audio not synced, stutter problems when refreshrate is 24hz (2 Viewers)

anvandarnamn

Portal Pro
February 15, 2007
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
Got that same problem too. audio not synced and stutter problems.
My HTPC is connected via a HDMI-cable to my LCD-TV.
Now I had the idea to use the VGA-input of the tv. I thought, that something could be wrong with the HDMI-signal.
I changed the cable and it seems to work. I had only a "natural 24hz stuttering", audio was sync every time I jumped forward or backward. :)
I tested a few movies and everything was better than before. VGA was better than HDMI. Don't know why.
Resolution is the same => 1920x1080. But here I used 60hz!

There is no sync problem when playing 24p files at 60hz, only at 24hz or 23,976hz.

There are no problems playing the same files in any other Mediaplayer using the exact same codecs. This is really strange....

I will try to post a sample but i dont know how to "cut" one so it doesnt get to big...

Snader

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 5, 2007
    Aalsmeer
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Today I tried the latest SVN with the internal refresh rate changer on my system. All movies, also the 24hz ones, play perfectly in sync for the first time since I started using MP. :eek:

Maybe it had something to do with the use of external programs like Display Changer?

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Maybe it had something to do with the use of external programs like Display Changer?

If you are using XP and there wasn't device lost event visible in the MediaPortal.log its highly likely that the external program that was used to change the refresh rate did not change it such way that it's visible to all parts of the OS.

Snader

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 5, 2007
    Aalsmeer
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I was celebrating to early... sometimes it seems to works fine. When MP is completely doing 'nothing' and I start a 24hz mkv it is in sync. Then when I do a step back in the movie, it depends how busy the machine is. If it is busy (for instance with a recording, or 2) it is completely out of sync when it plays again. It seems to be the time that takes MP to resume playing agian. Sound always seems to start first, then the video comes along... causing it being out of sync. When stopping the movie and wait a moment till the PC seems idle again, and starting the movie, it is in sync!

Tried several codecs for this, all the same behaviour. Also SAF with DXVA turned on and off... It looks like MP starts playing the sound but has something to do before it starts the video, depending on how busy the machine is at that time. This delay is varying and is 'exactly' the out of sync time between sound and video.

This is not happening in other display frequencies though...

(Vista, EVR btw)

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Could you check what GraphEdit shows as the frame rate (EVR filter properties). Check with 24hz and other ones as well.

D

DMember 49125

I had the same problem and I solved it when I disabled 100 Hz function in my Philips 42pfl9703. Sounds strange but it is true.

Snader

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 5, 2007
    Aalsmeer
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Could you check what GraphEdit shows as the frame rate (EVR filter properties). Check with 24hz and other ones as well.
    Did some testing this evening:

Band.Of.Brothers.2001.E01.Currahee.1080p.HDDVD.x264-hV.mkv
    CPU at 30%

24hz
    In MP EVR average framespeed 0.00
    - way out of sync, it seems to take a short time before the video starts playing. Stays out of sync.
    In MPC, EVR average framespeed 23.8
    - in sync

25hz, 30hz, 50hz and 60hz
    - video shows up immediately. Out of sync when stepping forward or backward. Video seems to speed up (just after stepping with remote) to catch up with the sound within about 2 seconds... then, it's in sync.
    In MPC, EVR average framespeed 23.8
    - in sync

El Maquinista (The Machinist) 1280x720 23.98fps.mkv
    This one is with subs
    CPU at 35%

24hz
    - way out of sync, it seems to take a short time before the video starts playing. Stays out of sync. Sometimes it gets in sync by stopping it, waiting a moment and then starting it when the HTPC isn't doing much.
    - subs are in sync with the sound
    In MPC, EVR average framespeed 23.72
    - in sync

25hz, 30hz, 50hz and 60hz
    - video shows up immediately. Out of sync when stepping forward or backward. Video seems to speed up (just after stepping with remote) to catch up with the sound within about 2 seconds... then, it's in sync.
    - subs are in sync
    In MPC, EVR average framespeed 23.7
    - in sync

2 days in the valley vid 656x272 23.98fps 728Kbps.avi

24hz, 25hz, 30hz, 50hz and 60hz
    In MP, EVR average framespeed 0.00
    - in sync, even after stepping forward and backward a lot of times.
    In MPC, EVR average framespeed 23.55
    - in sync

I had the same problem and I solved it when I disabled 100 Hz function in my Philips 42pfl9703. Sounds strange but it is true.
    Tried it, doesn't work... it is even only an option in my TV menu and thus only available when watching 50hz material.

And yes, I own all these movies/series on original DVD's ;)

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    filter properties). Check with 24hz and other ones as well.
    Did some testing this evening:[/QUOTE]

Did you also try the refresh rate change outside MediaPortal? I.e. change to 24Hz before you are opening MP.

I didn't know that DVDs are supporting HD material :p

Snader

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 5, 2007
    Aalsmeer
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    filter properties). Check with 24hz and other ones as well.
    Did some testing this evening:

Did you also try the refresh rate change outside MediaPortal? I.e. change to 24Hz before you are opening MP.

I will try the same movies with the change to 24hz before opening MP.

I didn't know that DVDs are supporting HD material :p

Actually I do have bought one blu-ray which plays fine with your arcsoft player plugin which starts my PowerDVD... the home made remux of the m2ts file plays also in MP internal player.. but out of sync since it is 24hz material ;)

Snader

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 5, 2007
    Aalsmeer
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    This evening I tried to set the frequency to 24Hz, then start MP and then did the tests I did earlier. It made no difference al all.

I also tried this: Set the frequency to 24Hz, start MP, start 24hz movie. It was out of sync. While playing it not full screen, I swapped to 60hz... after about 2 seconds the movie and sound where in sync again. The movie played a bit faster for about one second and then was in sync with the sound!! :eek:

So, time for some more experimenting... When playing a PAL DVD 50hz, EVR shows also 0.00 average frames but is perfectly in sync when the TV is in 50hz. Then I switched the TV to 24hz... and started the PAL DVD 50hz. It plays... seems in sync. But when I skip a chapter or step forward or backward the playing freezes. I have to CTRL-ALT-DELETE to quit MP. To be sure I switch to 50hz againg, play the DVD and it works flawlesly. Switching to 24hz though and skipping a chapter of stepping forward or backward... it is CTRL-ALT-DELETE time again. For this... I attached my logs.

Hopefully these experiments can be of any use...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom