Automatic Refreshrate Changer (1 Viewer)

Shield2

Portal Member
March 6, 2009
Home Country
Germany Germany
50 Hz no problem on a 60 Hz display ?

I am currently looking for a monitor that supports 1680x1050 (or maybe 1920x1200) at 50 Hz so I won't get into judder problems (tv is 50 not 60 hz here in germany). I'm still very much surprised that it's so very very hard to find such a model, and even more, that this seems not a big deal. Because this hardware-related problem can be fixed by a piece of software, like the Automatic Refreshrate Changer ? Wouldn't I run the risk of damaging the monitor if the gfx card enforces a 50 Hz PAL mode which is not supported by the display ?

:confused:

riadmelb

Portal Pro
July 9, 2006
Melbourne
Home Country
I am currently looking for a monitor that supports 1680x1050 (or maybe 1920x1200) at 50 Hz so I won't get into judder problems (tv is 50 not 60 hz here in germany). I'm still very much surprised that it's so very very hard to find such a model, and even more, that this seems not a big deal. Because this hardware-related problem can be fixed by a piece of software, like the Automatic Refreshrate Changer ? Wouldn't I run the risk of damaging the monitor if the gfx card enforces a 50 Hz PAL mode which is not supported by the display ?

The monitor/tv will most likely have a circuit protection to reject such a signal and display a "Signal not supported" message.

winniwinter

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 5, 2009
    Freiburg
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

Hi I have a pana pz85e 46". I am able to set the refreshrate+resolution to 1920x1080@50hz and 1920x1080@24hz.
    I also tried to force the tv to 1920x1080@60hz which I normally could not enter manually. Worked also very well! :D

Now I have a question to all using moving pictures. Are you facing any problems with refreshrate changer and this plugin (now version 7.2) otherwise I would try the plugin...

elvis56

Portal Pro
    January 5, 2009
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Now I have a question to all using moving pictures. Are you facing any problems with refreshrate changer and this plugin (now version 7.2) otherwise I would try the plugin...

Well I am using it and for the most part my videos seem fine. I mostly seem to get sporatic studdering when I watch my Tv Episodes in .avi format. I have it set to use Refresh Rate Changer and also checked the Force Refresh Rate box. I think that is how it should be set up. I didn't see any tutorials on the options so I kind of just guessed what I should check lol

Between all the options you have in MP, the TV itself and my ATI video card settings, it can get quite overwhelming and confusing unless you really know what you are doing. I know I don't lol

winniwinter

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 5, 2009
    Freiburg
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    At the moment mediaportal with refreshrate changer works just fine. At first I had audio sync probs. Now with reclock it seems ok. I also had some juddering on .avi (XVID) files. I recognized that that was no real juddering. I had dropped frames every few minutes. I was using PDVD codec. Then I tried ffdshow then 4 xvid. now everything runs very smooth. so everytime im installing a new "feature" I fear to get new problmes (never change a running system).
    now when i install a new plugin or something i create at first a new backup with acronis :)

iancalderban

Portal Pro
    December 12, 2008
    milton keynes
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom

For best 50hz PAL viewing you want a TV to connect your HTPC to. Any decent lcd/plasma will accept 50 and 60hz inputs, and often 24 as well now. possibly one of those devices thats sold as a "monitor/TV" may do - but those are never ideal for either job. Almost all devices sold as PC monitors with LCD panels, are 60hz lowest input frequency. As the other poster says - if you under-sync it, it will just blank the display, when you hit apply, you wait 15 seconds and windows puts it back to what it was before. CRT monitors (remember them!) usualy do 50Hz (I have a 21" looking for a home :D), but you would usually see the flicker.

I use my primary MP viewing at 50hz into a plasma from my htpc and it looks just right with all PAL material. Occasional use from my laptop into an lcd monitor (dell 27") at 60hz - which is the lowest the monitor can be driven - and it doesn't look ideal.

Ian

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

For best 50hz PAL viewing you want a TV to connect your HTPC to. Any decent lcd/plasma will accept 50 and 60hz inputs, and often 24 as well now. possibly one of those devices thats sold as a "monitor/TV" may do - but those are never ideal for either job. Almost all devices sold as PC monitors with LCD panels, are 60hz lowest input frequency. As the other poster says - if you under-sync it, it will just blank the display, when you hit apply, you wait 15 seconds and windows puts it back to what it was before. CRT monitors (remember them!) usualy do 50Hz (I have a 21" looking for a home :D), but you would usually see the flicker.

I use my primary MP viewing at 50hz into a plasma from my htpc and it looks just right with all PAL material. Occasional use from my laptop into an lcd monitor (dell 27") at 60hz - which is the lowest the monitor can be driven - and it doesn't look ideal.

Ian

Most Computer-LCDs at least accept 75Hz - which is fine for PAL as well.

winniwinter

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 5, 2009
    Freiburg
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    oh i thought you want a TV...sorry 4 the mistake. but as rtv says 75hz are also fine. as long as it is a multiple of 25! another option is reclock, which could speedup the video material to watch it at 60hz..

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    oh i thought you want a TV...sorry 4 the mistake. but as rtv says 75hz are also fine. as long as it is a multiple of 25! another option is reclock, which could speedup the video material to watch it at 60hz..

You certainly would not want to speed up movies / increase voices by 20%, would you? ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom