Audio is missing on some recordings (1 Viewer)

User 04

Portal Pro
April 14, 2008
Home Country
Hi,

Just to add a bit more, when recording in MPEG (.mpg), I get sound in SD but not HD.

This has been a problem with the DVICO software as well. Their latest software only allows recording in .tp.

This is from their website,

5. The Native MPG function was removed.
- To use the digital MPEG format, please refer to below link.
[ How to use the Digital MPEG ]

I can send log files if you wish.

It would be good to have an icon, specific to MediaPortal, for your .ts files.

I have attached zip file. Recorded, using MediaPortal, first in MPEG SD then MPEG HD, separately.

The only way to achieve sound with MPEG HD, is to play the file, using VideoReDo. Editing the file using VideoReDo, or using a tool of VideoReDo, QuickStream Fix, allows the file to be played with sound on other players.

Regards

HTPC-Geek

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 8, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    TV-Server Version: 1.0RC2
    MediaPortal Version: 1.0RC2
    MediaPortal Skin: Blue2
    Windows Version: XP 32-bit Pro SP3
    CPU Type: Amd Athlon64 3200+ 2GHz
    HDD: Samsung 160GB
    Memory: 2GB Corsair
    Motherboard: Asus A8V
    Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 6800GT
    Video Card Driver: forceware winxp 32bit 94.24 (recommended by Nvidia)
    Sound Card: Realtek AC'97 Audio for VIA
    Sound Card AC3:
    Sound Card Driver: 5.10.0.5530
    1. TV Card: Hauppauge HVR1300
    1. TV Card Type: analog
    1. TV Card Driver: 2.122.26109.0
    2. TV Card:
    2. TV Card Type:
    2. TV Card Driver:
    3. TV Card:
    3. TV Card Type:
    3. TV Card Driver:
    4. TV Card:
    4. TV Card Type:
    4. TV Card Driver:
    MPEG2 Video Codec: ffdshow
    MPEG2 Audio Codec: ffdshow
    h.264 Video Codec: ffdshow
    Satelite/CableTV Provider: Unitymedia
    HTPC Case: Silverstone GD01-MX
    Cooling:
    Power Supply: Targan, 480W
    Remote: Soundgraph, iMon Pad
    TV: Samsung CW28D83N
    TV - HTPC Connection: S-Video

I am sorry to say that the missing sound problem in the 2nd recording happens to .ts files aswell to me.
    I record one series at 17:00 and the 2nd one at 19:00, the 2nd recording got no sound.

adrianrdaw

February 1, 2007
    Ruislip
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    For what it's worth, I have just installed MP1 final and am experiencing the same problems described, however, when the files are played via PowerDVD there is sound!

Andrew H

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 8, 2007
    Alabama
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I have a two Hybrid-card setup and only use ATSC. OCCASIONALLY I'm not getting sound on the second card's recordings. I use .mpg format.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    I have a two Hybrid-card setup and only use ATSC. OCCASIONALLY I'm not getting sound on the second card's recordings. I use .mpg format.

Old issue, with no possible fix. Microsoft MPEG demuxer doesn't support all audio formats -> nothing we can do. Please use .ts as recording format.

Andrew H

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 8, 2007
    Alabama
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I don't understand. WHY is it the MS MPEG demuxer? The files are written by the TV-Server yet only some have no audio. It's not that I can't play them... even the MP log says there is no audio track... as does VLC Player. I did run one through G-Spot and it said there was a LVDM (or something like that) audio track but couldn't play it. So again: why does the Media Portal TV-Server write some .mpg files correctly and others without audio? Moreover, how is this an issue for the demuxer? Or are you saying the demuxer is at fault during the recording of the .mpg file -- that it's demuxing the .ts broadcast stream to create the .mpg formated file? Please help me understand or are we talking past one another?

I was very happy with the playability of the dvr-ms files created under 0.2.3.0 but you guys opted in favor of your custom-written TV3 engine. I never had these issues before, so why is your new engine so much better? Why does this seem to effect only some of the files? Perhaps there's a bug in the engine?

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    I don't understand. WHY is it the MS MPEG demuxer? The files are written by the TV-Server yet only some have no audio. It's not that I can't play them... even the MP log says there is no audio track... as does VLC Player. I did run one through G-Spot and it said there was a LVDM (or something like that) audio track but couldn't play it. So again: why does the Media Portal TV-Server write some .mpg files correctly and others without audio? Moreover, how is this an issue for the demuxer? Or are you saying the demuxer is at fault during the recording of the .mpg file -- that it's demuxing the .ts broadcast stream to create the .mpg formated file? Please help me understand or are we talking past one another?

Sorry, I though you were having problems with playback only (didn't read the whole thread). If the recording doesn't have audio with VLC then the issue is most likely in TVE3 side. MPEG recording format might be dropped as it have few issues (that cannot be fixed in MediaPortal code).

- Not possible to play ongoing recordings (MS MPEG demuxer issue, opens files in wrong mode).
    - Not possible to support all audio formats (MS MPEG demuxer issue)

I would suggest you to try if you get the same issue when recording into TS format.

I was very happy with the playability of the dvr-ms files created under 0.2.3.0 but you guys opted in favor of your custom-written TV3 engine. I never had these issues before, so why is your new engine so much better? Why does this seem to effect only some of the files? Perhaps there's a bug in the engine?

Happy or not, but we weren't :)

SBE (used in old TV engine) doesn't support following (most likel I'm missing something from the list):

- DVB subtitles
    - teletext subtitles
    - all possible audio formats
    - streaming
    - H264 video format (HD)

So, in short it is really limited and don't have all the needed features.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I was very happy with the playability of the dvr-ms files created under 0.2.3.0 but you guys opted in favor of your custom-written TV3 engine. I never had these issues before, so why is your new engine so much better?

You also have to note, that M$ has now dropped this format from its OS because of its limitations, especially now HD has become more available from broadcasters, so it is a case of looking to the future, not the past :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom