GraphEdit seems like a good tool, except it didn't work for me. I couldn't connect the pins. No matter how I did it, the pins couldn't agree on a connection. I think it's time to throw the VBox card in the trash can and try a different card. These cards just don't seem to be compatible with Media Portal. Does anyone have any suggestions for a card that has a reasonable posibilty of working?

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom