Automatic Refreshrate Changer (4 Viewers)

eXDee

Portal Pro
February 20, 2008
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Just got a new DVI-HDMI Cable. 8500GT > Connected to a Sony Bravia KLV-40D300A TV. Nvidia control panel tells me the native resolution is 1360x768, but i know it's 1366x768.

So i try and force it. As soon as i step over 1360x768 it auto ticks the interlace box. So i try 1366x768 @ 60hz, interlace has auto ticked (can't untick), and i get a disgusting interlaced picture which is scaled wrong. If i click advanced and manually set timings, i can untick deinterlace, but the TV says unsupported signal to each of the timing presets.

If i try 1360x768 @ 50hz instead of 60, i get unsupported signal. Same with 25hz. On the back of the panel it says 50/60hz, it has a PAL analogue tuner inside.

No idea what to do. Should i leave it at 1360x768 @ 60hz? Someone mentioned that it looked a lot smoother on their setup running at the panels native 1366 resolution.

Oh and 1280x720@50/60 is all blurry and scaled wrong, the cursor goes off the screen.

Halp!

aal

Portal Pro
July 15, 2006
Aal,

I think the nicest solution is a LCD/Plasma which supports 24,25, 30 50 and 60 hz input signals. Ofcourse you can do without 25 and 30hz, their just nice to have.. :)
Its also nice if the native resolution is 1920x1080 or 1280x720. Ofcourse preferably the first one here... But all this is nice to have.
These numers are just specs. Its also good to know what the TV's engine is doing with the incoming signal. Like sometimes a 1920x1080 is internally downscaled to 1280x720 to be processed by the engine. (100hz/movie effects etc..) and afterwards upscaled again to 1920x1080. This does not do the image quality a lot of good. A lot of the older LCD's have this. Newer LCD;s probably not anymore because they have more processing power and can process the 1080p signal.... A high quality TV review site is HDTV Reviews – LCD TV & Plasma Television Display Rating

Nice detail: I have an ATI 3450 as well and conected spdif to my receiver. I use a 32" Sony (D3000 series). Im very happy with it even though the native resolution is 1366x768... doesnt bother me.

Good luck

Thanks! I will check out that website for more information. But if i look at the MediaPortal screen survey it seems that the majority uses 1920x1080. That is most likely going to be the standard for a lot of things. I think i will focus on that with the possibility to cope with 24,50 and 60hz signals.

5Hundred

Portal Pro
December 14, 2007
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
eXDee - the native resolution is 1360 x 768 although your panel has a total of 1366 x 768 pixels, when its using the native resolution there will be 3 columns of pixels at each side unused. I have no idea why! Your manual clearly states that 1360 x 768 is a 60HZ resolution and not 50HZ.

The smoothness of a display is closely related to the refresh rate versus the frame rate of the input, the whole point of this plugin. As you live in NZ, live TV is PAL and 50 HZ, therefore to get the smoothest display you need to run at 50HZ. With this TV that would mean the 720P (1280 x 720) would be your best option. It will overscan this as you have discovered (hence the blurryiness) but you can make a resolution within a resolution to bring the edges of your windows screen to te edges of the TV. Powerstrip and ATI have this option so i'd be surprised if Nvidia drivers did not. Whilst this will never be as pin sharp as the native resolution remember that shows are broadcast in 1280 x 720 or 1980 x 1080, neither of which is the native resolution of your TV. This means that there will always be some scaling of the picture required so it can fit on your TV screen. This is why i recommend 1280 x 720 for you as whilst windows might not look so sharp i think you cannot tell when watching TV whether your TV is operating at 1360 x 768 or 1280 x 720.

Ultimately play around with it and see what suits you best, for me the 50hz requirement beats the need for native resolution when watching TV every time.

PS it might be best if we discuss this further in a new thread as its really getting away from this plugin

Seeco

Portal Pro
October 15, 2007
Linköping
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
I just wanted to hear if anybody else has tried using the Moving Pictures plugin together with this RR-changer plugin? When I tried this I got a strange problem, when I started a video from Moving Pictures and the RR changed, when the movie actually started it wasn't in focus (or something like that), so I had no control over it with the remote. Anybody?

edterbak

Portal Pro
March 4, 2008
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Seeco.. ehh.. yeah.. me too.. Thought I messed something up in the installation or something.. but its a bug of some sort if you see it too.

Seeco

Portal Pro
October 15, 2007
Linköping
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
Well it's a real shame because I love both plug-ins, although the RR-changer is something I can absolutely not be without. I'm not sure of where to turn with this problem though, this thread or the one about Moving Pictures? Maybe a joint operation? :)

gibman

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 4, 2006
    Aarhus
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Can I see the logs for this ?

Also what is ur RR config ?

knowing devicereset option is quite important.

/gibman

Well it's a real shame because I love both plug-ins, although the RR-changer is something I can absolutely not be without. I'm not sure of where to turn with this problem though, this thread or the one about Moving Pictures? Maybe a joint operation? :)

Seeco

Portal Pro
    October 15, 2007
    Linköping
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Absolutely! :) Here are my RR-plug-in settings:

Code:
        <entry name="autochangerefreshrate">yes</entry>
        <entry name="cinema_ext">c:\windows\system32\rundll32.exe NvCpl.dll,dtcfg setmode 1 1920 1080 32 24</entry>
        <entry name="pal_ext">c:\windows\system32\rundll32.exe NvCpl.dll,dtcfg setmode 1 1920 1080 32 50</entry>
        <entry name="ntsc_ext">c:\windows\system32\rundll32.exe NvCpl.dll,dtcfg setmode 1 1920 1080 32 60</entry>
        <entry name="tv_ext">c:\windows\system32\rundll32.exe NvCpl.dll,dtcfg setmode 1 1920 1080 32 50</entry>
        <entry name="cinema_fps">23.976;24</entry>
        <entry name="pal_fps">25</entry>
        <entry name="ntsc_fps">29.97;30</entry>
        <entry name="tv_fps">25</entry>
        <entry name="cinema_hz">24</entry>
        <entry name="pal_hz">50</entry>
        <entry name="ntsc_hz">60</entry>
        <entry name="tv_hz">50</entry>
        <entry name="default_hz">pal_hz</entry>
        <entry name="use_default_hz">no</entry>
        <entry name="devicereset">yes</entry>

And the log is enclosed below. I entered Mediaportal (under 50Hz RR), went to Moving Pictures, started a 24fps movie (RR changed to 24Hz), had to press the "windows" button on my MCE remote which brought me to the basic home menu, from there I exited. The fact that I can use the remote like this I guess means that the video isn't in focus. Instead the remote seems to control the MP interface "behind" the movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom