Audio pops/clicks only during Ch4 News and Weather (1 Viewer)

doveman

Portal Pro
February 12, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
MediaPortal Version: 1.2.3

Description
I have this very annoying problem every evening when I watch Ch4 News and Weather, which has constant audio pops and clicks throughout. No other programmes on Ch4 or any other channel appear to have this problem (except for the same programme on Ch4+1) and when I first noticed it some months ago I thought perhaps the channel/studio had a problem with their equipment, but it's clear now that the problem must be at my end.
I was watching it on Ch4+1 tonight, so it was 8pm-9pm.
I've uploaded a 30MB TS clip of the Weather to http://www.mediafire.com/?zs57yven243menw and I'd be grateful if someone could take a look as this is driving me nuts!

Steps to Reproduce:
Watch Channel 4 News and Weather (on Ch4 or Ch4+1).

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    You reported this in a different post just over a week ago here

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/clicks-and-pops-only-during-ch4-news.108907/

and I asked you a question in order to try to help you. You didn't reply.

The lack of response to your previous post would suggest that you are the only one with this particular issue. You do seem to have more problems than most with video playback. I suspect that there is a compatibility issue somewhere along the line, but it is going to be hard to find.

I will download the TS sample later and see if I can find any problems. Have you looked online for tools that will analyse TS files? VideoRedo will tell you if there are problems, if you do a quickstream fix.

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Bolton, Lancashire, England
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi Doveman,

I can confirm that I heard some clicks on playback of the file, and also a slight vertical jump of the picture too. I tried playback in MP, Windows Media Player and VLC at the sound was the same on all three, as was the slight vertical jump in the picture.

I note this was from Ch4 +1, what is it like from the non-shifted broadcast?

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    Hi Doveman,

I can confirm that I heard some clicks on playback of the file, and also a slight vertical jump of the picture too. I tried playback in MP, Windows Media Player and VLC at the sound was the same on all three, as was the slight vertical jump in the picture.

+1

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    VideoReDo isn't reporting any actual corruption in the file, but there is obviously something wrong with it.

It is very unlikely that there is a fault with the transmission, and there obviously isn't a fault in the playback in MP, so I would guess a problem with your TV card or aerial.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    so I would guess a problem with your TV card or aerial.

Those would be seen as faults in the stream and VideoReDo would pick those up (there is only a slight change that it wouldn't see any issues when the stream is corrupt).

Either the stream has something invalid in it that the VideoReDo wont pick up or TsWriter is managing to damage the stream in such way that it looks sane.

I couldn't download the .ts file so I couldn't take a deeper look into it.

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    Watching the video, the vertical jumps are annoying. I barely noticed the pops/clicks. However, overall it doesn't seem too bad.

Do you see this every time you watch anything on channel 4, or just the news and weather? Maybe they make a mess of encoding it.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Yes, me too.

+1
    ...and what is the video format of the original broadcast?
    I could be completely wrong but the video bumps seem like interlacing cadence/conversion issues.

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    You reported this in a different post just over a week ago here

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/clicks-and-pops-only-during-ch4-news.108907/

and I asked you a question in order to try to help you. You didn't reply.

The lack of response to your previous post would suggest that you are the only one with this particular issue. You do seem to have more problems than most with video playback. I suspect that there is a compatibility issue somewhere along the line, but it is going to be hard to find.

I will download the TS sample later and see if I can find any problems. Have you looked online for tools that will analyse TS files? VideoRedo will tell you if there are problems, if you do a quickstream fix.

Sorry, for some reason that thread didn't get marked "Watch" so I wasn't aware you'd replied. Neither did this one but luckily I noticed quite soon this time!

To answer your question in the other thread, no I use a RAMdisk for my timeshifting files and don't have any problems with channel changes or starting of recordings.[DOUBLEPOST=1341426125][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Hi Doveman,

Hi porky996t, thanks for testing the file. I have the same problem whether I watch it on Ch4 or Ch4+1.[DOUBLEPOST=1341426196][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Watching the video, the vertical jumps are annoying. I barely noticed the pops/clicks. However, overall it doesn't seem too bad.

Do you see this every time you watch anything on channel 4, or just the news and weather? Maybe they make a mess of encoding it.

It's just the Ch4 News and Weather (on Ch4 or Ch4+1).[DOUBLEPOST=1341426495][/DOUBLEPOST]

Those would be seen as faults in the stream and VideoReDo would pick those up (there is only a slight change that it wouldn't see any issues when the stream is corrupt).

Either the stream has something invalid in it that the VideoReDo wont pick up or TsWriter is managing to damage the stream in such way that it looks sane.

I would also think that if there was a problem with my TV card or aerial, it wouldn't only affect Ch4 News and Weather in this way?

I couldn't download the .ts file so I couldn't take a deeper look into it.

Would it be helpful if I uploaded it somewhere other than Mediafire?[DOUBLEPOST=1341426588][/DOUBLEPOST]
    ...and what is the video format of the original broadcast?
    I could be completely wrong but the video bumps seem like interlacing cadence/conversion issues.

Thanks for testing the file. How would I check the video format of the broadcast?

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country

I would also think that if there was a problem with my TV card or aerial, it wouldn't only affect Ch4 News and Weather in this way?

Well, it's equally unlikely that a MediaPortal bug would only affect one program on one channel.

I really have no idea. If I have time, I will watch the weather on channel 4 this evening.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom