Audio sync problems on LAV filters (1 Viewer)

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Final bin with the option removed from code :)

upload_2018-12-29_14-51-29.png

Attachments

• Core_V4_Delay.zip
      3 MB

alexdepalma

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 31, 2008
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Final bin with the option removed from code :)

View attachment 199698
    All good! perfect!
    my only suggestion will be change the frase from negative to positive. Like: Remember the setting for next playback... or
    Keep delay setting for further playback...
    Second minor suggestion, could be the GUI bar Window on the side instead of centered and smaller size. that will allow a better libsync on news (for instance) keeping the center of the image clean....

Good job!

Last edited:

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    The wording can be change :p
    About the GUI, I'm not an expert :( so can't change this.

daWooky

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 3, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    nice additional enhancements(y)
    @alexdepalma about the bar position. that depends on the skin u use. so if you wanna change it u have to edit your skin common.osd.buttons.xml....(search for the two a/v delay entries)

@Sebastiii btw. an additional "step" in the menu text for the subs would also be advisable
    pls_add_step.png

mrstef

Portal Pro
    March 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Hey Sebastiii, nice work! I have a feature suggestion related to this.

My TV (and probably many others) introduces an image delay that is dependant on input frame rate. The delay introduced is always 7 frames, but since I use the Dynamic Refresh Rate to change frame rate, the audio delay needs to be set differently for different content. Example:

TV (50Hz): 1/50 = 0.020s. 7 frames delay => 0.020 * 7 = 140ms
    Movies(24FPS): 1/24 = 0.042s. 7 frames delay => 0.042 * 7 = 292ms

So would it be possible to add a column in the Dynamic Refresh Rate dialog for audio delay, so we can specify different audio delays for different framerates? :) I think that would mean less manual adjustment for everyone,...

I actually did an implementation for this a few years back, dynamically adjusting the LAV audio filter delay based on FPS from Dynamic Refresh Rate, but I never got it to a state worth submitting,... :whistle:

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    My TV (and probably many others) introduces an image delay that is dependant on input frame rate. The delay introduced is always 7 frames,
    Interesting. How did you determine this?

mrstef

Portal Pro
    March 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Interesting. How did you determine this?

I created a video based on pictures where each frame just showed the frame number on the screen. So frame 1 of the video showed "1" on the screen, frame 2 showed "2" etc. I then rendered the video with different frame rates, one for 24FPS, one for 50FPS etc. I took a laptop and connected the it to my TV via HDMI, and placed it just below the TV so I could see both screens.

I made sure that the TV mirrored the screen of the laptop and then played back the different videos (making sure the refresh rate was set correctly) and captured a movie of both screen simultaneously using a high speed camera (filming at 240FPS). I could then analyze the resulting camera video and I could clearly see that no matter which refresh rate I chose, the TV always lagged 7 frames after the laptop screen (the frame number on the TV was always 7 steps behind the frame number on the laptop screen).

This approach is based on the assumption that the laptop screen has no delays which might not be 100% correct, but it was the best idea I could come up with to do some kind of estimation/profiling of the TV input lag, and when using the values I got as audio delays, it gave me very good lip sync results.

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Hi :)
    Good idea but a pain to add lol, because we can have a different rate for ex from MP or madVR and the setting will not match and that would mean to get current refresh rate information and match against a value. Not sure if it's possible to make it works easily like I have less time these days but I will think on it but no promises :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom